women in plastering

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gillian

Hello my daughter is seventeen and wants to become aplasterer. Please could you tell me what her chances are of getting an apprenticeship and will she be taken seriously in the plastering world on building sites so that she can progress in the future. Does she need to go to college and do qualifications or should she get an apprenticeship if they do them. Thanks. Gillian

There was a girl in my 'class when we was on day release, she loved it (wernt bothered about breaking a nail lol) You have to be quite thick skinned and get stuck in. The best way to learn is 'on site' experience with a day at college doing the nvq or maybe have an assesor come out to site. Maybe get her to enrol at college who might find her an employer.

Thanks for the information Worthy84. So she would go to college and straight away work on a building site as well? How long would she do that for? Does she need to be eighteen first. Gillian

Hello my daughter is seventeen and wants to become aplasterer. Please could you tell me what her chances are of getting an apprenticeship and will she be taken seriously in the plastering world on building sites so that she can progress in the future. Does she need to go to college and do qualifications or should she get an apprenticeship if they do them. Thanks. Gillian

Hi Gillian

Danny - this site owner - also runs a site called Plasterers News.... Have a read of this article and show your daughter

http://www.plasterersnews.com/a-lady-plasterer-tells-us-what-its-really-like/

There are quiet a few lady plasterers / renderers about - Jess is a member on here, as is Pink Plasterers (search for Pink Plasterers on line, she has a Facebook page)

Don't be afraid of letting your daughter chase her dreams.... have a look at some local colleges for plastering courses and go and see them - lots of these courses get local firms ask about the trainees and lead to opps

Good Luck!

Richard Lord
Knauf

Welcome to the forum by the way....

I am sure you will get some good honest advise - there are also several plasterers lecturers on here... @Danny will find some contacts I am sure

where are you based, someone may be able to advise some local colleges for you to consider

Last edited by a moderator:
Why does she want to be a plasterer? Any1 in the family one? If shes prepared to do a job thats tough on the body + stressful on the mind + prepared for the obvious banter from a male dominated trade then good luck to her. She'd be best teyin get some sort of apprenticeship learnin onsite aswell as at college, best of both worlds! Best of luck.

she should try and get taken on by a firm and do day release at college. she stands as much chance as anyone else. maybe slighty better if theres some positive discrimination thing going on. shell need a thick skin. not like that woman in silence of the lambs but not taking offence to easily. i sometimes wonder how women cope with their breasts in plastering and i dont mean that in a sly way. there is a lot of beding down and stretching etc. do they need to wear training or sports bras to make things easier?

I suppose anyone can learn the job male or female it is tough though but there probably would be a good market for a female plasterer best of luck :RpS_thumbup:

Yes let her chase her dream. Have to agree one one,point though plastering can be brutal on the body....especially as you get older

Prepare her to be ready for alot of sexist jokes etc. It's all fun and games (in general) but you need thick skin in this job

Prepare her to be ready for alot of sexist jokes etc. It's all fun and games (in general) but you need thick skin in this job[/

spreads have foreskins:RpS_cool: it's all very" right on "women being spreads .but it's just not practical

Last edited:
she should try and get taken on by a firm and do day release at college. she stands as much chance as anyone else. maybe slighty better if theres some positive discrimination thing going on. shell need a thick skin. not like that woman in silence of the lambs but not taking offence to easily. i sometimes wonder how women cope with their breasts in plastering and i dont mean that in a sly way. there is a lot of beding down and stretching etc. do they need to wear training or sports bras to make things easier?

No wonder ur called durex

I think I'd try and get her to work domestically. It's a rare breed of person let alone female that finds it pleasant on site at 17 yrs old

Interesting.my opinion is it's not a trade most women can do.i don't think thats being sexist.as said it very hard on the body.
Maybe painting would be better.i know of a few female painters in the area

I think give it a go I'd be tempted to say more for the domestic side of things I've seen a few female trades people advertised for various different things. Plenty young enough to so something else if they don't get on with it so not a huge amount to lose from trying.

I've trained a few up in my time and I do a fair bit of work with a female plasterer, The Lady Plasterer if your on facebook, her attention to detail is superb and nothing to stop any females getting in to the trade if that's what rocks her boat.

nothing to stop her doing it, as said though few things

Banter - lots of banter, jokes and piss taking goes on take it on the chin and send some back the other way
Physical - the jobs demanding, doing several trips carrying a 25kg bags isn't exactly easy and not being sexist but most 17year old girls will struggle with that, but will get use to it over time.

all the best. Location might help, local spread might be able to give her a couple of days watching / labouring as a test to see if its what shes up for before diving into college.

Worked with a lady spread before. She was pretty good and loved how physical it was. She was abit of a fitness freak though... i think that may help. But as said... the job is tough, abit dirty and stressful. 17 year old girls may struggle. Good luck to her though

I think its great her wanting to give it a go, I think there is quite a market for female plasterers, I dont know any personally but know a few lady painter and decorators.go for it:RpS_thumbsup:

It's got pro's and cons.
Some won't employ her as she is a girl.
And some will purposely employ her for being a girl.
Mainly the domestic market that was aimed at. Id say go for it. Expect some tears though. The joy of self employed if she ever goes that route is working to deadlines. Like a sad **** I'm on about 7 weeks without a day off and sat on site as I type having a quick coffee break whilst trying to complete this job.
Swings and round abouts my dear. Swings and round abouts

Wouldn't have it any other way though.

If you told a co-worker to **** off or had some harsh banter with them it just get reflected back. Imagine that in an office. Jess you'd be with hr getting a caution or some bolloxs.

I have worked with two female spreads on different sites and they put a few of the lads to shame , fair play to her if she wants to give it a go if she doesn't like it she can always do something else , and as for the breasts comment jurek I've seen male spreads with big breasts who do ok and as far as I know don't wear a sports bra! Also they didn't give it the I can put 15 bags a mix on b*ll***s nice n steady bag and half sets they did and they were still doin houses in the same time as Johnny big nuts

It's really all the same just a different name

The domestic market would suit her I reckon - I expect a lady customer who wants some work doing will be more inclined to have a female do it when available. Might be sexist towards men but it works for G** plasterers and the pink pound (as I'm sure some on here will attest to :rolleyes))

Hi Gillian

If you would like some information, then please give us a call and we can get some details from yourself also and see if we have any employers near you who may be looking for an apprentice.

Kind Regards

Interesting.my opinion is it's not a trade most women can do.i don't think thats being sexist.as said it very hard on the body.
Maybe painting would be better.i know of a few female painters in the area

That's crap. She should give it a go and see. It's not for everyone as you say due to the physical hardness of it but we all seem to have the same aches and pains. I wouldn't tell someone they prob can't do it and try decorating! Pah! :RpS_lol:

Hi Gillian, your daughter should definitely give it a go. It's a tough job but satisfying for the results and being self employed is a great way to be in many respects. I have never had a problem being taken seriously. People tend to be surprised but not negative. Other builders I meet along the way always have a lovely attitude towards me. I seem to tick over fine too and I think in part this is due to being female as it's a niche. Where are you based?

Status
Not open for further replies.