wood wool boards

Members online

Renderbender

HI all, i'm a plasterer 8 years time served. ive been self employed now for 2 years. recently ive been steering towards like work and traditional cornice. so far so good!. ive been offered a job going over wood wool board. the material has already been organised and i'm certain i can manage it correctly. the only query i have is that ive never worked over the wood wool boards. hopefully someone can inform me of the correct method for going over these boards.

thanks, sam.

Deafening silence from the forum for once. o_O Probably wondering how they nailed the sheep to the boards.
I see a number of different makes are on the market. TY-Mawr have a pic of someone putting lime plaster straight on it. I suggest you ask the manufacturer for guidance, then you can go back to them if its cobblers.

They all look pretty open pore, so no problems with key, but I'd imagine they dry quick and take a bit more plaster to the square metre.
I quite like the look of it for replacing laths.

Deafening silence from the forum for once. o_O Probably wondering how they nailed the sheep to the boards.
I see a number of different makes are on the market. TY-Mawr have a pic of someone putting lime plaster straight on it. I suggest you ask the manufacturer for guidance, then you can go back to them if its cobblers.

They all look pretty open pore, so no problems with key, but I'd imagine they dry quick and take a bit more plaster to the square metre.
I quite like the look of it for replacing laths.
thanks mate, at least someone replied lol.

We have plastered on wood wool boards on ceilings on a large hotel refurb.
We purchased a foreign lime from Mike Wye. on his advice.
Boards are fixed with plastic mushrooms.
Base coat with full Krend mesh .
Base coat scraped tight , then scratched. The same as EWI.
Leave at least 2 days to dry. the dryer the better. lay on finish coat and trowel up.

We have plastered on wood wool boards on ceilings on a large hotel refurb.
We purchased a foreign lime from Mike Wye. on his advice.
Boards are fixed with plastic mushrooms.
Base coat with full Krend mesh .
Base coat scraped tight , then scratched. The same as EWI.
Leave at least 2 days to dry. the dryer the better. lay on finish coat and trowel up.
that sounds manageable ! just to make sure i've got it correct. cover the boards that have been supplied and fitted with a level coat of supplied lime material bedded into the undercoat with fiberous mesh ? and then flatte and finish with a lime putty. what sort of m2 would you reccomend for 2 time serverd plasterers

that sounds manageable ! just to make sure i've got it correct. cover the boards that have been supplied and fitted with a level coat of supplied lime material bedded into the undercoat with fiberous mesh ? and then flatte and finish with a lime putty. what sort of m2 would you reccomend for 2 time serverd plasterers

The material that was supplied by Mike Wye was a base coat that had its own finish coat, not lime putty.
It is a 2 man job. we applied the base coat 1 metre wide then mesh the full length on the ceiling in one go.
push the mesh into the base coat then scratch. leave for a few days to dry as this will pull the finish coat in. if you apply the finish coat on a damp base coat it will not trowel up to the next morning.
The hotel that we plastered had high ceilings and we only had enough scaffolding for 1 ceiling at a time. so we would go on to other areas .I doubt if this type of work is piece work.
I would price this type of work at £300 per day per man, 8.30 to 3pm. if in London charge a lot more for the added agro. Very few plasterers will be interested in this type of work so you may be the only quote that they receive.

The hotel is a listed building. the base coat was Secil reabilita cal . with a Regency lime finish coat.