Who amongst us would want their Son to be a Plasterer?

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

johniosaif

Private Member
I often here people say"I would not wish this job on an enemy" Plastering is hard graft yes but it is honest graft and if your kids were not IT genius types or very academic .Would you recommend plastering to them?

My son has followed me into the trade despite being academic. He was never encouraged to do so in his formative years it's just how things have worked out. All I want for my son is to be happy and plastering has certainly helped make me happy, along with other things obviously so hopefully it will help him to.

like f**k i would problem ive got is my eldest girl 5 keeps changing her mind between being a plasterer and a dentist haha

Just tell your boy the world owes him nothing, if he wants nice things and lots of money he needs to get himself out there and work his b*ll***s off. Whatever trade or job he does.

it wouldnt bother me if my son wanted too, in fact hes working with me atm ,hes22 but hates doing it,he got a degree but cant find a job anywhere not even working for nothing, i left school with nothing never been given anything but plastering has given me and my family a great living ,weve tavelled the world etc, so yea i wouldnt mind him doing it, better than doing some dead end office job,ive done the grafting but my work is not like that anymore more quality than quantity ,so hopefully he could follow on and not have to knock his pipe out.

Last edited:
Plastering has done me good in last 25 years and still does, would love my son to get in the trade but as only 5 time will tell all I can say is its up to him but always found its a good job to earn good money if your prepared to work hard

my lad has learned how to handle a hawk & trowel when he was 8 years old i bought him a decorators hawk & and a little trowel from refina ,and he used to help -dad on a weekends when he was young, then when he left school he came with me on the swimming pools labouring and laying on rubbing-up/screeding and tiling ,and pretty much can do my work, then now he joined the Navy as a chef, he has just come home today after finishing his training,when he go's back after christmas he will be joining a ship ,then 6 month's of travailing to the USA, middle east, China , i said to him go and see the world first learn a trade then see whats happening when you want to leave , if you want to leave ,if the recession is still crap stay -on whatever he is only 19 the world is his oyster !!lol

I often here people say"I would not wish this job on an enemy" Plastering is hard graft yes but it is honest graft and if your kids were not IT genius types or very academic .Would you recommend plastering to them?
I would wish all of my sons were plasterers before they did anything else, it has enriched my life incredibly and I'm extremely proud of what I do, I was always a bright kid but never academic, I was good with my hands and thinking on my feet..... Probs why the majority of plasterers are handy in a scrap lol, although I would want them to always follow their heart and be happy, it would make my life complete for them to follow in my footsteps and with my love and support be better and more knowledgable than I could ever be "BLEADING KNUCKLES AND A POCKET FULL OF CASH" The Siddall family motto.

Plastering has done me good in last 25 years and still does, would love my son to get in the trade but as only 5 time will tell all I can say is its up to him but always found its a good job to earn good money if your prepared to work hard

you started on the kid sketch a bit late mate didnt you

id rather my little girl go do something were she'll earn loads of money and her bones and joints wont be fncked at near 40 but id love her to be working with me while shes studying for something

Would never bring my son into this! 32 years ago when I started,Yes I would but not thesedays.

I would teach him the trade if he wanted to learn but I wouldn't be disappointed if he wanted to do something else.
As long as he was happy, that's the main thing, eh?

Andy it's a dying trade fair play if you teach him the best of you're knowledge and keep him a step ahead it's the only way to make money

It's a rapidly changing trade, where tomorrows "Wall Technicians" will never really have to bust a gut. The hard labour is being taken out of the game, which can only be a good thing too :RpS_thumbup:

My eldest is 10 and will be coming with me to my brother's in a few days to help with their Christmas present...their bathroom reskim.
He keeps saying he wants to be a plasterer, although now he wants to be a welder as well cause that's what I've been pushed into for a job.
I always used to say "i use a trowel so you don't need to"but since redundancy i have changed my mind. There isn't a great deal of work here and its minimum wage crap anyway so why not help him get a step in front? If he can grab the basics in a couple of years he could be a decent spread by the time he leaves school.
Even if it doesn't lead to a job full time its always a string to his bow.

Last edited:
Nowt wrong in having a trade under your belt. My eldest (who I don't see now as he lives away wit his mother) has dyspraxia so I doubt he'd be any good but he's a whiz on computer graphics etc. so good luck to him there.
My youngest is 3 but if he wants to learn the trade I'd certainly help him when he's old enough. Never know it might be profitable when he's ready lol

Always handy to have a trade. Can plaster his own house saving the thousands us robbing bastads(according to some customers) would charge

Andy it's a dying trade fair play if you teach him the best of you're knowledge and keep him a step ahead it's the only way to make money

I don't agree it's a dying trade Dave, changing yes but not dying. I'm going to try and teach him the old ways and hopefully we'll learn the newer stuff together, such as machines and thin coat/insulated renders. I'm also really tempted to buy a machine so that we can do the flowing screeds. Ultimately he/we'd like to get more into properties that just spreading.
Like I said as long as he's happy I'll be happy, even if that means he decides to ditch the trade and go back into the city or something.

well all my sons are plasterers, they have all left school in the last recession not this one, the youngest is 40.
plastering was the only thing that i could teach them. they all earn a good living ,but i had hoped that they would have aimed their sights higher. they have all worked hard for every thing that they own

My youngest has gone into apprenticship last september hes enjoying it which is half the battle. Plus a nice 1500 grant for me for christmas lol. Theres 8 first years in his class including him and they all do skimming theres only my lad done any floating and external works .

I didn,t want my son coming into the trade because of not only graft but it is seasonal and dog eat dog. Anyway he decided after a day with me at 13 that it is not for him. Too hard, dirty and seen me come home to many times in a foul mood. He became a DJ abroad and came home at 25 to become an employee at Virgin Media and enjoys his job. He is not a physical person but rather a sit at a desk and keep your hands clean person. I am the opposite.

On the other hand I know of Father & Son teams, some argue all the time and others rely on one another. The chances are that you are not going to stab each other in the back but rather support each other which is not what you would get working with a 'mate'. When you get older you perhaps could do with the Son giving you a helping hand.

As someone said this job is changing all the time, it is becoming more technical but probably for some too technical. If I could turn back the clock I would probably not go into such a physical job but something more reliable. The wet trades are too seasonal. I wanted to be a plumber when I left school but was only offered a plastering job which i took because at the time plasterers where in demand and being paid £90 a week when the basic was £29 a week. The ££££ made me take the job! That was 1972 and then the building boom crashed in 73.

Drat, Drat and double drat!

Aye my sons all ended up in the trade , eldest 30 middle 27 youngest 23 all of em can do most jobs associated with the trade screeding, tiling etc , and are all very competent with the various rendering systems, they make good money although they say they don't , youngest winges a lot but like we keep tellin him when things pick up he will rake it in and be able to pick and choose his jobs

Alot of good opinions, Personaly id love to teach my son how to be a pro plasterer defo! but only if thats what made him happy. Id be able to teach him the value of money and respect ect Id glady hand my buissness on a plate to him if he worked hard became succesfull and had pride in is work. I had to do it all myself from scratch and if i could make his journey alittle easiar than mine for him to make it then yea i would show him everything i know.
ps... And if he didnt turn in or had premier league syndrone i could make him mix with a podger, ground him, take his playstation pads and tell his mam not to make his sandwiches

Youngest whent on the piss weds nite n never came home (dirty barsteward) so I made him have Friday off as well as punishment for letting me down, he was gutted as we only did half a day and the lads still got paid a full day

Youngest whent on the piss weds nite n never came home (dirty barsteward) so I made him have Friday off as well as punishment for letting me down, he was gutted as we only did half a day and the lads still got paid a full day

Good lad......him not you, ya miserable git.

Mabye he was havin his own Xmas night out, do you not take them out for crimbo warrior?:rolleyes)

Mabye he was havin his own Xmas night out, do you not take them out for crimbo warrior?:rolleyes)

bah_humbug-e1269152112652.gif

They get more than enough out of me , cheeky fwckers!

Im sure my dad would say the same!

To add another side to this discussion, as you may have gathered I work with my old man.

At first i hated it, was there only to get money for the weekend, went out on the piss, hung over at work, and thought "bollox to this ****, im going to be rich some other way!"

However as i have got older I soon relised that that was not going to happen and saw the oppertunity I had in front of me to learn a trade of someone who was and is very good at it. He is not a computer whiz so has never come on this forum and many will not have meet or heard of him.

I still learn something in some little way from him ever day and would not change anything in the way i have progressed in life. I like the fact that we bounce ideas of each other and get to spend most days in each others company.

He is almost 60 soon and I will be very sad when the day comes that we no long work and see each other almost every day comes.

Do i wish my kids did this in the future?

No

Its very hard work for the amount we get paid. Im not saying its a bad living but we all know their are better things to be doing to pay the bills!

From my point of a view its all about keeping them studying at school from 16-20 when the temptation of beer and girls seem to steer you in the wrong the direction.

I did that had a great time and meet my wife so even if they did i couldn't go to mental at him!

Merry Christmas Every One :)

Last edited:
you made him have mad friday off and you thought he was gutted :RpS_lol: i bet he was p!ssing him self down the pub with his mates

Im lucky enough to have 3 sons oldest being 8 years old , i will do whatever is within my power to make sure they never come into this trade

Status
Not open for further replies.