Trowel vs

Members online

buy them all and see which you use the most and then sell the rest for a bit of a profit (most likely)

I like nela for rendering and my refina premium for skimming. 10-15 years ago the only trowels worth getting were mt or tyzack but a lot of people think they aren't quite as good anymore.

Probably still marshalltown, xtralite, last few mts have been xtralite anyway and they been spot on. In process of breaking in a nel, jury still out,but seem decent so far, rigid though.

Blue spot trowels give you a perfect finish on scraping concrete floors not bad on wooden floors either they rip the nails clean out:llorando:

I put on with MT but its an old style one on boardwork I have a lovely 16 that is just perfect for lumping those big areas on :D

If |I ever do more than 2 days in a row I will try a Nela for laying on :D

I put on with MT but its an old style one on boardwork I have a lovely 16 that is just perfect for lumping those big areas on :D

If |I ever do more than 2 days in a row I will try a Nela for laying on :D
What's the old style one?

Mt are good. But not to sure of the new one's tbh. Have the nela for rendering the one all the s skimmers didn't like as it's hard to brake in lol. It's the best rendering trowel iv used.

O right so like a old carbon? Since I been spreading it's been permashap ss. Seen the older generations use a wood Handel.
I'm just guessing, but it's only recently that there has been so much choice when it comes to trowels, when I first started everyone had either a 13 or 14 inch trowel not much choice in larger sizes or different styles. Virtually everyone went for a stainless mt and if you really wanted to look flash there was a tyzack with a mahogany style handle that had a double fixing on the handle

Oh they were good.....took a while to get broken in, but then......sublime.....you could work 'em and work 'em, they would slowly slowly change shape as you worked 'em........but you always had to have another on the go, coz the rivets would pop all of a sudden.

Maybe one day the double shank thing will become popular again, what was that trowel like?

The Bentley mate.

Marshalltowns are nice when broken in. As are nela and some modern tyzacks.

But them..
So comfortable and light they actually feel like an extension of your arm. Someone should replicate them again, using decent steel like they used to.

If I was to rate trowels I'd go:

Paul Curry = Nela > Marshaltown. I haven't used tyzacks or even Ox or Refina. (To be honest didn't even know they existed till a couple months ago. Not many suppliers of quality trowels in the states)

If I was to rate trowels I'd go:

Paul Curry = Nela > Marshaltown. I haven't used tyzacks or even Ox or Refina. (To be honest didn't even know they existed till a couple months ago. Not many suppliers of quality trowels in the states)
What makes the Paul curry trowel the best one?

As with any of these trowels it's all about personal preference and what you get used to I suppose, but for me the durability and the spring of the steel makes it an exceptional tool. It's not quite as stiff as a stainless Nela. Holds a great shape and is easily adjustable with a few touches with a margin trowel after a lot of abuse. You do have to file the edges and I always set my blade where I like it. Those "permashape" trowels don't live up to the hype imo.

(of course I'm using a Nela that I haven't changed the set on as my daily driver at the moment but we'll see how long that lasts.)

As with any of these trowels it's all about personal preference and what you get used to I suppose, but for me the durability and the spring of the steel makes it an exceptional tool. It's not quite as stiff as a stainless Nela. Holds a great shape and is easily adjustable with a few touches with a margin trowel after a lot of abuse. You do have to file the edges and I always set my blade where I like it. Those "permashape" trowels don't live up to the hype imo.

(of course I'm using a Nela that I haven't changed the set on as my daily driver at the moment but we'll see how long that lasts.)

glad to see nela in the states :D

Ever tried any of the kraft tools? I'm using a 14x14 magnesium hawk/handboard, been good keeps its shape well. Only use it for skimming though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk