Whats happened here?

Members online

Mick34

Hi,

I've moved into a new home and the plasterboard joins are very obvious.

The boards seem fastened the the studs well but as you can see the seam is obvious.

What has gone wrong and how can they be fixed?

Thanks
Whats happened here? Whats happened here? Whats happened here? Whats happened here?

Hi,

I've moved into a new home and the plasterboard joins are very obvious.

The boards seem fastened the the studs well but as you can see the seam is obvious.

What has gone wrong and how can they be fixed?

Thanks
View attachment 14745 View attachment 14746 View attachment 14747 View attachment 14748
Oh dear ,
It would appear that the plaster has a severe reaction to the wallpaper!!..lol.
Seriously though, seems that the tapes might have let go of the boards. Scrape/cut them off, pva, scrim again and reskim the walls.

tapes have blown.
what do you mean your new home, is it a new build or house that is new to you?

As Squarehead has said we've all gone back to jobs to see the odd hairline and you won't with pa per tape applied correctly. Anyone says they havnt had cracks is lying!

Sorry, its not a new home, its late 60's. If it was a problem with the tape would the plaster be loose at the raised areas? Its just that everything seems solid, its just raised at all the seams.

If it's still solid the taping was done poorly originally. Paper taped applied seam side out will often bulge out and won't go back . Scrape it right off and get it reskimmed.

It looks like a 'tape and board' job, I would suspect many of your rooms have been done this way. It does look to be a pretty poor job. My advice would be the same as already mentioned. Take the paper off, scrim the joints and skim the wall.

Dry-lining is popular now for speed and the tape and joint system advertises walls ready to paint with skim.

The problem with Dry-lining is it does nothing for 'Acoustics' in a property, literally making the walls paper thin. If you have the time and money it might be worth your while to get all the walls skimmed.

It looks like a 'tape and board' job, I would suspect many of your rooms have been done this way. It does look to be a pretty poor job. My advice would be the same as already mentioned. Take the paper off, scrim the joints and skim the wall.

Dry-lining is popular now for speed and the tape and joint system advertises walls ready to paint with skim.

The problem with Dry-lining is it does nothing for 'Acoustics' in a property, literally making the walls paper thin. If you have the time and money it might be worth your while to get all the walls skimmed.
What's 2mm of gypsum skim gonna do to better the acoustic properties of the wall?