WORK 7 DAYS a week ?

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since the baby was born in feb, i recon ive had about 20ish days off max.
Took the leap into a big workshop and expanding and taking on/aiming for bigger job. So when i'm not working i'm not earning / progressing towards bigger better things. Loads to do on the business side of things not just actual physical work. Wont make it work if i dont put the hours in now whilst i have the chance

Took the leap into a big workshop and expanding and taking on/aiming for bigger job. So when i'm not working i'm not earning / progressing towards bigger better things. Loads to do on the business side of things not just actual physical work. Wont make it work if i dont put the hours in now whilst i have the chance

Phhh what's up with wickes coving 6 PCs for 30 quid...talk about complicating it like:inocente:

Fair play to you mike. You're in a niche side of plastering that not so many can do. Something that you can actually build a proper business from. Building a proper business is what I thought I'd be able to do with regular plastering /rendering when I went on my own. No so much anymore when every man and his dog are at it now.
Hope it keeps growing for you mate! (y)

I personally don't think there's anymore or less at it than there's ever been...its just that the moneys gone....the problem is with it being a trade without no real need for paperwork so no pricing level is set...

Someone on here sumd it up perfectly its a tramps trade now just 1 step up from labouring in most peoples eyes!

I personally don't think there's anymore or less at it than there's ever been...its just that the moneys gone....the problem is with it being a trade without no real need for paperwork so no pricing level is set...

Someone on here sumd it up perfectly its a tramps trade now just 1 step up from labouring in most peoples eyes!

There's definitely more at it zombie. It's crazy in the northwest were mobbed with them round here. It's unreal!

There's definitely more at it zombie. It's crazy in the northwest were mobbed with them round here. It's unreal!

Mmmmm maybe there is in south Yorkshire then also as its known as plastering tramp capital of england!!!

Could just be the rest of them can get out of bed in a morning unlike me and there already been and gone in wickes by the time I get there lol

If u have option of working 7 days think yourself lucky.it's your choice if your self employed. I'm cracking 50 still do 7 days if needed.
They are plenty of lads trying to scrape a wage out of this game so be grateful if you have option.when I look back missing years with the children it had to be done to get by,it is what it is,my father had to do it as well.just life.if you don't need the extra money don't do it.
It's not what it is it is your choice. You have put work before family and I done it myself for a good few years but never again. Get your prices up so there is no need to work 7 days

It's not what it is it is your choice. You have put work before family and I done it myself for a good few years but never again. Get your prices up so there is no need to work 7 days
Stu i tried lifting prices and found i Lost more Jobs to other guys as they are loads of spreads available good or Bad in my area.most customers are now only interested in £s.

The thing to lifting your prices is to loom at the customer's side of the deal. You know why you want/need to charge more, but why should the customer pay more?

The customer has a choice with everything that they buy and pay for as there are alternatives to everything except taxes. So what do you need to change so that the customer chooses your services at say £300:00 per day, as opposed to 'El cheapo plastering'? There are a lot of elements to it, some simple and free, some less obvious, and some that cost a fair bit to do.

Here's my OPINION, not the only approach, and it's continually tweeked and adjusted. I don't class it as marketing, although it probably is, I think of it more as presenting your business.

The first thing is the first point of contact with your business. Web site, advert, van spotted on the road, business card etc. I've left out recommendation deliberately as you are now targeting a different customer type/bracket. You want ones who are paying for a service, not the ones who want the wall/house plastered. I say that because the second lot want it done for the best price.

If all your first contact stuff basically says "Really good plasterer." then you're the same as all the others available. So review it all but do so as a customer who wants the best service, then see how it looks.

I would suggest you mention plastering, but describe what you do as 'interior wall finishes' or something equally grandiose. The only pictures of bare plaster on your site or flyer should be ones where it's actually going on the wall, trowel in hand. Show unrealistically tidy working conditions etc. All the completed work should show painted walls with all the woodwork finished and flooring down.

Once you hav e a quality feel to your first contact, look at the quote process. Clean tidy van with sign writing. You are proud of what you do and want everyone to know it. Your work is neat and precise, and that's how you treat your business. Your van is your most expensive tool, most exposed advert and your shopfront. Make it reflect all of that. Clean polo shirt and work trousers make you look like you work (not a salesman) but present a neat front.

Engage with the customer, pleasantries, compliment their house, whatever but make sure it's a conversation they'll remember for all the right reasons. Work into the conversation your experience, never slag off customers or other tradesmen, you're so far above them that they are completely insignificant. Explain that you can call on other professionals for things they may need. Offer them the choice to be invoiced by the other company or through you. Look, sound, act and talk like you are completely comfortable and capable of getting their project sorted.

Always quote in writing with as much detail as possible. Make sure that you tell them about the contract and that you will need to take or be sent pictures of the job when complete (decorated, kitchen fitted, flooring down etc.).

There's plenty more to it, but more than enough to work with and see the direction from that.

It's not for everyone, but then self-employment isn't for everyone. Some are more than happy to earn a living and not bother with the bullsh1t.

The thing to lifting your prices is to loom at the customer's side of the deal. You know why you want/need to charge more, but why should the customer pay more?

The customer has a choice with everything that they buy and pay for as there are alternatives to everything except taxes. So what do you need to change so that the customer chooses your services at say £300:00 per day, as opposed to 'El cheapo plastering'? There are a lot of elements to it, some simple and free, some less obvious, and some that cost a fair bit to do.

Here's my OPINION, not the only approach, and it's continually tweeked and adjusted. I don't class it as marketing, although it probably is, I think of it more as presenting your business.

The first thing is the first point of contact with your business. Web site, advert, van spotted on the road, business card etc. I've left out recommendation deliberately as you are now targeting a different customer type/bracket. You want ones who are paying for a service, not the ones who want the wall/house plastered. I say that because the second lot want it done for the best price.

If all your first contact stuff basically says "Really good plasterer." then you're the same as all the others available. So review it all but do so as a customer who wants the best service, then see how it looks.

I would suggest you mention plastering, but describe what you do as 'interior wall finishes' or something equally grandiose. The only pictures of bare plaster on your site or flyer should be ones where it's actually going on the wall, trowel in hand. Show unrealistically tidy working conditions etc. All the completed work should show painted walls with all the woodwork finished and flooring down.

Once you hav e a quality feel to your first contact, look at the quote process. Clean tidy van with sign writing. You are proud of what you do and want everyone to know it. Your work is neat and precise, and that's how you treat your business. Your van is your most expensive tool, most exposed advert and your shopfront. Make it reflect all of that. Clean polo shirt and work trousers make you look like you work (not a salesman) but present a neat front.

Engage with the customer, pleasantries, compliment their house, whatever but make sure it's a conversation they'll remember for all the right reasons. Work into the conversation your experience, never slag off customers or other tradesmen, you're so far above them that they are completely insignificant. Explain that you can call on other professionals for things they may need. Offer them the choice to be invoiced by the other company or through you. Look, sound, act and talk like you are completely comfortable and capable of getting their project sorted.

Always quote in writing with as much detail as possible. Make sure that you tell them about the contract and that you will need to take or be sent pictures of the job when complete (decorated, kitchen fitted, flooring down etc.).

There's plenty more to it, but more than enough to work with and see the direction from that.

It's not for everyone, but then self-employment isn't for everyone. Some are more than happy to earn a living and not bother with the bullsh1t.

Yep do all the above and they still say in barnsly....hoooooooe fukinnmuch???
????

Could go other way no van no advertising wear shorts and flip flop quote cash and pay no tax...turn up in wife's car fag hanging out of gob sign on on the side...

Probably have more money by end of WK sad but true

Yep do all the above and they still say in barnsly....hoooooooe fukinnmuch???
????

Could go other way no van no advertising wear shorts and flip flop quote cash and pay no tax...turn up in wife's car fag hanging out of gob sign on on the side...

Probably have more money by end of WK sad but true

If that's true for all of Barnsley, you need to stop working in Barnsley. I would also suggest you're not targeting your advertising/marketing accurately.

It's much easier to say this that or the other won't work and not try it than it is to accept that you need to change something fundamental.

That said, I'm quite happy for everyone to stick to their way of doing things. (y)

Stu i tried lifting prices and found i Lost more Jobs to other guys as they are loads of spreads available good or Bad in my area.most customers are now only interested in £s.
I understand mate but if you can't make a decent living working 5 days a week in your area wouldn't it be better finding a job doing something else? Honestly not having a go just curious as to why you would put yourself through that.

It varies from areas, working class areas there will be limited earnings.imago offers a good point, if it ain't working aim in another direction. Running a business is never a doddle and it's easier to moan about stuff, but if your not happy get out there and change something.

Bang on the money that

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

I can't not work everyday... some days I work less and some days I work more :) but as @imago said previously it's about presentation and targeting the right people... why skim a ceiling in a scabby house for £100 when you can skim the same sized ceiling in another house for £450....

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

I'm not getting involved in this price s**t. I grew up I a depressed area. Work was s**t. No one had money. So I moved away.
Live in a area full of middle class toddlers but the money's good.

I'm not getting involved in this price s**t. I grew up I a depressed area. Work was s**t. No one had money. So I moved away.
Live in a area full of middle class toddlers but the money's good.

Same as, inner city council estate in the '70s.

All you have to do to make your wish come true is marry her. :aburrido:
I got one at home she's an argumentative one but hers nothing like that more like my dogs ears
554309b1b2cdd5df955f51e01247503f.jpg

Yeah. Point is stop fukin moaning about. Grow a pair of balls n go where the work is.
This can also apply to the starving in Africa. Stop moaning that you're hungry and just move where the food is. Also, stop wasting seeds by planting them in the desert. It's f**k**g sand! Unless you know some good Marram grass recipes, plant your seeds near the river. f**k**g idiots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't you lot have a life?
This thread has been going a through Xmas and Boxing Day!!
Any of you lot must be a sad c**t Coming on here on Xmas day:nocausagracia:

Status
Not open for further replies.