whats the best plastering tip/advice youve been giving

• Thread starter Deleted member 29624
  • Start date

Members online

i got six chorizo burgers today as a tip. first time thats happened. was working for the same bloke a few weeks back and he gave 3 packs of ashfield pork sausages. i gave them to my mate pete.

Talking of tips. I havent drank for 15 years but thats another story and my lad is doing a full year not drinking aftrr making a c@#t out of himself on new years eve. We have been given bottles of wine and about 4 crates of ale so far this year. Hes livid ad we havent ad owt like that in ages and now hes on the wagon hes gutted. My youngest whose a student is literally lapping it up though

Talking of tips. I havent drank for 15 years but thats another story and my lad is doing a full year not drinking aftrr making a c@#t out of himself on new years eve. We have been given bottles of wine and about 4 crates of ale so far this year. Hes livid ad we havent ad owt like that in ages and now hes on the wagon hes gutted. My youngest whose a student is literally lapping it up though

go on what did he do on NYE that bad he has gone on the wagon?

He got absolutely legless again at a friends party and have one of the lads new bird a bit of grief which was apparently deserved. On the way home his neighbours were out who are bunch of late teens early twenties scroats. Hes had trouble with them a few times and ended up arguing and gave one a good hiding. My lads mrs was devastated seeing him do this. She has seen him drunk many of time and ruin nights out. He got the ultimatum drinking or me and the kids. It devastated her seeing him do this. I his defence hes an ex squaddie served i iraq and Afghanistan i know hes seen some bad stuff a d lost mates but i have never asked about it but he knows if he wants to talk im here for him. I think hes got ptsd but he want have any of it or see anyone. Anyway he hasnt drank since the 1st jan and he is a total different lad hes enjoying life a whole lot more nowadays. still think he needs some help though

He got absolutely legless again at a friends party and have one of the lads new bird a bit of grief which was apparently deserved. On the way home his neighbours were out who are bunch of late teens early twenties scroats. Hes had trouble with them a few times and ended up arguing and gave one a good hiding. My lads mrs was devastated seeing him do this. She has seen him drunk many of time and ruin nights out. He got the ultimatum drinking or me and the kids. It devastated her seeing him do this. I his defence hes an ex squaddie served i iraq and Afghanistan i know hes seen some bad stuff a d lost mates but i have never asked about it but he knows if he wants to talk im here for him. I think hes got ptsd but he want have any of it or see anyone. Anyway he hasnt drank since the 1st jan and he is a total different lad hes enjoying life a whole lot more nowadays. still think he needs some help though

Ah good glad he is doing good especially ex forces as well...

I cane off the drink for a long time due to crappy health but my wife was the big drinker but thats all changed now :D

Watched a video of that Kirk the plasterer in the US.He was showing how to sort out a trowel that was bent the wrong way,so I decided to see how good his tip was.Took out an old trowel that was gone badly the wrong way and followed his way of sorting it.Have to say it's some job.I don't know how to put the video here but should'nt be hard to find.

100% used to go through loads of bulbs, now they last sooo much longer

I used to use halogens without the glass till I had one explode when it got some plaster on the bulb. Then I also heard about how the glass is supposed to help filter out some of the UV light from the bulb. Dunno how true that is but glass pipe bombs/uv damage to eyes was enough to make me get new lights. Not worth it.

Best way to save bulb life if you're bringing the light in from the cold is to let it warm up a bit before turning it on. Burned out many a bulb bring it inside from a cold truck and pluggin it right in.

I used to use halogens without the glass till I had one explode when it got some plaster on the bulb. Then I also heard about how the glass is supposed to help filter out some of the UV light from the bulb. Dunno how true that is but glass pipe bombs/uv damage to eyes was enough to make me get new lights. Not worth it.

Best way to save bulb life if you're bringing the light in from the cold is to let it warm up a bit before turning it on. Burned out many a bulb bring it inside from a cold truck and pluggin it right in.

They do go bang when they go... better heaters than they are lights

I used to heat my steak n kidney pies on the halogen light glass site smelt like greggs but certainly heated them up

You guys bring a much better lunch than me. I usually just pack a couple samwiches and call it good. There's a spanish paint crew around here that bring electric skillets and cook up quite a spread every day. One guy starts cooking around 10:00 for the crew of about 6 and the whole place smells like fejitas.
:asadito:

Another useful tip I was taught:
To eleminate the long strings that come off the ends of the mesh tape. (I believe you guys call it scrim tape or something like that) Make some cuts across both sides to score that end string and then when it starts to unravel it will only ever be about 6" long and come off easy.

You guys bring a much better lunch than me. I usually just pack a couple samwiches and call it good. There's a spanish paint crew around here that bring electric skillets and cook up quite a spread every day. One guy starts cooking around 10:00 for the crew of about 6 and the whole place smells like fejitas.
:asadito:

Another useful tip I was taught:
To eleminate the long strings that come off the ends of the mesh tape. (I believe you guys call it scrim tape or something like that) Make some cuts across both sides to score that end string and then when it starts to unravel it will only ever be about 6" long and come off easy.

I know a lot of trades that cook quite healthy now :D making soups and slow cook food etc :D

Times are changing :D

One tip I got of another plasterer was to use the Skrim on big areas . Gives you a nice line to easily tie your next gage in to rather then feathering

One tip I got of another plasterer was to use the Skrim on big areas . Gives you a nice line to easily tie your next gage in to rather then feathering

I was shown another way.....

lay your first coat in then when you second coat it stop short of the first coat.... so when you feather it in there wont be a straight line...

I was shown another way.....

lay your first coat in then when you second coat it stop short of the first coat.... so when you feather it in there wont be a straight line...
When you take scrim of I stop just a few mill from line it gives you n fill will fat . If it's on board or nice and flat it works a treat .so sanding or filling

Under promise and over deliver (domestics)

Learn how to do a rolling gauge properly.

On ceilings in old houses always work ACROSS the joists. That way no matter how much they run out, your work will always be smooth and LOOK flat. (makes your life soo much easier)
Boards should always go across the joist and not with them . The age of the house is irrelevant.

Boards should always go across the joist and not with them . The age of the house is irrelevant.
Ha the boards go which ever way they sit best lol I follow some joiners and end up changing ways half way across a ceiling lol

One for the spongers, being a tiler too I use different sort of sponge floats all the time so why not use the wash boy to clean these sponges too
20170822_104524.jpg

One coat everything, sometime twice!
In a hurry, sponge the first coat after tickling it with a trowel, second coat nice and neat........home for tea and medals..(y)

It's not what u can get away with it's what you can live with. Get maximum profit never undersell yourself. Pay attention to detail. Best advice I had that was don't be a plasterer so best I got is I can plaster but I ain't a plasterer.