whats the best plastering tip/advice youve been giving

• Thread starter Deleted member 29624
  • Start date

Members online

best tips in order

1 one coat your ceiling slightly thicker than normal, then speedskim it, and no need to second coat or lay in if your good enough. straight on to trowelling up with a flexi 2 times max

2 use a flexi trowel and water will be old school, all you need to trowel up is a sach brush to wet your trowel

3 buy one of those dead men for boarding ceilings @£23 screwfix

4 forget about 8x4 ceiling boards and use 6x3 much,much easier

5 if you want to impress with a perfect job, 1st coat your ceiling as normal with steel, then use plastic to lay in, will need only 1 handboard full of gear to cover@7m, this will give the perfect base before trowelling up twice with a flexi and when finished using this method, it will be very hard to see a better job done anywhere

6 always carry 3 inches or so of sludge from cleaning skimming buckets out, add 3 inches of water, and keep this bucket at all times in the van, and you can time your bonding/skimming, to go off within 5/10 minutes if needed, this is ideal when patching,

7 always carry 2x1 wood for patching larger holes in plasterboard's or ceilings saves cutting back to joists just drill drywall screws to timber straight over hole and board,
using this method with number 5 it is possible to patch lets say a 12 inch hole, board it, float it, skim it, perfect job in 30/40 mins, in fact if you had 5 holes it is possible to be done within the hour

8 and this could easily be the most important of all, get your derby, break it up, and pray you will never need to float up ever again

Not too bad if you only feel violated , if you were actually violated for a mug I wouldnt like to be pricing against you for a job haha
I all ways win when pricing a job. As I only work for buckets. Money has no use to me.

At the end of the day, go home happy that you have done a good days work... Wash your tools, keep them clean, as Trigger said, look after your broom... Lastly put some moisturiser on your hands, plaster dries them out....

Evening lads. Socket screws. I've lost countless over the years - domestics!! (as I loosen faceplate to skim behind)
Just lay them in the back box. Just be careful when cutting out!

Also if you use the screws always try to use the shortest ones first because 3mm can mean the difference between fitting and not fitting

Was thinking today about a few tips pete has given me since I started out and also @zombies bonding in skim tip (which ive now used and was impressed) and was wondering if anyone else had any real good tips they were given that makes life a lot easier....i know its going to sound stupid but the course taught us to lay a ceiling on in waves starting from one wall and then moving back towards the opposite wall...pete showed me to just lay on all the way around the edge and then just fill around the light...only simple but I would have carried on doing it the way I was originally shown and that way is so much faster.[/QUOTE
Don't know if this ones been put up but her goes, when rendering with sand & cement (mainly for topping) if it not going off for a rub, spread newspaper flat onto it, gently rub your float over the surface to absorb some of the water/moisture, then gently peel the paper off - if the paper is ringing wet repeat the process, this will allow for a quicker rub up.

Good tip mate, me and pete was on a render a few weeks ago that wouldnt go off, that tip might have got us home before 7pm

Best tip I was ever given was 'give up while you still can' I should of listened.
My first week labouring back in 84 and an old chippy told me "get out while you can, the building industry is an open air lunatic asylum." Should have listened as well.

Good tip mate, me and pete was on a render a few weeks ago that wouldnt go off, that tip might have got us home before 7pm
Was thinking today about a few tips pete has given me since I started out and also @zombies bonding in skim tip (which ive now used and was impressed) and was wondering if anyone else had any real good tips they were given that makes life a lot easier....i know its going to sound stupid but the course taught us to lay a ceiling on in waves starting from one wall and then moving back towards the opposite wall...pete showed me to just lay on all the way around the edge and then just fill around the light...only simple but I would have carried on doing it the way I was originally shown and that way is so much faster.
attach EML the correct way up, scud walls prior to rendering -brill key and bulletproof. Always have a couple of empty water bottles to piss into on domestics, saves trudging dirty boots in their house. If you get a 'watcher' - nosey uninvited customer who wants to watch the plastering monkey...back flick finish at them, they don't seem to like that. Don't leave your hose out overnight...frozen hose in the morning causes a mild fit

Was thinking today about a few tips pete has given me since I started out and also @zombies bonding in skim tip (which ive now used and was impressed) and was wondering if anyone else had any real good tips they were given that makes life a lot easier....i know its going to sound stupid but the course taught us to lay a ceiling on in waves starting from one wall and then moving back towards the opposite wall...pete showed me to just lay on all the way around the edge and then just fill around the light...only simple but I would have carried on doing it the way I was originally shown and that way is so much faster.
Always start your day with full body rotations...start with your head, shoulders, elbows, wrists, fingers, moving down to your hips, knees and finally feet. Takes about two minutes to complete. Your body will thank you later in life

When plasterboarding out a room/cupboard always board the far wall first, then slide up to it the side walls - this sandwiches the far wall board in place. Don't butt the boards up tight to each other - leave a 2 mm gap...this allows for the ceiling joists expansion/contraction. Learn how to tape & joint

To obtain work think ahead of the competition, be crafty, be creative, park your sign written van in the church car park on Sunday morning worship...they'll think your one of them and work will flood in, and your guaranteed to be paid...happy days££££

To obtain work think ahead of the competition, be crafty, be creative, park your sign written van in the church car park on Sunday morning worship...they'll think your one of them and work will flood in, and your guaranteed to be paid...happy days££££
Love that one [emoji106][emoji23][emoji23]

When rendering, don't bridge the DPC - bellcast above DPC & stopbead just below the DPC

Sick of trying to find a ceiling/wall stud? Find your inner darts player, launched at the wall/ceiling, these nifty magnetic darts will soon find a nail/screw then just higher/lower will locate the other fixings. WARNING: magnetic darts and not real darts otherwise I recommend Easyfill 45. Also the punter doesn't always like the thudding sound of the darts...fook them
IMG_3741.JPG

Sick of trying to find a ceiling/wall stud? Find your inner darts player, launched at the wall/ceiling, these nifty magnetic darts will soon find a nail/screw then just higher/lower will locate the other fixings. WARNING: magnetic darts and not real darts otherwise I recommend Easyfill 45. Also the punter doesn't always like the thudding sound of the darts...fook themView attachment 15673

tip of the year

Make sure you get it flat
Make sure your angles are straight.. ie around windows, no one wants to see bend it like Beckham angles
Keep your tools clean and put plenty of dust sheets down especially on private jobs,
Cut and clean sockets out neat, Sparks will be ur friend

Use a few big sheets of plasterboard to cover rough areas.....so your gaffa wont notice and you'l still get paid.

If you had accepted the holy float I passed on you could have used it in your Sunday worship " keeper of the holy float" the flock would gift you work like the 3 wise men