woodchip

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.
To answer Jurek " why not skim over wallpaper" if you look at the surface of plasterboard under a microscope you'll see it is like a tea bag full of millions of little holes, these holes are for the microscopic jagged edges in the mixed gypsum plaster to bond to, ( that's why bonding is the only undercoat plaster that can be used on plasterboard as it contains the same jagged particles from its binder vermiculite, Browning, hard wall etc binder perlite contains rounded particles which don't grip so well, anyway I digress) wood chip wall paper doesn't contain these microscopic holes hence the plaster will not bond....hope this answers your question

To answer Jurek " why not skim over wallpaper" if you look at the surface of plasterboard under a microscope you'll see it is like a tea bag full of millions of little holes, these holes are for the microscopic jagged edges in the mixed gypsum plaster to bond to, ( that's why bonding is the only undercoat plaster that can be used on plasterboard as it contains the same jagged particles from its binder vermiculite, Browning, hard wall etc binder perlite contains rounded particles which don't grip so well, anyway I digress) wood chip wall paper doesn't contain these microscopic holes hence the plaster will not bond....hope this answers your question

But if you apply a bonding agent......?????

I haven't got a microscope so I can't:RpS_laugh:

But to put it to rest, I don't go about skimming any old wallpaper, I don't go to price a job and say "don't bother stripping the paper, mate, I'll skim over that". It's easy to conflate comments so that they appear to mean something other than what they actually state. I stated that I'd done a HS and L where the woodchip would not come off and that I skimmed over the and it worked fine. I believe I've said a few times in the thread that I wouldn't skim over other wallpaper, for obvious reasons.

The particle thing sounds great. But the PVA and the handful of multi allowed it to bond. But thanks for reasoning it out rather than just answering with a banal comment that serves no purpose other than to jump on the bandwagon.

YEEEEEEEEEHAHHHHH! RIDE EM COWBOY!

no i wouldnt do any of the things that you mentioned jurek bacuase dirty water will make the finish craze and lime is for for sand and cement not bonding and i dont know what stafs are but if they are wood dont plaster over them you should hang your head in shame

thanks olican how about TPA

jurek i know a good way to get woodchip to come off - plaster over it

Give me strength...:RpS_blink:

You don't know what staff beads are? Mop Roll? You don't know why lime in bonding? And you think you can give me advice..?

Cretin:RpS_mad:

Hi there i have always skimmed over wood chip , & had no real issues , what i normally do is use browning , but i use a special additive that you can get in the merchants !!!! A bag of vermiculite that the plumbers use for putting in the back of chimneys , simply tyip this into the browning when you mix up & that gives you youre jagged particles that our friend was on about , great sticky gear , not cheap though, cheers

Wow, bit of a tasty thread!

I'm surprised anyone wants to know with wallpaper. I always tell the customer it's an unskilled job, be much cheaper for you to strip it yourself. If I come back and the walls need extra work I charge for it.

Hi there i have always skimmed over wood chip , & had no real issues , what i normally do is use browning , but i use a special additive that you can get in the merchants !!!! A bag of vermiculite that the plumbers use for putting in the back of chimneys , simply tyip this into the browning when you mix up & that gives you youre jagged particles that our friend was on about , great sticky gear , not cheap though, cheers

:RpS_lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.