websites again

Status
Not open for further replies.

mickey07

Just done a four page website (well the mrs did anyway as she has the right tools at work to do it)....anyway just want to know how do you go about getting it on googles first page and what the costs roughly are in gettin it on page 1 of google...just got to buy the domain name this week....then should e upand running....

it costs me about £4,000.00 a year to be on the first page of google and yahoo but thats for 3 websites, try to pick a good domain name is top priority or you will never be found... try google and yahoo Pay Per Click for 3 months until your site is listed in the search engines, make sure you get your meta tags correct as they are more important than the look of the website...

Why pay someone? Buy some books, look on the web, google SEO. Theres loads of tips and plastering doesnt particularly have much keyword competition. Ive just made my own site. Bought loads of books spent all my days over christmas doing it, and am dead proud of it now. Still a few nooks and crannys to sort out but im happy with the majority of it.

From what i have read, its all about content (placing keywords in your text and headings tactically etc) keeping content fresh, getting links from sites related to yours and a few more bits and bobs.

Seriously get on google and read up some stuff, dont pay these SEO companies hundreds, they will hardly have to put any work into a site about plastering as there isnt much competition (especially if your trading locally)

Thats my 2 cents

the spelling is rubbish and your use of a sentence has no bearing on the subject matter... stick to plastering mate and get your ugly mug of your website hahahha

sam.jpg

hahahahaha oh well..... im happy with it though, like i say there are a few things to sort out, and yeah, grammar is definitely one of them! anyway, criticism only makes for great success!

Why pay someone? Buy some books, look on the web, google SEO. Theres loads of tips and plastering doesnt particularly have much keyword competition. Ive just made my own site. Bought loads of books spent all my days over christmas doing it, and am dead proud of it now. Still a few nooks and crannys to sort out but im happy with the majority of it.

From what i have read, its all about content (placing keywords in your text and headings tactically etc) keeping content fresh, getting links from sites related to yours and a few more bits and bobs.

Seriously get on google and read up some stuff, dont pay these SEO companies hundreds, they will hardly have to put any work into a site about plastering as there isnt much competition (especially if your trading locally)

Thats my 2 cents

4,000 pound? LOL ill do it for half viva read some books over xmas ...and has quite a few facts set straight in his post. SEO is important ...but is also a scammy business.

anyone wanting to build a website and have it easy to update,easily crawlable by google,seo friendly right out of the box ....look no further then wordpress ...easy to learn,excellent community behind it and the best part ...FREE

4000 pound bwhahahaha

site just needs polish is all ....and is far from rubbish ...me self I think it looks good ....pretty similiar to my setup on my new site Authentic Venetian Plaster and Stucco | Vancouver BC.

what system is it ...kinda looks like worpress but isnt.....although it too is some type of cms

most important aspect of your site is your blog.....blog....and blog often google loves blog ,keep the subject strictly about plastering ....and dont wander off talking about your dog.....

nah the only pages which are CMS are the /blog/, rest is all html.... HTML5 too (hopefully the 1st plasterer to use the latest code!!)

Yeah i just set my blog up, but when i checked it the other day on internet explorer it was all mangled. IE must be the worst browser ever. I plan on making some tutorials and stuff for diyers, get some page views from it rather than depending on local searches!

Oh and thanks for the compliments!

nah the only pages which are CMS are the /blog/, rest is all html.... HTML5 too (hopefully the 1st plasterer to use the latest code!!)

Yeah i just set my blog up, but when i checked it the other day on internet explorer it was all mangled. IE must be the worst browser ever. I plan on making some tutorials and stuff for diyers, get some page views from it rather than depending on local searches!

Oh and thanks for the compliments!

yep I just checked in IE and the whole site is kinda mangled for me.....fact is most people use IE ...i have some troubles on mine with IE as well

IMO I would redo the whole site in wordpress ...wouldnt take more then an hour or 2

probably are the first plasterer to use it :p..... html 5 that is

yep diy tutorials project specific blog posts 3-5 hundred word blog posts and you will rank 1st in derby in no time for "plasterer"

hahaha.... yeah if only SEO was that easy....lol that is the basics but it goes a whole lot further than that.... SEO is only scammy for those companies that cant rank sites and feed you bullshit as to why they cant.

All my sites rank and having a blog on a site is all well and good but not needed especially for a small plastering site just makes work for you. If you are building a site in a market that is mega competitive then maybe a blog will help but in all honesty its a bit of over kill.

I charge companies a fair bit for SEO services each month and they happily pay it especially if they are already spending £5K a year on adwords, PPC marketing is absolute joke the only people who click on them are your competitors.

@vivajustice if the code you have used is good and not full of errors or over kill then a html site will rank ok, but if you use WYSIWYG editor do it then they leave crappy code throughout which effects SEO. Yes wordpress is pretty awesome with regards to building sites, but there are a lot of tweaks that are needed to make it rank and simply out of the box its not going to be easy.

Danny

@vivajustice if the code you have used is good and not full of errors or over kill then a html site will rank ok, but if you use WYSIWYG editor do it then they leave crappy code throughout
crappy code as in what? I used html for my main site, as apart from adding pictures to my gallery (which only takes a few minutes with html no need 4 CMS and automated media crap) the site will be pretty much static. and wordpress for my blog, but as i already stated, it looks mangled on IE, looks ok on IE 9(beta) and all the rest, whether its because they all support html5 and IE8 doesnt support it very well, i dont know but it is doing my head in.....

my static pages have pretty much no errors, i think my home page has an error as i used a bit of php to get excerpts from my blog to display on it, which caused an error, but google doesnt really care about errors, only if its so bad they cant crawl....

When I say crappy, I mean that there are more than one way to skin a cat.... like there are lots of ways to align text... there are also lots of ways to layout a site. coding done by someone that is inexperienced will have "bad" coding which can increase load times which also effects se rankings.

bad coding wont result in errors but can/ will effect SE placement

I dont call myself a web designer as I really dont like doing it but I will and can do it, however because I know a lot about SEO and I am not talking about the stuff thats written in books I am talking about the stuff that you only know from testing split testing.

I rank a site for a company that generates them a lot of money every month and they use to pay a web design company a lot of money to SEO a site and they could not do it and all they did was feed them bull s**t and lies I have read a lot of the correspondence from them and it had me in stitches.

:)

fair play to you,im 29 and at that age where i should know a bit about computing,but i know jack.
but i know how to switch it on and thats it.

Owls I no very little about computers.... I am just obsessed with stats and figures... oh yeah and I love marketing!! I loving watching companies launch a new product and see how they do it and what works and how it can be applied....

I get friends asking me why their comp does not work, I am like I dunno....lol

my kid sisters at manchester uni doing a marketing degree, so i get all that off her aswell

back on topic
whats with the blog on your site viva,who gives a monkeys what your average plasterer gets up to.

not planning on giving a diary of my day to day life, ill be adding tips and tutorials for the masses, more content and more options for people to link to me with ;) If you post something worthwhile people will share it, giving your site more authority.....

hello, we have a plastering and marketing guru in our mists,david brent has nowt on you.

Well i'm getting a fair bit of work off mine at the mo, cheers Danny:RpS_thumbup:
Definetly worth having a site these days!

cheers Nisus :)

no need for a blog in my opinion :) its not helping you really. I have sites I built 6 years ago that I have not touched that still rank on the top of the big G

Yup.... not looked at it yet though :-( I will probably get round to it tomorrow spent most of today asleep

thought that would get some responses... ahhaha £4,000 a year... i pay no more than £100.00 a year for PPC and thats over 3 websites... i have my limit set at £0.05p per click but i only use specific search terms in my marketing so basically i only get clicks from people who know what they want... I just put plasterer uk into google which is a very very broad term and one of my sites came 4th out of 250000 results

back on topic
whats with the blog on your site viva,who gives a monkeys what your average plasterer gets up to.

no one does ...noone cares one toss but this is where danny and myself looks like disagree the blog is the most important part of your site ...the more content about plastering the better,content goes stagnant after time constantly updating it with new fresh stories about plastering (or any subject) creating blog posts about specific repairs or problems you have had yada yada .....simply creates more searchable text for google,searchable titles and hence more likely for punters to find your site ........they wont read it or very few would anyways ....but if they are looking for a "plasterer in Derby" you now have a better chance to rank for specific search terms ....create the search terms in your blog posts,if you eventually have hundreds of blog posts about plastering plaster repair ...it only stands to reason that the content of the posts becomes foddeer for google.
Now all this is not to say you go and create a bunch of s**t .....google is smarter then that ...content is king and your blog adds content to your site hands down fact.
can you do it with out a blog ...most certainly,its just easier with a blog..
My website/blog for this year alone has me doing almost $700,000.00 worth of work,all of it because of the text inside my blog posts and the designers finding my site

""not planning on giving a diary of my day to day life, ill be adding tips and tutorials for the masses, more content and more options for people to link to me with ;) If you post something worthwhile people will share it, giving your site more authority..... """

100% accurate,problem is you will find very few backlinks get created for your plastering site,but your intent is there and the thoughts are correct ,its all about authority

Danny is correct, SEO is not easy to get right and a lot of web design companies don't get it right/can't get it right.
I don't pay a single penny for my sites high ranking, I paid a fair price for the design and SEO and I made the money back 3 times over on my first job from the website. It took about 4 months for my site to work its way to the top, well worth the wait and I've had the busiest Dec, Jan in 4 years.
Google for a plasterer in Warwickshire, Midlands Im always on the first page and I'ts an absolute pleasure to get quality customers and no bullsh*ters because they see the quality of your website.
check out rugbyplastermaster

yeah i stopped just now. then i'll start again in an hour or so. got the van mate, its all racked out ready to go. in milton keynes monday.

Status
Not open for further replies.