why do we start on the right?

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.
I always skim left to right,starting from the top if its a high wall or for a 2.4 m high wall I start at the bottom and do full straight up strokes overlapping 4 inches each time, I render /float right to left ,the reason for this is to catch any droppings with the hawk/handboard in your left hand, if you rendered from your left then the hawk cannot catch droppings.. I do agree that you can always spot a time served plaster by their approach firstly from how they take plaster from a spot board and then how they apply it..

i am right handed and yet i have always started left to right, to be honest never even occured to me start right to left,

So many time served spreads starting at the wrong side.........dunno what to say really. Beyond belief isn't it.

hello 1st post. left to right for me, both skim and render, im right handed. never questioned it.

Honestly 70% of the work I come across is sh1t. So 7/10 spreads are sh1t, and they are. Most of em don't have a fcking clue what they are doing, that includes loads on here.

It's a sad state of affairs really. There are hundreds of real good plasterers struggling to feed their kids, mostly because they have poor business skills, but thats besides the point.

The very fact that this thread has gotten this far on a so called plasterers forum is beyond funny.

Surely we all know why we start on a particular side for the thickness of stuff we are applying????

i was tought to rough right to left (right handed) for reasons already mentioned, you are squashing any excess gear into somthing that is already there thus not dropping it leaving less waste and being more efficiant both in materials and time. and starting at the top so not splattering anything you may drop onto the the fresh stuff that would be on the wall bellow you had you started the (wrong way round) at the bottom, nothing to do with lines cos after its troweled on you will rule it off with a straight edge to make it all flat (i hope). The right to left or left to right may not apply as much to modern backing plasters as they are much more stickey and workable but s&c and any olde style stuff this is still as relevant as the day the method was invented and is the way i do it whatever i am useing because it works for me

Honestly 70% of the work I come across is sh1t. So 7/10 spreads are sh1t, and they are. Most of em don't have a fcking clue what they are doing, that includes loads on here.

It's a sad state of affairs really. There are hundreds of real good plasterers struggling to feed their kids, mostly because they have poor business skills, but thats besides the point.

The very fact that this thread has gotten this far on a so called plasterers forum is beyond funny.

Surely we all know why we start on a particular side for the thickness of stuff we are applying????

Well said Danny! Exactly what I was thinking.

As Stevo said if ya right handed you "float" (yes that includes render for the numpties on here) right to left because your working into the last trowel full & not away from it, for finish you work the opposite direction because you are working away from last trowel therefore getting a thinner coat, nothing to do with heel or toe pressure of the trowel

I always skim left to right,starting from the top if its a high wall or for a 2.4 m high wall I start at the bottom and do full straight up strokes overlapping 4 inches each time, I render /float right to left ,the reason for this is to catch any droppings with the hawk/handboard in your left hand, if you rendered from your left then the hawk cannot catch droppings.. I do agree that you can always spot a time served plaster by their approach firstly from how they take plaster from a spot board and then how they apply it..
so your reson 4 rendering right to left is to catch the droppings.ffs av heard enough.

Wow..... a right handed plasterer skimming from right to left wtf :-0 :RpS_lol:
I would love to see that, at first i asumed u were left handed. That method in the nicest way possible is a joke. Have u not ever come across another right handed spread in the same room who said, why u starting there mate? H nice reply by the way and some good answears. School boy tips when we where being taught would have been where to start and why. Also no 1 has mentioned about a plasterers pop eye bicep muscle, when floating/roughing/rendering the material is also a lot heavier and harder to spread ect. When working from right to left ur muscle can apply more pressure than if working from left to right with a finishing plaster because off the way the muscle push/pulls and contracts like a elastic band.

how can not 1 person tell me the reason for doing 2 coat work.oppisite way 2 skimming.

Im sure Im answered this in this thread but it might of been years ago, or maybe it was this thread lol you skim away from yourself and you float into yourself have a look through this thread im sure i go into more detail.

4 full pages.... if jamie mac starts one side and flynny starts another. They both drop (or dont drop) the same amount. Both take the same amount of time and both leave the same standard of work
Whos right and whos wrong. More importantly who gives a ****? This subject, as with many things in plastering is personal preference. If something suits me im not going to change it just because someone on the internet told me to.

4 full pages.... if jamie mac starts one side and flynny starts another. They both drop (or dont drop) the same amount. Both take the same amount of time and both leave the same standard of work
Whos right and whos wrong. More importantly who gives a ****? This subject, as with many things in plastering is personal preference. If something suits me im not going to change it just because someone on the internet told me to.
Carry on doing it wrong :)

Right hand screed first, left screed next, top screed, then bottom. Fill it in and repeat on the wall to the left. Carry on until the room is completed :RpS_thumbup:

What if you use a right handed trowel in your left hand where would you start then? :rolleyes)

Yes ,but only if you have a left handed Hawk :RpS_thumbup: come on Jr you should have known that :RpS_wink:

i thought if you had a left handed hawk you started next door but one as long as its on the right side with a blue door

No it would have to be a left handed hawk in your right hand if you have a right handed trowel in your left hand!!

Status
Not open for further replies.