Weber renderaid and Krend

Members online

bt0558

I have an area of 10 sq m render on side wall of a bungalow which is 60 year old very sound brick, block (not thermalite) with a concrete lintel above a window.

I have done a fair bit of amateur plastering and a bit or SC render before.

I am looking to use weber rendaid over the lot and then 2 coats of Krend silicone K1 or or FT with a layer of mesh in between.

or i could go.....

I could use Sika rendergrip over the troublesome areas such as lintel and the Krend HP12 followed by 2 coats of Krend silicone K1 or or FT with a layer of mesh in between.

I would rather use the first option if possible.

Anyone happy to advise whether they will both/either work ok and any particular issues i should look for,

Thanks

This type of work is NOT a diy project.
You have convinced me Malc. I am getting quotes today. I came here for help so I would be daft not to take it.

If anyone can recommend someone in Poole Dorset who will have a look and recommend and give a quote then feel free to post info here.

Thanks all

You have convinced me Malc. I am getting quotes today. I came here for help so I would be daft not to take it.

If anyone can recommend someone in Poole Dorset who will have a look and recommend and give a quote then feel free to post info here.

Thanks all
@Olican do you cover this area mate?
Oli is a lovely guy and a good tradesman. He is however Welsh, try to look past this.

Slight change of plan for me. I was persuaded to get someone in by advice on here but I have now had a number of quotes having spoken to a number of professional tradespeople and for a number of reasons i have decided I am going to attempt to do this work myself.

Also spoke to K-rend and Weber technical people Friday and they were incredibly helpful.

I will ask a few questions of people while i am planning and hopefully get some serious responses.

My mind was finally made up when I saw a tradesperson on here who actually charges customers for their services asking what the "big circles" were on their finished wall that wouldn't go no matter how much they scratched back.

When i am finished I will post photos of my results and possibly some photos as I go so that people can say "we told you so" or hopefully "doesn't look too bad".

I also saw today another supplier of rendering services explaining that just as Sand and cement render comprises sand and cement, the main component of monocouche render is a substance called "monocouche" which is added during manufacture.

Slight change of plan for me. I was persuaded to get someone in by advice on here but I have now had a number of quotes having spoken to a number of professional tradespeople and for a number of reasons i have decided I am going to attempt to do this work myself.

Also spoke to K-rend and Weber technical people Friday and they were incredibly helpful.

I will ask a few questions of people while i am planning and hopefully get some serious responses.

My mind was finally made up when I saw a tradesperson on here who actually charges customers for their services asking what the "big circles" were on their finished wall that wouldn't go no matter how much they scratched back.

When i am finished I will post photos of my results and possibly some photos as I go so that people can say "we told you so" or hopefully "doesn't look too bad".
What you mean to say is I can’t believe it costs that much to render, sod it I’ll have a crack at it myself

What you mean to say is I can’t believe it costs that much to render, sod it I’ll have a crack at it myself

No Stewie03, if I had meant that I would have said that.

We are just coming the the end of a large extension and refurbishment.Paid £13,000 to the electrician, £10,000 to the plumber, £9,000 for the kitchen plus fitting and £6,000 to the plasterer plus materials. Carpentry came in at £32,000. Just some examples of what needs to be paid to get things you cant do yourself done.

The quotes of for the rendering that needs to be done are far lower than anything above and in fact I have 90 sq m to be done. I only said 10 sq m as I thought I might get some sensible answers to my questions. If i had said 90 sq m then people like yourself would have done nothing but take the piss.

After all this is a "New to plastering" / "DIY plastering thread" . Clearly there is some excellent advice but much what is posted here is from those who think they can do what no one else can do. I have had advice from some providing quotes which is at best misleading and at worst simply lies.

So i have been happy to pay to have work done by craftspeople. The roofers were s**t so i (we) put the 2,000 tiles on along with membrane, celotex and battens in line with Building regs. We paid to have that cement cladding and soffits/facias and rainwater stuff done and it was worth every penny.

The front garden and drive will cost more than the rendering.

So no, the cost of the rendering is minimal compared with the other costs involved in the extension and remodelling and we would be very happy to pay to have it done. It is the last thing i want to be doing over the next few weeks but such is life.

I will come back with some pictures. I am confident it will be flat, consistent colour and texture. No halo rings or ghost lines or cracks or No air bubbles Even when lit it will look fine, it will just take me a bit longer than the professional tradesperson and when i am done i will be proud, but i will still wish that I had a renderer do it than do it myself.

ps. the cash i will save will pay for top quality materials, a covering to allow me to work when there is a small amount of rain in the air, new tools where need specially for the render/finish, possibly a couple of low platforms, a new mixer and possibly a cement mixer for me to do some work around the back garden. By the time I am done I wont save too much at all for all the effort i will need to put in but the job will be done right.

I have no doubt that if you were to do the job you would do it quicker than me and mostly better than me. But I will do ok. More people ought to try stuff for themselves.

I may start a local DIY co operative on facebook. "You can do it if you try and do enough preparation"

Ps. I get comments about the quality of my roof all the time. and while i was doing the ridge, the views of Poole harbour were amazing.

Keep safe Stevie and keep fighting the fight

We are just coming the the end of a large extension and refurbishment.Paid £13,000 to the electrician, £10,000 to the plumber, £9,000 for the kitchen plus fitting and £6,000 to the plasterer plus materials. Carpentry came in at £32,000. Just some examples of what needs to be paid to get things you cant do yourself done.

The quotes of for the rendering that needs to be done are far lower than anything above and in fact I have 90 sq m to be done. I only said 10 sq m as I thought I might get some sensible answers to my questions. If i had said 90 sq m then people like yourself would have done nothing but take the piss.

After all this is a "New to plastering" / "DIY plastering thread" . Clearly there is some excellent advice but much what is posted here is from those who think they can do what no one else can do. I have had advice from some providing quotes which is at best misleading and at worst simply lies.

So i have been happy to pay to have work done by craftspeople. The roofers were s**t so i (we) put the 2,000 tiles on along with membrane, celotex and battens in line with Building regs. We paid to have that cement cladding and soffits/facias and rainwater stuff done and it was worth every penny.

So no, the cost of the rendering is minimal compared with the other costs involved in the extension and remodelling and we would be very happy to pay to have it done. It is the last thing i want to be doing over the next few weeks but such is life.

I will come back with some pictures. I am confident it will be flat, consistent colour and texture. No halo rings or ghost lines or cracks or No air bubbles Even when lit it will look fine, it will just take me a bit longer than the professional tradesperson and when i am done i will be proud, but i will still wish that I had a renderer do it than do it myself.

ps. the cash i will save will pay for top quality materials, a covering to allow me to work when there is a small amount of rain in the air, new tools where need specially for the render/finish, possibly a couple of low platforms, a new mixer and possibly a cement mixer for me to do some work around the back garden. By the time I am done I wont save too much at all for all the effort i will need to put in but the job will be done right.

I have no doubt that if you were to do the job you would do it quicker than me and mostly better than me. But I will do ok. More people ought to try stuff for themselves.

I may start a local DIY co operative on facebook. "You can do it if you try and do enough preparation"

Ps. I get comments about the quality of my roof all the time. and while i was doing the ridge, the views of Poole harbour were amazing.

Sorry....Stewie not Stevie

So you've got 90sqm of rendering to do and have had quotes lower than the 6k for plastering, 9k for kitchen and 13k for the electrics? You're either full of shite, speaking to the wrong type of tradesmen, or both.

@John j
Bit of break time reading for you geez!

Please do would be nice to compare your finish. To these self called experts on here

Oh dear , Mono is not as easy as you think to get a quality finish. Every one wants to have a go that is why they get halos etc. Where about in the country are you?. Seek some more quotes from renderers with a pump, Mono is heavy by hand. They will have the tools to do the work and will know when to use them. What you tell me about your methods has disaster written all over it.

Don't forget bud the rendering on your property is the crowning glory. The first thing to be seen and judged as people come near.
A lot of us on here have both hand applied AND used a pump and there is absolutely no contest, pump wins.
The speed of application you will need to get the stuff on and level off to a satisfactory standard can take years to achieve. Let alone scraping it back while keeping it flat. Please don't underestimate this just because you've spoken to a few chancers and got ribbed a bit on here.

Sonye can't afford it so you gonna think everyone's gonna coach you for free now. Good luck with that

Even after 20 years plastering I can honestly say I wouldn’t just have a go mate , been there and messed up a few jobs myself and had to redo them for free it’s a bitter pill to swallow for sure Rendaid ain’t cheap at least £25 - £30 a bag , plus if it’s an absolute mess of job you make your gonna be chopping it off to start again it’s very sticky stuff will be hard to get off too

Even sorting out plug sockets in my own house I pay an electrician cus i know I’m crap with that kinda stuff

Even after 20 years plastering I can honestly say I wouldn’t just have a go mate , been there and messed up a few jobs myself and had to redo them for free it’s a bitter pill to swallow for sure Rendaid ain’t cheap at least £25 - £30 a bag , plus if it’s an absolute mess of job you make your gonna be chopping it off to start again it’s very sticky stuff will be hard to get off too

Even sorting out plug sockets in my own house I pay an electrician cus i know I’m crap with that kinda stuff
Are you the ghost of Christmas Past?

When i am finished I will post photos of my results and possibly some photos as I go so that people can say "we told you so" or hopefully "doesn't look too
I also saw today another supplier of rendering services explaining that just as Sand and cement render comprises sand and cement, the main component of monocouche render is a substance called "monocouche" which is added during manufacture.
Mate stop posting you are making yourself look f**k**g stupid, you are diving head first into a f**k up and clearly haven't got a clue about rendering. Good luck anyways

41FFFCFB-C1FA-4809-A0B6-30285170E28B.png
41FFFCFB-C1FA-4809-A0B6-30285170E28B.png

Just incase any other dummies come on thinking monocouche is an ingredient. :hueco::rolleyes: