When to s*p*r*lex

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

PLASDUA

Morning guys.

I'm thinking of getting s*p*r*lex but people always talk about it being hard to work the timings. At what stage should you use it? A step by step would be appreciated

Cheers,
Sonny

Morning guys.

I'm thinking of getting s*p*r*lex but people always talk about it being hard to work the timings. At what stage should you use it? A step by step would be appreciated

Cheers,
Sonny
I scratch on with normal trowel lay In with normal trowel then give my first flatten with normal trowel then after that all the way with the nela this works for me

Same as madmonk but with the Refina super flex they are a thing of beauty ( as far as trowels go )

Is it right John teaching all these lads starting of to use 10 different tools to do the job ?,I just don't get it
No,it's not right, but we will be mocked as dinosaurs for saying it, people are seeking magic solutions to plastering and there isn't any for hand applied and finished applications, the s*p*r*lex is handy in the right hands ,is it quicker,I don't believe so, does it save the bones ,I believe so, is quality the same,I don't believe so.

No,it's not right, but we will be mocked as dinosaurs for saying it, people are seeking magic solutions to plastering and there isn't any for hand applied and finished applications, the s*p*r*lex is handy in the right hands ,is it quicker,I don't believe so, does it save the bones ,I believe so, is quality the same,I don't believe so.
You are one of the few that are honest John

I scratch on with normal trowel lay In with normal trowel then give my first flatten with normal trowel then after that all the way with the nela this works for me
How many wet trowels does it need (if any) and do you let it go off more than usual before trowelling?

So at my age (23) I should just stick to my mt or nela premium, takes same amount of time and get a better finish?

Sorry john dont agree I will leave a finish like it grew there with a s*p*r*lex. my old man retired at the end of last year gutted that these types of trowel weren't available 45years ago.
To say these trowels leave a finish inferior to any other trowel type is nonsense.
A trowel on its own has never left a bad job.

Apart from ,lol , I have been using a MT longer then you have been a live ,and have not yet been taken on by all this marketing

Out of interest john, what did you use to finish that hallway you put a link to pics up the other day?

Sorry john dont agree I will leave a finish like it grew there with a s*p*r*lex. my old man retired at the end of last year gutted that these types of trowel weren't available 45years ago.
To say these trowels leave a finish inferior to any other trowel type is nonsense.

Your work does look bob on from the picture I've seen mate, no idea how you do it with s*p*r*lex. My finish is only bob on with mt.

You can argue the pros and cons ,I think the pros are definitely easier on the body,the cons is some spreads will leave a lesser quality finish, the trowel glides over rather than diminishes bumps or imperfections,

I was gonna ask what super flex or flex trowel would most go for as the masses aren't normally wrong but reading all these I don't think there would an answer! Do u guys think the speed skim is worth it while I'm at it? [emoji28]

Lots of spreads are second coating with the superflexes if not first coating ,I have watched many very experienced plasterers over the years and often prayed that they wouldn't pick up my trowel, I can see these guys killing a s*p*r*lex in a forth night.

You can argue the pros and cons ,I think the pros are definitely easier on the body,the cons is some spreads will leave a lesser quality finish, the trowel glides over rather than diminishes bumps or imperfections,
But if any one says that John ,it because they are using it wrong !

But if any one says that John ,it because they are using it wrong !
The recession has led to a drop in quality,the guys on £1.50 to £2.50 a m cut so many corners and got away with it that there is no way back, from one coating sponging etc, would of been ridiculed once but now there out and proud.

Having spent over 25years on mainly site work, I can say categorically that it is never the trowel but the man holding it.
iv seen appalling work done with most trowels available tyzack's mt's Diston's and s*p*r*lex's but in turn seen all these in the hands of competent plasterers turn out absolutely mint work aswell.

Yes and I know their limitations and when to use them and when to pick up a normal trowel and brush.

Well yes, if you cant get a perfect finish with a tool when others can, surely the person that can't achieve a perfect finish is using it wrong? Or is the trowel at fault?

But that's like me saying because I can get a bob on finish one coating with the sponge that means am not rough and everyone else is pants because they can't do it?

Some people won't like one, some will. But to say it's the trowels fault that someone doesn't leave a good finish is an interesting thing to say.

The NELA s*p*r*lex is purely designed as a finishing trowel. As for following / riding over imperfections or bumps, surely this should have been eliminated previous to finishing?
Mm, when we skim ,we bang on 40/50 m a time,there can be bits missed not nescessarily by myself but as a team.the marshalltown trowel and a water brush flattens and fills any small imperfections ,the s*p*r*lex does not and will not, if you put a tiny dot of plaster on a wall the s*p*r*lex will ride over it and leave it like squashed chewing gum On a pavement ,of course we can all write perfection but the reality, bullshit is as big a part of the game as skill ..

Status
Not open for further replies.