working on a jacobean house in cheshire

Members online

stokeplasterer

wood wool boards by north staffs plastering ltd 04.JPG haired lime backing coat by North Staffs Plastering.JPG lime putty finish by North Staffs Plastering.JPG photos of our work on a Jacobean house in Cheshire using wood wool board and lime plaster

we call that strammet board, it was made in suffolk in the 60s/70s. they use to build walls and garage roofs with it. we would float and set the walls and screed the garage / flat roofs on housing.
a jacobean house should be a listed property, and not have 60s board in it.

I so see nothing changes on here ! The property is listed and it was agreed with heritage that this is what they wanted, but hey everybody's entitled to a opinion I will post some more pics for you to criticize re wattle and daub, perhaps that's a 70's plastering system ??

Tell you what you have really pissed me off, what mix did you use ? How thick ? Hydraulic or none hydraulic ? What pozzlalns did you use ? What catalyst did you use for the set? As a rule of thumb tell me how you knew it was dry enough for the lime putty ? As Rule of thumb how could you tell if it was to wet? How many linear meters of lath per m2 do you allow for lath and plaster ? Let's see how much you actually think you know my friend ? Tell me how you work out the amount of backing coat required for 200m2 at 20mm thick on riven lath ?its very easy to criticize, but let's see what you actually know,so don't piss about just answer what I have asked you.
I posted the pics for people who are interested in lime plastering not some body who is retired and can bearly remember lime plastering!!!! We use lime on a daily basis, let's see what you know

Tell you what you have really pissed me off, what mix did you use ? How thick ? Hydraulic or none hydraulic ? What pozzlalns did you use ? What catalyst did you use for the set? As a rule of thumb tell me how you knew it was dry enough for the lime putty ? As Rule of thumb how could you tell if it was to wet? How many linear meters of lath per m2 do you allow for lath and plaster ? Let's see how much you actually think you know my friend ? Tell me how you work out the amount of backing coat required for 200m2 at 20mm thick on riven lath ?its very easy to criticize, but let's see what you actually know,so don't piss about just answer what I have asked you.
I posted the pics for people who are interested in lime plastering not some body who is retired and can bearly remember lime plastering!!!! We use lime on a daily basis, let's see what you know
I hope it's not aimed at me, I haven't got time to google all that information and put it into my own words @gps would slaughter me :)

I so see nothing changes on here ! The property is listed and it was agreed with heritage that this is what they wanted, but hey everybody's entitled to a opinion I will post some more pics for you to criticize re wattle and daub, perhaps that's a 70's plastering system ??

Wtf, have you come home early from work and found the wife being a bit promiscuous ? Or maybe it's time of the month.

Chill out my friend

Malc is a good egg. I'm sure he didn't mean to patronise. He just likes sharing the info he knows from the olden days

What's the time between coats? When I worked in Somerset house doing lime and horse hair the timings on coats were something like 10 days between I think not 100% on that though was few years back all I remember was we spent ages going through building then working our way back over what we done again after a while

What's the time between coats? When I worked in Somerset house doing lime and horse hair the timings on coats were something like 10 days between I think not 100% on that though was few years back all I remember was we spent ages going through building then working our way back over what we done again after a while

I was taught to give it at least a week on brick or stone and 2 weeks on lathe. I pop back every couple of days in hot weather and mist the scratch coat too.

I was taught to give it at least a week on brick or stone and 2 weeks on lathe. I pop back every couple of days in hot weather and mist the scratch coat too.
Some reason 10 days sticks in the brain and I remember this old boy who knew how it was done kept saying the horse hair amount was important so many an inch or something finished in putty clay board done upstairs what a nightmare to get used to real eye opener to the old school ways

Yeh all of you are right , depends on thickness and temperature .
If there is enough work in front of you it's easy to check on how it's drying
Trouble is when it's a small job ! And in the winter it can take quite while. It's not to bad on the wood wool board and with lime hemp plaster it's a lot quicker.
And riven lath it seems to set quicker, perhaps because there is more surface area on the lath ( or as pugs says lathe) which I think are both correct.
Render in the summer can be a pain on the rare days it's hot, need to damp it down or cover it from direct sunlight

Do you mix your own gear stokeplasterer? All the lime work I get is through the same builder who deals with English heritage or whoever has the spec. I just turn up and chuck premix at the walls. It's something I always wanted to learn more about.

I'm not sure if this is the right name but I'm sure we used metstar as a bit of a hurry up in the mix not a lot but enough to help

Pug We always use Ty-Mawr South Wales tel 01874 61135
Pagey not heard of metstar but a pozzlan we use ( a hurry up) is ash, burnt ash
Don't know what they burn buts it's ash suppose it would be the same stuff after you had a coal fire

I love the fact it's all free hand or rules for corners then reverse them to do other way it's a personal favourite doing the free hand stuff and much more pleasure out of that than a skimmed wall

Mike Wye supplies nice gear too. Would love to do more of this work. Few and far between for me.