Vertical damp patch on brick - No one knows what it is!

Members online

Toilet-Duck

Just wondering if anyone can give me some advice as I'm at a real loss.

I recently purchased a property back in April (new build built back in 2016 but only recently bought by myself) and have been moving in and ordering various furniture.

Back in July (when we had a large downpour) I noticed a large watermark suddnly appear down the side of the back of the propety in one area.

Had a roofer out who fully checked the roof and guttering was advised that the gutter was completely blocked and required realigning. This was unblocked, realigned and extra clips added to guttering. Was advised to wait a few weeks and that the wall should dry out.

Roll on a few weeks and the wall wasn't drying out (was exactly the same) had a builder out and he advised that it could be the electrical socket causing damp due to being drilled through instead of being sealed.

I've had a electricican out and was advised that it was simply drilled straight through without any sealent added. He sealed the hole but did advise he didn't think it would cause the issue.

Roll on a few months and the water mark still hasn't disappeared (it's exactly the same from July) I'm at a total loss on what I should do now.

I had a further roofer out who advised there was a small hairline crack but that would not cause the issue (had it replaced anyway) but had no effect.

There doesn't appear to be any damp coming through on the inside, it still smells brand new and there isn't any bubbling on the inside.

Does anyone have any idea on what could be causing this and what sort of tradesmen I require to properly diagnose the issue, everyone one I have had out so far has no clue on what could be causing this.

Could the wall simply have a water stain or is it something more serious?

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• July.JPG
    July.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 567
  • Sept.JPG
    Sept.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 552

I recently purchased a property back in April (new build built back in 2016 but only recently bought by myself) and have been moving in and ordering various furniture.

Back in July (when we had a large downpour) I noticed a large watermark suddnly appear down the side of the back of the propety in one area.

Had a roofer out who fully checked the roof and guttering was advised that the gutter was completely blocked and required realigning. This was unblocked, realigned and extra clips added to guttering. Was advised to wait a few weeks and that the wall should dry out.

Roll on a few weeks and the wall wasn't drying out (was exactly the same) had a builder out and he advised that it could be the electrical socket causing damp due to being drilled through instead of being sealed.

I've had a electricican out and was advised that it was simply drilled straight through without any sealent added. He sealed the hole but did advise he didn't think it would cause the issue.

Roll on a few months and the water mark still hasn't disappeared (it's exactly the same from July) I'm at a total loss on what I should do now.

I had a further roofer out who advised there was a small hairline crack but that would not cause the issue (had it replaced anyway) but had no effect.

There doesn't appear to be any damp coming through on the inside, it still smells brand new and there isn't any bubbling on the inside.

Does anyone have any idea on what could be causing this and what sort of tradesmen I require to properly diagnose the issue, everyone one I have had out so far has no clue on what could be causing this.

Thanks in advance
Flow of water off those dormers running down main roof and over shooting gutter in heavy rain.
Check when next hard rainfall.

Does it coincide with a dividing wall inside? Clearly quite a bit of modification with the brickwork at some point. Could be water tracking down the cavity.

Check if they’ve thrown them over the inner skin if possible. Sparkies are c**ts like that. Plasterers forum will sort it.

Thanks in advance

Did you resolve this?

Have you been outside in the rain to see if it is what @tapit was saying about the heavy rain?

Flow of water off those dormers running down main roof and over shooting gutter in heavy rain.
Check when next hard rainfall.

Checked this yesterday and everything is flowing into the gutter, there isnt any splashback on any of wall. Stood outside for 15 minutes in the heavy downpour to ensure it wasnt the gutter.

Does it coincide with a dividing wall inside? Clearly quite a bit of modification with the brickwork at some point. Could be water tracking down the cavity.

There is a wall going along the inside wall in the dining room but no dividing wall attaching photo of oppsite wall (attached photo)

If it's only 3 years old then call nhbc

This is one of the issue I have I don't have an NHBC warranty it wasn't provided as part of the sale (long story) due to the reduced price I only have indemnity cover.

I've attached a photo of the bedroom above, it isnt a massive room but could it be a pipe? Im now wondering if it could be to do with my heating although Im not losing any pressure on the system.

Had a further builder out and hes indicated there seems to be "slight" damp on the inside wall but I can't see nor smell any damp. He recommends removing outer bricks to investigate further, does this seem the best way to go about this to locate cause? I was hoping to avoid this being a new build but it doesnt look like I have any other way to find the cause?

Attachments

• diing.png
    diing.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 365
  • bedroom.png
    bedroom.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 360
Can you not get to the eaves internally? Could just be stained from when it was built.

No unfortunately not its blocked off by a wall it seems on the bedroom by an alcove.

The stain wasnt there about a month or so ago, damp meter is also showing slight damp on the internal wall where the stain is on the outdoor brick?

The only thing that has occured since I've moved in was a large downpour (no obvious sign of water running down wall) and it seems too uniform to be simply water running down a wall its like its in a very straight line?

I've also had the heating on and turned on the mains water supply

Last edited:
See how it stops at your ceiling height, I think you’ve a slight leak internally that’s dripping on to them outside socket cables thus bridging your cavity. If they’re used fluff in the cavity and not kingspan it will stay damp. Take the outdoor socket off, investigate behind it if the holes big enough.

A very defined area of damp, l think if the source was from rain water it would be less well defined. Could it be from condensation from cold bridging, there appear to be a lot of cavity vents. Think you need to get someone to take moisture readings on the surface and within the thickness of the mortar to establish a moisture gradient. ( which will in turn indicate the source). The brickwork and standard of pointing is definitely not the best.

No unfortunately not its blocked off by a wall it seems on the bedroom by an alcove.

The stain wasnt there about a month or so ago, damp meter is also showing slight damp on the internal wall where the stain is on the outdoor brick?

The only thing that has occured since I've moved in was a large downpour (no obvious sign of water running down wall) and it seems too uniform to be simply water running down a wall its like its in a very straight line?

I've also had the heating on and turned on the mains water supply
Are you a heavy drinker?

A very defined area of damp, l think if the source was from rain water it would be less well defined. Could it be from condensation from cold bridging, there appear to be a lot of cavity vents. Think you need to get someone to take moisture readings on the surface and within the thickness of the mortar to establish a moisture gradient. ( which will in turn indicate the source). The brickwork and standard of pointing is definitely not the best.
Difficult one , investigation hole from outside at ceiling height , drill out mortar and have a look , the stain is a insulation batt width , if the heatings just gone on it wouldn't have been so noticeable before

Thanks in advance
Its far more serious than a water stain, your house is haunted !

Difficult one , investigation hole from outside at ceiling height , drill out mortar and have a look , the stain is a insulation batt width , if the heatings just gone on it wouldn't have been so noticeable before

Thanks for your responses, who would be the best person to look at it further, would a builder be able to diagnose or would I be best off getting a surveyor to do it?

If it is bridged then how difficult would it be to solve, can it run into the thousands or can it be fixed pretty easily? Just my luck purchasing a "new build" for this to suddenly show.

You could use a 100mm raker bit that fits an angle grinder to remove mortar of brick....

Example

Reactions: JML
Thanks for your responses, who would be the best person to look at it further, would a builder be able to diagnose or would I be best off getting a surveyor to do it?

If it is bridged then how difficult would it be to solve, can it run into the thousands or can it be fixed pretty easily? Just my luck purchasing a "new build" for this to suddenly show.
A man of the cloth .

You could use a 100mm raker bit that fits an angle grinder to remove mortar of brick....

Example
how does it work on a grinder?

Defo’ think sparky in fitting the outside socked box has displaced cavity/wall insulation causing cold bridging- condensation. I would remove a brick or two at top and bottom of damp patch and try and reinstate insulation, ( if that is in fact the problem).

It is clear to me that a local giant has a little piddle every time he is the area looking out for naughty children to steal.