Wage rises

Yeah. Probably.
I think tradesmen rates are all out of sync with reality. Partly market forces and just the way it is. Very often van, running costs, tools are built in the day rate. £150+materials a day is about £80 take home. I spent over £1000 on tools last year and £600 on van. Never mind tax and insurance. £250 workware. Parking costs.office. laundry. Accounting. Bank charges. The list goes on and and all costs come off day rate.

Yep,but theres alot of lads on here who think getting that is a fair rate there can only charge to get job..not many realise there part of the wider problem..if cant make domestic pay go do site work and work on per m2 rate..just thought I'd throw a nye bomb in there

So minimum wage is going up to £8.50 ish per hour in a few months,by 2024 it's going to be £10.50 a hour..my question is are some of you numptys still going to be charging £150 to skim a living room etc because "it's a days work"
f**k the £150’s it ain’t the early 90’s. People need to start charging a bare minimum of between £200 / £250 a day regardless of where you are in the country!

Gah! Thank you for giving my brain a kick..on-line calculator says 8.50/hr, 37.5hr/wk (yeah right..) is £56.95/day take home after stoppages but assumes you work a full week and in full time employment. So the question is how many days a year do you work? And how much for the van, tools, labour etc.

Using Wayners numbers, if you use your loaf/calculators the day rate has just got to go up but many will think it is still ok at 150.

Gah! Thank you for giving my brain a kick..on-line calculator says 8.50/hr, 37.5hr/wk (yeah right..) is £56.95/day take home after stoppages but assumes you work a full week and in full time employment. So the question is how many days a year do you work? And how much for the van, tools, labour etc.

Using Wayners numbers, if you use your loaf/calculators the day rate has just got to go up but many will think it is still ok at 150.
It's going upto £8.71 I think..even more wonga to be had

Dont believe any of that shite as in where there are in country etc..look at lurpy..f**k**g Birmingham isnt he? f**k me cant get anywhere more deprived than Birmingham and he charges a good rate
I don’t believe any of that b*ll***s either! You will always get what your “worth” if you do a pukka job and sell yourself right! Turn up like a tramp at a job in a tramps van and do a trampy job then you will, and only deserve tramps wages!!

I've done domestics years ago and made good money. I got fed up with dickhead customers in the end
This is why domestic rates are much higher then on site! Dealing with awkward customers, sheeting up, phone calls, pricing are all part and parcel of the job. If you have the correct mindset then your ok! I’ve said plenty of times before that a lot of site boys couldn’t cut it on domestic.

Dont believe any of that shite as in where there are in country etc..look at lurpy..f**k**g Birmingham isnt he? f**k me cant get anywhere more deprived than Birmingham and he charges a good rate

I’m not in Birmingham, but I’m not far from it. I’ve done lots if work in brum tho at very good rates. Brums a bit like London. Some s**t areas but also some nice areas with money.

i got some s**t for this one as people was asking what you earn a day. This was in brum. Flat full of artex lids. One very long day was about £1200 or something.

I’ve worked all over really, brum, Leicester, stoke on trent, burton etc etc all around these areas and I’ll never work for pennies.

I posted this before on another thread about wages and markup on materials etc.......
If you’re self employed then you have to generally remember that you are a business man 1st and a spread 2nd....not the other way round. However you price, you should be looking to cover overheads, wages and profit. I see plenty of people say they are £175 a day....If that’s what they are charging then they aren’t earning £175 a day. When you start looking at overheads it can be surprising how much it adds up. Insurance, van, tools, MOT, tax, fuel, work clothes, printer ink, servicing, advertising, phone etc etc.

You also have to factor in that you don’t get paid holidays or a pension.

Just for an example per annum...insurances £800, van on tick £2400, tools £300, tax and MOT £200, servicing £400, clothes £300, fuel £5000, stationary £120, advertising £1000, phone £350

Total £10870

Then factor in that you only want/can work 46 weeks a year due to public holidays, the odd day off and a holiday a year.

Then factor in you aren’t getting a pension contribution as you are self employed.

You want a wage of £875 a week (£45500 a year)

£10870 a year expenses

Then if you was working in the public sector you would be looking at a minimum of a 5% pension contribution (£2275 a year)

£45500 wages
£10870 expenses
£2275 Towards a pension

Total £58,645

£58,645 / 46 working weeks=£1274 a week or £254.80 a day

If you just have your plastering head on and not your business head and charge £175 a day with the above expenses and the fact your not getting a pension and factoring in holidays etc then your actually earning about £104 a day.....You would be better off working for someone else and not have all the stress/bother of quoting, dealing with customers etc and be earning more money.

So to answer the question...yes you should be adding a mark up as you need to make as much as poss to cover everything including guaranteeing your work and the material you’ve provided. Anything you make on top by providing a markup could be profit for your business.....To not would be bad business sense imo.

I’m not in Birmingham, but I’m not far from it. I’ve done lots if work in brum tho at very good rates. Brums a bit like London. Some s**t areas but also some nice areas with money.

i got some s**t for this one as people was asking what you earn a day. This was in brum. Flat full of artex lids. One very long day was about £1200 or something.

I’ve worked all over really, brum, Leicester, stoke on trent, burton etc etc all around these areas and I’ll never work for pennies.

You've done what I would do..charged per ceiling instead of the job add it all up =££££

I don’t believe any of that b*ll***s either! You will always get what your “worth” if you do a pukka job and sell yourself right! Turn up like a tramp at a job in a tramps van and do a trampy job then you will, and only deserve tramps wages!!
[/https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qJRxVBj63Gg

agree with you fully mate. Can’t think of a worse game to be in if earning 150 aday
You've done what I would do..charged per ceiling instead of the job add it all up =££££

How the f**k else would you do it lol.

Bricktop is right of course except for one thing - even on 104/day..you are a free man.
After years of being a paid employee at a desk and the shite and bollox that came with it , the relief of being in control of my own life and not at someone else's beck and call is huge.
Yes my income is poor and age is making me able to do less but I'm fcking free and I'm never going back

Pricing domestics I'd say I'm successful on 30% of them if that..I'm not interested in the 70%..had one guy phone me to skim a it's only a chimney stack could you do it on way home..said yep £260 plus vat..said he had a quote for £80..and the c**ts still ringing round lol
I f**k**g hate peasants like that.....end up getting 8 quotes for a 200-300 job.