why do we start on the right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
right handers should naturally start from the left when setting because of the natuural sweep or arc of your arm ,unless your double jointed.left handers visa versa

**** all to do with clever or knowing better its the way, if you want to make up a load of bollox then when its questioned come out with this s**t carry on. I didnt make it up, if you was taught correctly you would know, dont shoot the messenger xxx

its so when you look down the wall.......lol, don't take you're anger issues our on Henry mate its not his fault you get abused on here 24 hours a day

I'm not going to say which way is right or wrong, but will say that even the good right handed spreads I've watched putting the floating coat on from left to right definitely drop more on the floor than those doing it the right way.
If you can't figure out the right way to skim then you're on the wrong forum.

Its got **** all to do with the heel or the toe of the trowel the reason you float the opposite way to skimming is your looking down the wall as your doing it. Your working into yourself instead of working away so you can see what your doing with the wall ie how straight or flat your getting it, also your not spreading the gear to nothing like you are with skimming, its obvious why you wouldnt skim that way coz you would constantly have trowel lines.

:RpS_lol: Doesn't your head turn both ways?

It's so you can build depth, the arc of the arm pushes the stuff off the heel of the trowel into the roughing thats hopefully still on the wall.

I'm not going to say which way is right or wrong, but will say that even the good right handed spreads I've watched putting the floating coat on from left to right definitely drop more on the floor than those doing it the right way.
If you can't figure out the right way to skim then you're on the wrong forum.

If this is for me Andy I said what I said because I'm a lefty

i can honestly say that i have never seen anyone put render on a wall right to left that is right handed. that is all

i can honestly say that i have never seen anyone put render on a wall right to left that is right handed. that is all

They used to say you could always tell if someone had been taught right or served his time by which way he started to float a wall.

They used to say you could always tell if someone had been taught right or served his time by which way he started to float a wall.
You can also tell alot by peoples replies hoe hard they try to convince others and maybe either lack any sort of experience working with other plasterers or just like sticking there nose in

Its got **** all to do with the heel or the toe of the trowel the reason you float the opposite way to skimming is your looking down the wall as your doing it. Your working into yourself instead of working away so you can see what your doing with the wall ie how straight or flat your getting it, also your not spreading the gear to nothing like you are with skimming, its obvious why you wouldnt skim that way coz you would constantly have trowel lines.

Guess everyones entitled to their opinion.....although the end result is the same Id say this reasoning sounds completely stupid mind you

Henry's got it right...well said and well written mate

by the book from years gone by, the right handed plasterer would do the browning or basecoat from right to left ...the finish coats would be run from left to right .

this has more to do with the toe and heal of the trowel than anything else...the toe of the trowel is always by nature the most worn in and will leave less trowel marks on the wall,

the edge of the trowel nearest the finger tips is the most worked side of the trowel,although both sides can and do wear evenly ....hence the modern day trapezoidal trowel for finishing plasters.

when browning or base coating,working from right to left (if your a right hander) is actually faster,because the end of every trowel stroke makes a pass on the previously laid on material,with excess material filling voids in the wall....right handers naturally arc to the right ...lefties to the left...makes sense right
tongue.gif

working right to left creates forward progression in application...imagine doing it in reverse and constantly stopping to drop back to tidy up your work.

Steve~~~ AKA ~~ The_Plasterers_Arms

Last edited:
what a load of crap why would i want 2 look down the wall i want the stuff on the wall.i put my strait egg on the blockwork before i plaster 2 see wit its like no time to look down the wall

always coated right to left am left handed.and no i dont drop much.done miles and miles of block work. as for speed 30 or 40 bags of hardwall a day.1st coat in the morning finish afternoon.

what a load of crap why would i want 2 look down the wall i want the stuff on the wall.i put my strait egg on the blockwork before i plaster 2 see wit its like no time to look down the wall

where can you buy those strait eggs from jamie??.................are the chickens strait too.....................:RpS_wink:

a lot of difference of opinion on this so i'm not getting involved except to say you are all wrong. you should start it the centre of the wall and work outwards in concentric circles useing only horizontal strokes of the trowel

Status
Not open for further replies.