Vertical radiator on single stud?

Members online

phloaw

Hi, I have an internal, decorated plasterboard wall with poor studding: from left to right, there is a 22mm wide (i.e., horizontally parallel to the wall) stud, then a 38mm stud (the two studs are spaced 60cm), then the jack stud of the door.
I need to hang a ~2500 BTUs radiator (I have gas central heating), and I'd prefer to avoid both hanging on plasterboard and adding battens/noggins to fix the brackets.

So I thought to fit a vertical radiator (total width 27cm) by fixing all the four brackets to the 38mm stud via steel plates/flat brackets similar to this one:
https://res.cloudinary.com/rsc/image/upload/b_rgb:FFFFFF,c_pad,dpr_1.0,f_auto,h_281,q_auto,w_500/c_pad,h_281,w_500/F3975008-01?pgw=1

Would that work and be doable?
Any suggestion welcome.

Hi, I have an internal, decorated plasterboard wall with poor studding: from left to right, there is a 22mm wide (i.e., horizontally parallel to the wall) stud, then a 38mm stud (the two studs are spaced 60cm), then the jack stud of the door.
I need to hang a ~2500 BTUs radiator (I have gas central heating), and I'd prefer to avoid both hanging on plasterboard and adding battens/noggins to fix the brackets.

So I thought to fit a vertical radiator (total width 27cm) by fixing all the four brackets to the 38mm stud via steel plates/flat brackets similar to this one:
https://res.cloudinary.com/rsc/image/upload/b_rgb:FFFFFF,c_pad,dpr_1.0,f_auto,h_281,q_auto,w_500/c_pad,h_281,w_500/F3975008-01?pgw=1

Any suggestion welcome.
I think you need to be on the plumbers forum.

Any suggestion welcome.
Just screw one side to the stud and use plasterboard fixings for the other. It's what they're made for

from what you've said you've hardly got any strength/integrity in that wall to hang a rad
there's no way I'd rely on plasterboard fixings to support it properly even just on one bracket do the job properly pal, don't cut corners like some of the clowns do on here get some more wood in the wall where necessary and fix the hanging brackets into solid timber

from what you've said you've hardly got any strength/integrity in that wall to hang a rad
there's no way I'd rely on plasterboard fixings to support it properly even just on one bracket do the job properly pal, don't cut corners like some of the clowns do on here get some more wood in the wall where necessary and fix the hanging brackets into solid timber
So 4 screws into a stud and 4 screws into plasterboard fixings can't hold a radiator? Pillock

laugh all you like nath, robbo123 what ever the fk your name is you've got zero credibility on here

laugh all you like nath, robbo123 what ever the fk your name is you've got zero credibility on here
Ive posted up plenty of my work mate, never had anyone say anything negative.

So you're saying gripit plasterboard fixings aren't up to the job? Despite 1000s of 5 star reviews?

Ive posted up plenty of my work mate, never had anyone say anything negative.

So you're saying gripit plasterboard fixings aren't up to the job? Despite 1000s of 5 star reviews?
board fixings are only as good as the wall it's being fixed to and that's the issue he's got.... in his words poor studding which means poor strength/integrity
like I said you've got zero credibility on here I don't give a fk what pictures you've posted what kind of a twaat puts standard board up in a wet area?
why would you even fkin do that just to save a few quid?
any half decent self-respecting tradesperson would at least use MR board in a wet area

you come across as a cheap ass chancer working for cheap ass clientele

board fixings are only as good as the wall it's being fixed to and that's the issue he's got.... in his words poor studding which means poor strength/integrity
like I said you've got zero credibility on here I don't give a fk what pictures you've posted what kind of a twaat puts standard board up in a wet area?
why would you even fkin do that just to save a few quid?
any half decent self-respecting tradesperson would at least use MR board in a wet area

you come across as a cheap ass chancer working for cheap ass clientele
Yes no good plasterer has ever used standard board in a bathroom...
You're an odd little fella

Yes no good plasterer has ever used standard board in a bathroom...
You're an odd little fella
I've used standard board in a bathroom like probably every other spread has in history
I'm specifically talking about a tiled wet area which you so proudly boast that you board in standard.

I might be retired after over 35 years sunshine but I'm still passionate about the trade and I'll question anyone I see posting bollox when I see it on here to try and keep whatever integrity is left in this trade.

I've used standard board in a bathroom like probably every other spread has in history
I'm specifically talking about a tiled wet area which you so proudly boast that you board in standard.

I might be retired after over 35 years sunshine but I'm still passionate about the trade and I'll question anyone I see posting bollox when I see it on here to try and keep whatever integrity is left in this trade.
Prob best to leave it to the people in the trade then mate (y)

Any suggestion welcome.
Check weight of rad against the weight ratings of the fixings ?? If in doubt...fit extra timber and noggins. I always over compensate with plumbing fittings as once had a rad come off a wall in my.own house lol....

Thanks. Do you think that would be ok with a 9.5 deep plasterboard? Sorry, I forgot to mention that detail.
9.5mm plasterboard is weaker than @carl-the-plasterer arguments. You need a timber behind there if that's the case. Using that at 400 centers is bad enough but at 600 is ridiculous

Says the man who had to work 35 years before he retired... Obviously did really well for yourself
I did pal thanks......retiring comfortably at 55 is just a pipe dream for a fkin clown like yourself.
from what i've seen you'll be grafting like a twaat well into your 60's with fk all to show for it except a dose of arthritis :coffe:

If you have to work 35 years plastering you've done something very wrong. And you're certainly in no place to cast judgment over others and their "clientele"

Maybe he spent it all on cement boards
That wa actually funny for you!

Ok, I'm confused now :)
Anyway, thanks to all who commented. Btw, when I said "poor studding" I just meant that. I didn't imply that the plasterboard couldn't stand weight with appropriate fixings. This is something I don't know.

Ok, I'm confused now :)
Anyway, thanks to all who commented. Btw, when I said "poor studding" I just meant that. I didn't imply that the plasterboard couldn't stand weight with appropriate fixings. This is something I don't know.
Why you confused...you've been told that you need more timber support / noggins and 9.5ml board is only ok for hanging picture frames from.. amazing what people read what they want to read...