Wickes Bristol and BG Multi Finish

Members online

roryston

Had a nightmare Saturday.

Had a nice room to skim out for a good customer of mine.

Done the ceiling no worries with a couple of bags I had left over from another job, pva'd all the walls apart from a boarded chimley breast and went to a local wickes (longwell green Bristol) ro get some more gear.

Mixed it up and began laying it on done the 3 sides of the chimney breast (on plaster board 5 days old) and the window wall old lime plaster, gone over it a million times i know what I'm doing.

Within 15 minutes the skim was boiling hot and stunk. Great.

Checked dates and they were fine so panicking I flattened it in and left it for a hour.

Re pvaed the lot and mixed up a fresh banker with bag number 2.

10 mins later its gone again!!!

Now there's nothing wrong with my pva, clean water and tools, house is cool no heating.

So skim its got to be.

Embarrassed by the work I done I called the customer in and said matt this isn't any good explained to him that this isn't a case of a bad worker blaming his tools something seriously isn't right.

He laughed and said no worries sort it pit when you can.

Today I got some multi from kellaway Bristol and had been like buttering bread no worries what so ever.

I rang wickes customer services and apparently theres been a few calls about this but there blaming BG.

who ever it is making things hard for us plasterers facking sort it out!!!!

Wicks plaster on board

WP_20160418_12_55_27_Pro.jpg

Wickes plaster on old lime

WP_20160418_12_55_11_Pro.jpg

Kellaway plaster on top of wickes plaster and 2 coats of pva.

WP_20160418_13_10_52_Pro.jpg

Get the batch numbers off the bags and get into BG directly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As above write down the batch number or better still the empty bags.

How many coats of pva and was pva Wickes brand?

Defiantly used cold water from tap ? Not saying you are stupid , sometimes got water from cold tap and it was really the hot tap.

@theplasterman

Unibond pva 3 coats to avoid anything like this happening in the first place (no pva on the board it was fresh a few days before so no need)

Nice cold water outside tap, skim bucket and drill are always kept immaculate

@theplasterman

Unibond pva 3 coats to avoid anything like this happening in the first place (no pva on the board it was fresh a few days before so no need)

Nice cold water outside tap, skim bucket and drill are always kept immaculate
Fair enough...did it dry rapid on the boards and on the old wall or just the old wall?

Wickes take bags back, maybe a customer had them in damp conditions. Sorry to hear you had a nightmare mate, I had one the other week customer supplied plaster and it was gone off in 5 mins.

I'm using Wickes skim tmw, picked it up in Ashton though, over blue grit I'll let you know how I get on.

Wicks are making their own plaster?. Its still BG mf?.

Im not saying its the case here, but different backgrounds come into play, and its not all down to an iffy bag of multi.

Wickes take bags back, maybe a customer had them in damp conditions. Sorry to hear you had a nightmare mate, I had one the other week customer supplied plaster and it was gone off in 5 mins.

I'm using Wickes skim tmw, picked it up in Ashton though, over blue grit I'll let you know how I get on.
I really do not understand why you guys let the customer buy your materials???
Get a decent supplier and get your own gear for the job
You know where it comes from then!!!

Wicks are making their own plaster?. Its still BG mf?.

Im not saying its the case here, but different backgrounds come into play, and its not all down to an iffy bag of multi.

No wickes sold me the bg multi

As said mate Id take it on the chin if it didn't go the same on the fresh plaster board

No wickes sold me the bg multi

As said mate Id take it on the chin if it didn't go the same on the fresh plaster board

Was being a bit sarky mate. Its that time of the month. I mean what diff does it make where you buy your multi unless dodgy bags are deliberately being sent to wickes. Like bobby was saying dont buy from a diy store?.

I don't this customer was being tight as f**k on price, I brought the materials, he said he had been to the builders merchants in the morning to buy mats, and supplied scrim tape etc, next thing I know 2 bags of multi on the back of the van, didn't check the date as he told me he had just been to the merchants. We laid bag on and it was gone in 10 mins bone dry, we just had time to get the lines out, had to re bead, scrim and pva, by the time we had f**ked around only got a set on that day, told him he would have to pay an extra day to finish. So couple of bags of multi that were a year and a half out of date ended up costing him £195.

Rob you seem like one of these perfect spreads, know it all types, right? Have you really got it all wrapped up?

I always bought my own materials but always bought them from the high street sheds or got a pallet delivered to my unit... there tended to be a higher turn around in MK from the likes of wickes and so I knew most of the time the gear was good.. I also was very picky with the bags I chose...

The likes of Jewson or travis were not interested in doing deals on just plaster alone and the sheds were just round the corner where as the builders merchants were miles away.... call me a chancer for user them but its all the same gear I couldnt care less where I bought it from....

Get the batch numbers and send them off to BG they also may need a sample as well...

I reckon the gear jewson gets and wickes buys is different
I don't know how going into a builders merchants and getting skim on credit on account is so hard?

At good merchants the pallets still have the plastic wrapped around the skim till it's needed then they open it..Wickes and b n q unwrap the plastic from the pallets and put them inside on sale but I recon they rip off the plastic on delivery and they are stored and moved all over the place behind the stores where we can't see.Maybe open to the elements this time of year and probably have all sorts dumped on top and around them that's why the bags are always battered up when they are on the for sale isle.

Always bought my gear from b and q never had a problem they turn over I would say quicker than any BY and They have plenty of storage inside just look up when your there.

Always bought my gear from b and q never had a problem they turn over I would say quicker than any BY and They have plenty of storage inside just look up when your there.
Thought he got them from Wickes?

Not b n q
Plonker

We talking conspiracy theory now. Wickes get inferior bags of mf, jewsons get the good stuff lol. Just kidding bobby.

We might never know. If you ever see a delivery of multi coming into jewsons ask the drive does he do same stuff at wickes lol.

call me a chancer for user them but its all the same gear I couldnt care less where I bought it from....

I've never heard anyone call you a chancer because of where you buy your materials. :whistle:

It's a builders yard you dope
They must not of had good training then ..i go sig and Ccf and all the staff have a surprising amount of knowledge of products they sell so are obviously given good training ..sig the same Howarths I never heard of before tbh..around Nottingham we are spoilt with good merchants..maybe it's a Grimsby thing