What would you do?

Members online

Martyj27

Hello, as per pictures I've plasterboarded up a doorway. To the sides there are areas where plaster has come off its lathes.

Aside from ordering a very small amount of lime/horse hair mix... Is this something I can PVA then fill in with a bonding or one-coat plaster? Or anything else recommended?

thanks in advance

20210906_164514.jpg
20210906_164524.jpg

Thanks both. Yes in general the plaster remains well bonded to the lathes, only came away when I got over eager taking away the door frame.

Will check depths available for double boarding. What is the maximum depth you could consider for plaster (combo bonding and multi finish)?

Hello, as per pictures I've plasterboarded up a doorway. To the sides there are areas where plaster has come off its lathes.

Aside from ordering a very small amount of lime/horse hair mix... Is this something I can PVA then fill in with a bonding or one-coat plaster? Or anything else recommended?

thanks in advance

View attachment 63951View attachment 63952
you need EML between lath and board
or she will crack sir

Knock the wall off and board complete, why save yourself a days work the finished product will be in place for 50 years.
glad someone else said that.... Exactly what I would do... you will sepend your life patching and repairing but for a few hours of tonnes of dust and crap ypu get a long term solution

Thanks for all responses, seems a few options, apologies if I missed any:

1) Remove existing plaster and lath, new PB onto existing studs to make whole area fresh PB
2) Overboard with PB to the size of the large gaps screwed into existing lath and scrim edges
3) Apply EML/render mesh to the lathe gaps and apply scratch coat

Last month I took down all the ground floor lath and plaster ceilings and it would be an understatement to say the Mrs was not overly happy with the mess and would like to avoid. That said, I also don't want a solution that requires a lifetime of patching and repair.

If done properly, will options 2 & 3 eventually show cracks/issues no matter what? (if so, and I do intend on living here forever, perhaps option 1 is unfortunately the way forward.

One more thing, a ground floor room has been overskimmed at some stage in the last 15 years. When running a chase for electrics yesterday, I noted some of the plaster either side of the chase was quite happy to peel off in fairly large hard chunks. I assume an improper PVA mix to be the root cause but as it stands, the rest of the room is sound to the touch, nothing falling off on its own accord.

Would the norm be just to reskim the damaged area or is this also something that falls into the camp of "better rip it all off before it causes issues down the line"?

Thanks in advance!

One more thing, a ground floor room has been overskimmed at some stage in the last 15 years. When running a chase for electrics yesterday, I noted some of the plaster either side of the chase was quite happy to peel off in fairly large hard chunks. I assume an improper PVA mix to be the root cause but as it stands, the rest of the room is sound to the touch, nothing falling off on its own accord.

Would the norm be just to reskim the damaged area or is this also something that falls into the camp of "better rip it all off before it causes issues down the line"?

Thanks in advance!
Pics for the plastering perverse please!

There is not a cat/monkey in hells chance that that is the only bit not adhered properly.

Agreed. There's almost zero gypsum residue left on that flaked patch of wall, which says to me the skim practically flew off that wall, at the first opportunity.

Do it once, do it right, for peace of mind:

Knock the wall off and board complete, why save yourself a days work the finished product will be in place for 50 years.

glad someone else said that.... Exactly what I would do... you will sepend your life patching and repairing but for a few hours of tonnes of dust and crap ypu get a long term solution
If it was my house I would just overboard rather then have dust and muck to get rid of

So is this something that will eventually just start falling off the wall on its own accord ie I literally have no choice but to take the bad skim off and get it done again?

Unfortunately this house purchase has been a series of unfortunate events and shoddy work doesn't surprise me anymore... But... I've got so much on my plate to fix now I'm really need "easy wins" where they can apply.

So is this something that will eventually just start falling off the wall on its own accord ie I literally have no choice but to take the bad skim off and get it done again?

Unfortunately this house purchase has been a series of unfortunate events and shoddy work doesn't surprise me anymore... But... I've got so much on my plate to fix now I'm really need "easy wins" where they can apply.
lath and plaster is fine in old damp cold houses but the introduction of central heating has not helped...

Sorry I think I'm causing confusion.

To clarify there are two issues 1) lath and plaster gaps around an old door I've blocked up and 2) modern skim not properly adhered to wall.

I think for 1) the option of overboarding is the simplest, and ripping out and plasterboarding is the most long lasting.

For 2) it's still unclear whether I can sleep easy just patching up what's fallen off (with view it's only come off because of the chase, not on own accord) or whether it's gonna fall off in the near future regardless

Sorry I think I'm causing confusion.

To clarify there are two issues 1) lath and plaster gaps around an old door I've blocked up and 2) modern skim not properly adhered to wall.

I think for 1) the option of overboarding is the simplest, and ripping out and plasterboarding is the most long lasting.

For 2) it's still unclear whether I can sleep easy just patching up what's fallen off (with view it's only come off because of the chase, not on own accord) or whether it's gonna fall off in the near future regardless

Seeing as you are going to get boards in for (1) why not get some more for (2)