Uni-finish

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was spoke about on here not long ago, but think it wasn't widely available, not seen any one review it tho?

So what is in this wonder plaster so you dont need pva some how I thinks it is not for the re skim works old walls have a lot of suction no matter what.

still need to wet most reskim walls anyway so it wont save time and will only save a bout £3 a room on pav but i bet the shite cost more than a £1 extra

I think they're trialing ingredients for it now in multi. Fekkin shite like spreading rubber.

Wasn't this the stuff that a few on here trialed? Didn't they say you sanded it down after?

There's no spec on BG site yet.

Thistle Uni-Finish

Why do you wet a wall before you reskim it? If it does work it will save plenty of time but i think i would wait to see what everyone else thinks before trying it.

I've mixed finish with pva before and that was like spreading rubber, tearing like fk and a total nightmare to work with. I wonder if they're trying something similar?

It would be good if you could just spread it straight on artex and over skims save a lot of messing about have no idea how it could do that thou lol

flynny on most reskims if you dont use pva or something of your choice it would be too dry so if you use 'Uni' then im pretty sure youd need to dampen the wall
(not saying thats what PVA is for)

if it was anygoodid proberly only try it on painted surfaces to save waiting for pva/bonding agent but then youll have no key, so fook know show this is goin to go

Sounds like a nice product if its true, we have been using dura finish the last week which is nice to use the last spreads that were using it were moaning like **** about it but its lovely gear to use.

Hi to all as new to the site.
im a little excited by this product as I have been using Betakontakt for ten years so hoping to cut that bit out. Hope it's not like the durafinish which I found a bit like tile adhesive. Also £11 a bag didn't help. Spoke to a British gypsum technical person who said its out in October but no word on pricing.

Jim

Hi jim , You ain't new! You joined long before me!!There's a surprise eh, bg can't give a price, but can tell you when it's coming out:RpS_angry:

well whats point paying more than about 10p for it when if you pva a wall it will only cost about 10p
warrior didnt you say that youv used this ?

Yep. It aint gonna serve any purpose whatsoever if they play the £10 a bag card. Might as well stick with multi.

The stuff a few trialled on here was supposed to be the stuff you didn't need pva for...ie. uni finish, but those who tried it said you didn't need to finish it....you just came back the next day and gave it a light sanding.

...or was that just a pi55 take? :)

Last edited:
I can't really work out what they've added to it, unless it's some kind of polymer or maybe a stabilising chemical. But even so, how would that be immediately effective?

I guess it'll only really work well on reskims of existing gypsum in some way. Can't see it working on different surfaces with different suction.

PVA also serves to kill the dust quite often, doesn't matter whats in this new stuff it wont work on a dusty surface.

Hope it's good for killing suction though. Maybe first coat with Uni and top off with board. This is what we do but with multi for the first coat on high suction.

If the house builders give the nod then multi and board will be a thing of the past

I've not worked for any builder whether it's a single house or a site of a thousand houses that insists on a particular type of BG finish plaster, some will insist on it being BG but not which one.

Isnt that what they said about floating when drylining came out

But to be fair Steve how many sites of more than five units are specified for float & set nowadays? Not many, or to put it another way not enough for my liking.

I've not worked for any builder whether it's a single house or a site of a thousand houses that insists on a particular type of BG finish plaster, some will insist on it being BG but not which one.

If multi was a pound or so more expensive than board I bet you would have.

Its all going to be down to price I reckon. Not many builders will pay extra in mats to make our job easier.

If multi was a pound or so more expensive than board I bet you would have.

Its all going to be down to price I reckon. Not many builders will pay extra in mats to make our job easier.

How many new build sites do you get labour only? Even most one offs I do for builders are supply and fix, thank God, so the builders don't care whether I use Board Finish, Multi or Spray Finish. Just as long as the price is right.

How many new build sites do you get labour only? Even most one offs I do for builders are supply and fix, thank God, so the builders don't care whether I use Board Finish, Multi or Spray Finish. Just as long as the price is right.

Is that appart from the job your on at the minute ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.