Whos fault is it?

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.
Holy shoite that's tall, I feel like a dwarf now (barely 6'5" :RpS_unsure:)

out of curiosity........have you got a massive willy?

look a bit odd, a man of your height with a chipolata :RpS_crying:
I reckons hes gonna need at least a foot long to balance that giant height!:RpS_lol:

60% your fault I'd say.
Lack of communication and lack of respect from the sparks and the builder, BUT one quick call would have solved this.
Bite the bullet, go back and patch it (with the proviso that a patch is always a patch etc.).
He gives you other work so just bung an extra 20 on the next few jobs and - if he has you by the balls - get busy finding other work for yourself, then you're no longer obliged to him :RpS_thumbup:

The amount of times you get people that are "suprised" they can notice a patch is unbelievable. Experienced builders that think you can magic it away.

Its called a patch not a perfect blend for a reason!!

Turn it into a glory hole and wait for his wife to come home and stare up at the ceiling............surprise! ,:RpS_drool:

A builder who I do skimming for now and then had a double bedroom sized ceailing for me to skim, its a suspended one thats just been framed and boarded about a foot below the original.

Not a problem for me, charged him £100 and done it yesterday after work.

There was a loft door sized gap cut out on one side, obviously I treated it as being a loft acess so just skimmed into it.

Got a phone call this morning asking why there's a hole in the ceiling!! I thought it was a wind up but it was not.

Apparently the wankoor sparks cut it out to pull there cables through the old ceiling and never put the cut back in, no surprise there.

So all that has been sorted the board is back in and he wants me to patch it in, not a problem for me, dont really like patching but there we go.

I said chuck me £50 and ill pop up and patch it tomorrow evening.

Guess what answer I got? "you can patch it whenever but you ain't getting paid for it, you should of rang me when you seen the hole"

I told him take £100 out of the sparks money and we will have £50 each, fairs fair.

But no, this whole situation that isn't my fault is on my back, dont really want to fall out with him as he owes me money for the ceiling and does give me some good little jobs. I've tryed calling him back but he's not.answering to me atm.

Soo who's to blame?

he has paid the sparky handsomy already not your fualt in reality u shopuld have rang him theres never hardly a loft access in a bedroom but not your fault but if he is passing u lots work just do it and cuss him lol

Go up the new "loft hatch" and pull some new cables back and coil them up above the "loft hatch" board it skim it get paid !
But you'll not get anymore work off him but he sounds like a nob anyway

I don't think he is really looking after you giving you £100 to skim a bedroom ceiling your looking after him, yeh it's only 3 hours work if It's ready to go but on this occasion it's **** money.

personally I would have rang the builder first just to check with him...... best you can do is take the hit , put it down to experience, if anything ever remotely happens like this again you know now to check first,... if you get a lot of steady work off him just add a little bit on jobs over the next few weeks until you get your money back, don't let it eat away at you we have all been there at some point get it done move on.

So all that has been sorted the board is back in and he wants me to patch it in, not a problem for me, dont really like patching but there we go.

I said chuck me £50 and ill pop up and patch it tomorrow evening.

Guess what answer I got? "you can patch it whenever but you ain't getting paid for it, you should of rang me when you seen the hole"

isn't my fault is on my back,

Soo who's to blame?

if i was the customer paying for a new ceiling i would not accept a patched up job. it would be a complete reskim! if you and your builder friend wanted paying for this balls up!

If the board they cut out wasn't there I'd say they are part to blame. But lazy of the Sparks not sticking it back up.

Over the years I've found that if the board or some board is there it's easier to just put it back yourself because it will be done right, electricians and others never screw the screws right in

Thanks for all the input.

The board was put back up, I pre filled the board then pva'd the whole ceiling over then skimmed the lot again, didn't want agreements if the patch would of been visable after painting.

I would of been picking my nose for 2 - 3 hours while the patch pulled in anyway so made sense to.coat the lot back over.

I didn't want anyone thinking I'm a rough worker or anything so made sense to get it right.

Lesson learnt.

Thanks for all the input.

The board was put back up, I pre filled the board then pva'd the whole ceiling over then skimmed the lot again, didn't want agreements if the patch would of been visable after painting.

I would of been picking my nose for 2 - 3 hours while the patch pulled in anyway so made sense to.coat the lot back over.

I didn't want anyone thinking I'm a rough worker or anything so made sense to get it right.

Lesson learnt.
@Royston....you've done the right thing mate...and at the end of the day hopefully all involved will be bit more considerate next time round...

and most importantly your builder should think a lot more of you for taking the harder but more professional route...

you have to play the long game in this trade...

good for you buddy...nice one!:RpS_thumbup:

Last edited by a moderator:
@zombie

Cheers mate, made sense to get it done right, like I said he does gibe me some good "tax free" jobs, doesn't take the piss out of me so I don't want to it to him really.

I'll just put it down as a learning curve, one of those things, its done and finished and looks fine now so I haven't got the thought of somone thinking I'm rough, the worry of having to go back and skim it again or loosing a pretty good contact.

Live and learn!

Last edited by a moderator:
im sure if the sparks works on all the builders jobs there will be a chance in the future to get you own back.. revenge is a dish best served cold :RpS_sneaky:

Builder should have asked you to patch the hole, but you should also of had the common sense realise there was a f**king hole in the ceiling...you probably thought it's late, I'm tired it's after work can't be bothered to check or patch the hole because I'll be home later for dinner so cut the corner, now it's bite you in the ass and gonna cost you alot more to sort it out than it would if you had just patched it ar called the builder in the first place.

Lol

So 50/50 mate but you should take it on the chin for being lazy ;)

Freed do you remember the time you mixed up on someone's drive without a sheet down and spilt finish everywhere :) sure theres a picture on here somewhere

Freed do you remember the time you mixed up on someone's drive without a sheet down and spilt finish everywhere :) sure theres a picture on here somewhere

My mate could manage that....with the whole driveway covered. That's why I call him Splat.

Yea I do remember...lol the bag split, do you remember looking closely at the photo the drive was wet? when it's wet mate it's no problem just get the hose on it and happy days, trick of the trade mate.

Status
Not open for further replies.