Work not great at the moment

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

aspotofbother

Anybody else here ever go through phases where their work is just not great?
Been skimming a room yesterday and today. And it just ain't going right, can't put my finger on it, but won't be showing this one off put it that way.

I've no doubt it'll turn again, but frustrating whilst I'm in the mire?!!

It's not the tools, or mats, just my eye/hand isn't in the game atm. More I try to correct it, more it goes wrong!
Need that beer tonight put it that way!![emoji481] [emoji481]

How's your lighting, this time of year some critical lighting can make the difference .

Sent from my HUAWEI G6-L11 using Tapatalk

Been skimming a room yesterday and today. And it just ain't going right, can't put my finger on it, but won't be showing this one off put it that way.

It's not the tools, or mats, just my eye/hand isn't in the game atm. More I try to correct it, more it goes wrong!
Life is how we see it and negative thoughts will often create just that, maybe lot on your mind?thats not helping. Generally its our own thoughts that drag us down , but remember they are just thoughts and we can change them quick as a thought :sisi:
Like stubbing toe getting out of bed and deciding its gonna be s**t day , drive off someone cuts you up. Drive after like nutjob have accident, late for job damaged motor unhappy customer . Get home no milk go out get some dinners burnt row with wife. All just stuff brought about by thought pattern , sometimes have to listen to the( mind chatter) thought process see how insane it is and where it constantly tries to take you.
image.jpeg

How's your lighting, this time of year some critical lighting can make the difference .

Probably isn't helping. It feels ok. Just doesn't look great. Hopefully customer will be happy!!

Just wondered if anyone else has those phases?

Like @A.plasterer says probably mostly just mindset.

Joys of life eh?!

Probably isn't helping. It feels ok. Just doesn't look great. Hopefully customer will be happy!!

Just wondered if anyone else has those phases?

Like @A.plasterer says probably mostly just mindset.

Joys of life eh?!
Nobody as critical of our work than ourselves , take 10 mins out get bit fresh air world and yer work all seem better (y) and reward yerself later n smile:birras:

Something I noticed with my old man -now retired- really fussy fecker, about ten yrs ago his skiming just went to shite, nice square reveals, good ceiling lines and skirting but loads of fat stains,most unlike him, turned his near sight was fecked, spec savers sorted for a hundred quid.

Plastering is defiantly a mind thing if your happy in yourself things seem easy ,take things easy and don't push yourself to much its no good being the richest corpse in the graveyard my old dad used to say ! Things will sort themselves out ....

Thing is, I'm quite happy atm. Never work too hard these days either.
I'm sure it'll pass. Went back to basics this afternoon. No spat, s*p*r*lex etc. And it did go slightly better.
Had eye sight checked recently so can rule that out.
Ho hum, 3/4 days off now, so hopefully things will be better next week.
Thanks for the gee up lads!!

You're like a footballer that's lost a bit of form, keep your head down work hard in training ,no late nights you just need a goal it doesn't matter if it goes in off your backside it all come good after that, remember form is temporally class is permanent!

I'm sure it'll pass. Went back to basics this afternoon. No spat, s*p*r*lex etc. And it did go slightly better.
I know what u saying I work on my own mostly and sometimes with my cousin and sometimes my old boss...me n my cousin phone each other most days to take pee out of other,while skimming in a room on ya own most of time even radio gets boring..
Some days I am cruising and he having a s**t one and vice versa...the light is always an issue this time a year too.

tbh sometimes having to many gadgets doesnt help...

just get out your sharpest finishing trowel and leave all the bullshite trowels,spats,bla bla in van...

get your head down and don't feck about with it just trowel it when it needs it and walk away until it needs another trowel...

I went through a stage like that last yr was trying all these different toys and was just confusing the issue...

then when your happy again with your work again perhaps just try and re introduce 1 item decide if it has a use then either keep it or bin it and so on...

I don't even know if am any good at skimming and I don't care. I always get paid so am doing something right or just lucky
To be fair, I wasn't really being job specific. Just how it's going for me atm!!
Just wondered if others ever get like it, regardless of what aspect they're doing!![emoji6]

Ive had toothache for a week .......not sleeping at night.......sometimes its easy to give the fuuck up !!
Ive had to cut my size of gauges right down cause I know I just cant be arsed with it.

You need to be on form in this game.

Sometimes a few days off from it will do you good mate.

Agree with some ... had my head up my arse the last few weeks - hasn't shown in my work more socially etc which isn't good tbh from a business point of view ... sadly the s**t on my mind isn't everyday life etc ..... just gotta drag yourself out of it - im also blaming the winter blues haha .... Back on it fulltime next week after a couple of patchy weeks whilst I sort things out as its all I could be bothered with .....

I done the same a good month ago, went back to basic tools. Was fed up carrying all that "crap" around. Also do other bits too other than plastering, so when it comes to it, it goes well and more satisfied after a days work. Sure it'll pass, everyone has a crap day or two everynowandthen.

Hope I don't have one of them days tomorrow because I've 2x 35msq rooms to skim in my own in 2 hits. Got a phone call few hours ago and was asked could I do it and said f**k it, I'll try it any way. I don't know if others could do a hit like this but I know something, I've never done it.

It's not big, hard nor clever!

I would usually just hit the 2 opposites which would be 10ish sq mtrs on both sides then hit the other 2 sides with window\door on next hit. Its what most people I know do. Have yet to see anyone take a whole room like that on in 1 hit so I think you might be telling porkies ;)

I would usually just hit the 2 opposites which would be 10ish sq mtrs on both sides then hit the other 2 sides with window\door on next hit. Its what most people I know do. Have yet to see anyone take a whole room like that on in 1 hit so I think you might be telling porkies ;)

yes mate see it day in day out every day for yrs...if on boardwork and all prepped up....

btw get there early and do it over 3/4 smaller gauges...on decent boardwork you can 1 coat/ use same gear to lay down with and see a gauge off in an 1hr 1/2...

much better to break it down than to struggle over 2 big gauges imo

Last edited:
Why is it plasterers are so happy to turn themselves inside out to bag a days work??!!

Builder asked me to do it because it needs done asap and hell give me double the money. All other plasterer's I know can't cone in with me tomorrow so going to try it my self.

Hope I don't have one of them days tomorrow because I've 2x 35msq rooms to skim in my own in 2 hits. Got a phone call few hours ago and was asked could I do it and said f**k it, I'll try it any way. I don't know if others could do a hit like this but I know something, I've never done it.
U be fine with the new 1.8 metre speed skimspeed

yes mate see it day in day out every day for yrs...if on boardwork and all prepped up....

This is on board work too. I'm probably worrying about nothing, its just I've never did a hit this big before or seen anyone do it so thought it was big. Are these gauges the norm over there?

Why is it plasterers are so happy to turn themselves inside out to bag a days work??!!

absoloutley bang on mate!!!....like ive said on here many a times plumbers/sparks/joiners turn up later have breaks finish earlier...

never here them flobbing there nobs over who fits a boiler or fuse board etc faster....

plasterers are the biggest cocks in building trade...even painters get same money for easier work these days

Status
Not open for further replies.