TO SPONGE OR NOT TO SPONGE

Members online

been plastering 32 years and never used a sponge but this last week been trying different methods
2 coats splat it flat then sponge and then 2 trowels seems to go so much nicer and quicker and the finish seems better to

why not
1st coat
sponge
2nd coat
trowel
spat
sponge
trowel
spat
trowel
spat
sprowel
tronge
spaowl
good luck (y)

Do sets take longer when you sponge (genuine question ) just wondered if bringing back that way extends the set time

I have seen a spread using a sponge, and to the untrained eye I couldn't see any difference in the finished product between sponged and not.

Do sets take longer when you sponge (genuine question ) just wondered if bringing back that way extends the set time

Doesn't make any difference as far as I can tell. If anything I get done faster as it smooths off perfect first time.
Great for HS&L if a patch gets away from you. It can bring it back from the dead.

I have never seen anybody finish with a sponge to a good standard. I have seen a number of people do it and each time it has been terrible

Not saying it cant be done but I have just not seen it

I don't doubt what you've seen; but sponge or not the finishing is the same either way so a s**t finish isn't really down to the sponge, it's the person on the end of the hand on the end of the trowel.

I just think sponge speeds things up a bit and makes life easier but all that matters is a happy client and pennies in pocket.

Not for me then hard enough two coating with current gear

Try it for yourself Lodan before you discard the idea, always handy to have a few strings to your bow. We’d all be laying on with a wooden float still if we didn’t try different techniques and tools, and poor old Nela and Refina would be out of business then what would people fill their vans up with tools they don’t use lol.........

I do it, but only where the gear is too deep for whatever reason, doesn’t slide around under the trowel when trowelling.
Exact opposite of one coating

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Man used to work with us swears by sponge, claims it can take a half an hour off a set, I'm not sure about that myself, but it can cut out a trowel. Flatten in, sponge, trowel off, usually then ready to finish. 2 coating that is

why not
1st coat
sponge
2nd coat
trowel
spat
sponge
trowel
spat
trowel
spat
sprowel
tronge
spaowl
good luck (y)
I prefer
1st coat nella
Flatten nella 13 inch
2nd coat nella
Flatten nella carbon
Tidy corners nella 13 inch carbon
Polish cross done nella 13inch carbon lol

been plastering 32 years and never used a sponge but this last week been trying different methods
2 coats splat it flat then sponge and then 2 trowels seems to go so much nicer and quicker and the finish seems better to
used the sponge float for years with the way bg is going I think every plasterer needs one in the back of their van 10 pound from wickes and gets you out of the s**t

Tried all these new trowel just cost me time . Though medi pulled me out s**t other day on most un even ceiling ever . Lines which ever way I went so hammered it at end with medi. Told decorator he might need sanding pole lol
John,, ,you are honest with your posts,, which is a good thing,, not afraid to stick your neck out.

I.m not best plasterer mate just know I.m far from f**k**g worse. I do think you always learn summet new and there' always summet that catches you out no matter how long you been doing it
Good plasterer make mistakes,, ,and s**t happens that can't be explained it takes balls to tell this forum that. Too many don't, ,,I have worked with some of the best guys in this industry and at times they had issues with this game.

Good plasterer make mistakes,, ,and s**t happens that can't be explained it takes balls to tell this forum that. Too many don't, ,,I have worked with some of the best guys in this industry and at times they had issues with this game.

Every day is a school day. Your a wiser person from the books you read and the people you talk to....... shame I didn’t learn to read..lol. And being closer to 60 than 50 nowI’m still learning.

Every day is a school day. Your a wiser person from the books you read and the people you talk to....... shame I didn’t learn to read..lol. And being closer to 60 than 50 nowI’m still learning.
Its the over 50,s and 60s guys on this forum that have the knowledge and expierence to let the next generation know the things we have seen,instead off some off the arses that think they know it all because they think it is not possible.you know exactly what i mean badger.

Not saying it cant be done but I have just not seen it

IMG-20170209-WA0011.jpeg

1 coat and sponge. Don't always use the sponge tho. Depends on the skim if I use it or not the. But one coat 95% of the time.