Tilers wages!!!

@Lodan That says more about you than the college though. He's most likely done it because he didnt know what else to do. you've gone to goldtrowel because you wanted a change. Good on you. A spread i do alot of work with is a goldtrowel man. I have no problem with someone wanting a change in career as long as they price jobs properly and leave a good finish. He makes good money too. Thats all well and good but i dont care what anyone says theyre in it for the money

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

That says more about you than the college though. He's most likely done it because he didnt know what else to do. you've gone to goldtrowel because you wanted a change. Good on you. A spread i do alot of work with is a goldtrowel man. I have no problem with someone wanting a change in career as long as they price jobs properly and leave a good finish. He makes good money too. Thats all well and good but i dont care what anyone says theyre in it for the money

I still disagree on goldtrowel but thats fine I always knew its hard to take for most blokes as they did 4year apprenticeships etc...and I respect that opinion...but on the colleges its so sad that theyre not teaching them right....i told the lad something he was doing wrong the other day and he looked like he was going to cry, said he was so frustrated cos hes was desperate to be good but most of the things I say hes never heard before......i showed him how to form a corner with bonding and he said he wouldnt have even thought it was possiblele....but they told him he's qualified. No wonder courses sprin up when the nationwl education system is letting usndown so poorly.

@Lodan That says more about you than the college though. He's most likely done it because he didnt know what else to do. you've gone to goldtrowel because you wanted a change. Good on you. A spread i do alot of work with is a goldtrowel man. I have no problem with someone wanting a change in career as long as they price jobs properly and leave a good finish. He makes good money too. Thats all well and good but i dont care what anyone says theyre in it for the money

And cheers for the message and I agree its is all about how much you want it, I was made redundant so had to get good or I was f**k*d

I know a lot of people knocking GT but in reality 90% never makes it into the trade, and out of that 10% leftovers will be very little amount of people who will carry on as a spread.
I went onto a course a few weeks ago in Birmingham, there was 13-14 of us @ 360 a pop, learning about resin floors, there was no possibility to play with the gear by yourself on a sample board what you can take home with you after the course. I paid for the privilege to be able to purchase the product from the main uk dealer and to see the product on a hardi backer board applied by one of the head geezer, with very little advice regarding backgrounds and whatnot. Now there was a Glaswegian plasterer, he's now set up as a training centre offering the same course and the same mats for sale, just after 2 weeks of attending the"course", and now he's looking for installers nationwide. He's done 2 floors for himself prior to the course so he had some more understanding of the product.
The original course churns out one course a month, wonder how many courses will be held in Glasgow. Everyone in it to make money one way or another.
Most training centres intention is to cash in on the government funds as retraining is massive in this country, providers fishing for ex military people as they bring the funds too. They not bothered flooding the market with trades, they know it all well that only a small amount will be successful.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
What product was it?

What product was it?
Seamless resin floor system, company called elite Crete they also do microcement
2f0cbc736094db19d7d363f79c75b68f.jpg
b35255a39db0a9e3ab0d49713179d667.jpg

I disagree....i got a labourer who has come out of the college system doing it for two years who knows a quater of what goldtrowel gave me in 6 weeks, the college system is an embarrassing joke, atleast goldtrowel try and show you how it will be in real life....theyd not taught him what pva did just told him to always put two coats on....and hes not a mong a good hard working young lad...he'd never used bomding or hardwall said they only did beading a few times, taught them to cut scrim with a stanley knife, never worked around a plug socket or got an edge on a skirting board, never heard of a wet angle, no coving, no floor screeding...........i'll take my course to that any day
You hit the nail on the head it's not gold trowel, it's the colleges which are the problem. Yes they are in it for the money we all are and what's been said around 10% might make a living at it. I've made my opinion on short courses well known on here and also colleges but gold trowel was impressive and reminded me of college but condensed. It did give people hope they could set up but why not give people the confidence to set up but with the very harsh warning it takes a lot of f**k**g work :) there is no where to go to learn and a lot of plasterers are not prepared to train their competition. I think the colleges are worse for not teaching the craft and giving quals out willy nilly. You would have to be an idiot to come out of any short course and think you will be a success on the Monday so that's not the courses fault that's dickheads who think they have found a get rich scheme they honestly don't worry me.

An update on this, got recommend a tiler who came round and quoted £20 per m2. They guy who recommended him passes us a lot of work and he does his tiling so getting to see his work in a job next week.

£22 ish a metre in Liverpool for ceramics..more for pocerlain. ..throw in the adhesive at that price and still do ok..

An update on this, got recommend a tiler who came round and quoted £20 per m2. They guy who recommended him passes us a lot of work and he does his tiling so getting to see his work in a job next week.
Coffee and sausage cobs might get it down to £18 maybe.

Why would you ever do that and not use your trowel though was the point, they never mentioned its easier to do it that way, he thought it was a new invention when I said do it that way. Suppose its not wrong just seems an awkward way to do it

Main problem for me is I think ive got a stealth stanley knife, every time I put it down it takes me about 15 mins to find it again

Reactions: Pug
Well heres why to use a Stanley knife!

A) your boarding a ceiling in your tool belt you've your cordless, screws, roll of scrim, tape measure and Stanley knife.

As you come away from the board you've just put up you scrim as you go its being efficient.

B) Same again when dotting and studwork.

C) Same when sticking beads if you like to overlap with scrim as i do. But obviously snips and hammer in tool belt aposed to dril and screws etc.

Far more efficient way of working than having to go around and scrim everything after!

A) your boarding a ceiling in your tool belt you've your cordless, screws, roll of scrim, tape measure and Stanley knife.

As you come away from the board you've just put up you scrim as you go is being efficient.

C) Same when sticking beads if you like to overlap with scrim as i do. But obviously snips and hammer in tool belt aposed to dril and screws etc.

Far more efficient way of working than having to go around and scrim everything after!
Must be me wrong then...i just scrim everything after...i know youve got a bit of a hard on for me at the minute zombie and I like you so cant be arsed to argue with you.??? i saw your post before it all got deleted on the other thread about my attitude and the reason ive been maybe a bit too big headed is cos I joined in october and had 9 months of everyone telling me id fail and it felt nice to be doing ok...i take on board what you said and am going to wind my neck in a bit but its tough when everyone is against your plan and every time you argue back the only response is....f**k**g courser...or two bit skimmer

Must be me wrong then...i just scrim everything after...i know youve got a bit of a hard on for me at the minute zombie and I like you so cant be arsed to argue with you.??? i saw your post before it all got deleted on the other thread about my attitude and the reason ive been maybe a bit too big headed is cos I joined in october and had 9 months of everyone telling me id fail and it felt nice to be doing ok...i take on board what you said and am going to wind my neck in a bit but its tough when everyone is against your plan and every time you argue back the only response is....f**k**g courser...or two bit skimmer
f**k**g courser!!

As you come away from the board you've just put up you scrim as you go its being efficient.

So you scrim every board individually instead of putting one continuous scrim all the way? I might misunderstood something

So you scrim every board individually instead of putting one continuous scrim all the way? I might misunderstood something

Whilst I'm already on a hop up I scrim as I go yeah be it the internals or but end or length of boards etc...basically what evers available.

Way I see it I'm already there so 1 less job to do at the end!

No benefit to it being 1 long length of scrim I also stick a staple in as I go depending on how long before going to be swimming or stickyness of the tape!

Whilst I'm already on a hop up I scrim as I go yeah be it the internals or but end or length of boards etc...basically what evers available.

Way I see it I'm already there so 1 less job to do at the end!

No benefit to it being 1 long length of scrim I also stick a staple in as I go depending on how long before going to be swimming or stickyness of the tape!
Gotcha, makes sense