Wet dash

Status
Not open for further replies.

hargun

[h=2][/h]
Hi folks
Sorry about posting this here as well as on another section, first time poster and not sure where best to go for the info.
Just wondering what everyones favorite or most trustworthy mix is for wet dash, does everyone still use lime ?.
I havent had to do a job for years that has a wet dash finish (i,e stones, cement, sand and maybe lime all mixed together like slurry), now as it happens my next 2 jobs have a wet dash finish, any tips on a good mix and does everyone apply a backing coat ( butter coat ) on the scratch coat before applying the wet dash.

I think we were doing 4 pea, 1 lime,1 cement,2 washed,1 sharp. You will have to tweak this abit to acheive differing textures. No waterproof admix in the scratch,unless you want the roughcast sliding down the wall.

Welcome, there are a few discussions on this topic with a couple of decent mix/ratio guides, doo a quick search, also is it possible for you to use a bagged product , maybe another option

Last edited:
These rough finishes are coming back in. Just done a mono roughcast by machine and also a thin coat texture finish. Both look very smart. Can't comment on hand application, but from what I've seen locally.....machine application is far superior in terms of limitless areas with no drips etc and total uniformity with no throwing marks, patterns etc. good luck it's a true skill to get it mint by hand.

This is one job where a good lab WILL make all the difference, for a consistent mix when hand applying. I still prefer it coming to me slightly thicker then I can add a splash to get it right for the handboard. Sometimes I take it straight out the bucket but not very often as you have more quality coentrol when it's on the handboard.

K rend dash receiver coloured, then add your own shingle, cheaper and consistent, once practised at it, simple.

we wet dash all the time on council property, We use bagged 6mm limestone in a 3 stone, 2 sand, 1 cement mix, mix a large batch in two baths, lay on full wall and start harling. its messy work and tidying up takes ages but we get a nice finish,

thanks all, was on holidays so just geting round to checking out the replies. all very helpful thanks again

we wet dash all the time on council property, We use bagged 6mm limestone in a 3 stone, 2 sand, 1 cement mix, mix a large batch in two baths, lay on full wall and start harling. its messy work and tidying up takes ages but we get a nice finish,

we run 2 cement mixes one for dash one for corse stuff. it is a very quick job but heavy work.
we put sheets down to cut down on the waste mats.

Hey hargun,
I do a fair bit wet dash but you may have to alter pea mix to suit match surrounding properties,
Scratch coat (with waterproofer)
4/1 cement coat
6mm granit or round pea shingle, cement
, sand @ 4/1/1,

Tape up windows and doors with polythene as save loads of time at end!

Also Malcs 2 mixer idea

Hope this helps

Some prefer to wet dash straight on the scratch coat but it can slide. I prefer the butter coat then wet dash when it has firmed up a bit.

hi have done alot of roughcast in the past and as already said a good labourer makes all the difference. mixed 3 bags 6mm chips 2 sand and one cement no fab but a little lime, i like to put on a tight coat of mortar then run a light flooring brush on it. as the saying goes it,s a dirty job but someone,s gotta do it:RpS_laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.