Tiling

Members online

Y would you bed the tile.. if the wall was nice flat. I'd put adhesive straight on wall and scratch it!!
Laying on the tile prevents making a mess and prevents adhesive coming out through the gaps getting in the way of grout. Yeah you could clean it out of the gaps but why not lay on a way that prevents it in the first place? I took that from a pro and worked for me, take it or leave it.

Laying on the tile prevents making a mess and prevents adhesive coming out through the gaps getting in the way of grout. Yeah you could clean it out of the gaps but why not lay on a way that prevents it in the first place? I took that from a pro and worked for me, take it or leave it.
But if you comb the wall with the the right notched trowel nothing will come out the joints but like you say wall has to be dead flat

I like abit of tiling now and again like @carys said its all in the prep and setting out take your time with the setting out and measurements and the tiling is piss to do

If you lay adhesive on the wall you have adhesive in the gaps which compromises grout strength because every 8mm it is thin thick thin thick. View it like re pointing with properly raked out joints
9D6DEE4D-B7A0-4C0B-8065-B61B5BC12E8E.jpeg

From a money making point of view it works, they’ll supply adhesive and grout. Butter the tile, and leave a tight joint. If it was your own gaff, spread the wall and tight spread on the back. 2mm spacers and really force the grout in. Grout first thing to break down and when it does you don’t want voids around all your tiles. Bottom tiles will start popping.

Back butter large format tiles say 600mm or heavy tiles for floors and walls. Rest of the time notch the wall only

Piece of cake
Put adhesive on the tile not the wall
Use carpet tacks for spacers not the shop bought spacers as tiles are not perfect. Tack is wedge shaped and infinitely adjustable
If tiles not perfect go by eye or laser on floor use spacers made from cardboard from the tile box for walls as these can be made to suit different width requirements

If tiles not perfect go by eye or laser on floor use spacers made from cardboard from the tile box for walls as these can be made to suit different width requirements

had to go by eye on last job or get some little tile wedges.

large format usually need back buttering as well. I’ll put adhesive on back sometimes, especially when there’s lots of cuts to do as you’re going up the wall.
Most tiles should be back buttered, that's what the grooves are for.