thinking of trying the plastering career...

Members online

No members online now.
Status
Not open for further replies.

will_doyle

... but dont know where to start

Abit about myself

I am 19 years old and live in Devon

I am currently at college studying Media studies and Travel and Tourism, bother together they are worth 3 A Levels.

I have 2 part time jobs, 1 is at a holiday park working in Burger King, quite enjoy it as it can be a laugh and it is rather easy.

My other job is working at a primary school looking after the kids at the After School Club. I enjoy this job.

My interests are Photography, Cars (cars that are modified in a smart way) and cleaning cars.

I want to take a year out, go travelling, then I might have a better idea of what I want to do.

But then I was thinking of learning a trade, like plastering I havn't really done it before, but watched my dad do it.

What you guys think?

Where is best place to start?

Hi Will,

I'd say either find someone that would take you on as a labourer and learn it "on the job" as it were. Or find a college in your area that does plastering.

Cleaning cars a hobby? I use snowfoam here as a prewash and two bucket method for the wash itself ;D
Got any decent stuff like a Porter cable? Really want one of those and then do some detailing ;)

follow the Dodo , get into Detailing and photography, oh if i had my time again ::)
Get some juice fool . ;D

Become a primary school teacher if you really enjoy working with kids mate. More money and less tress, well the first bits right! But if you want to give the trades a go then do a few weeks, months labouring for each trade. That way you can see whats involved without committing to a full time course.

Ur 19 got ur whole life ahead of you,dont waste your time learning plastering son.
Its a dying trade.Everyone can skim,and with dry lining tape jointing becoming more popular i wouldnt want my son to take this path,youll only ever earn a living and not a great one at that.
Try electrics,plumbing or ideally both,ul never be out of work then!!

skimmin2day said:
Ur 19 got ur whole life ahead of you,dont waste your time learning plastering son.
Its a dying trade.Everyone can skim,and with dry lining tape jointing becoming more popular i wouldnt want my son to take this path,youll only ever earn a living and not a great one at that.

im affraid i agree. i'm only 23 and i'm starting to get bored of the job now. to many people around who claim to be plasterers. if i was 19 again i'd definately go into plumbing or electrics. something where you have to be qualified to do the job. that way not every 'jack of all trades' can do it.

Plastering is a good job to learn and if you learn it proper you will always find work if i was 16 again i would train as a plasterer its looked after me and the skills are in your hands, you can take them anywhere. To be honest sparks and plumbers are ten a penny also and a lot of people will do their own electrics and plumbing, something you CAN learn from a book. Most big sites the bathroom turns up complete and the only plumber on site will plug it in and with speed fits its so simple, fair enough gas and boilers is a bit more complicated but there are also 5 day plumbing courses to teach you that. Plastering will give you more satisfaction than say plumbing or electrics in my opinion but learn all disciplins of plastering and get yourself fully qualified and to be honest steve youve only been in the game 5 minutes.

thats my point flynny, i've only been in it five minutes and i'm bored of it already. it might just be the fact that theres not much work about here at the minute and im working with an old lazy moaning b*****d all day.

I really enjoy what I do to be fair, you got to take the rough with the smooth, you get times when it's crap and boring but you get that in any job. Plumbers are 2 a penny pick up the yellow pages. Plastering is a real skill and once you are good at it you will be in demand, I also get a great deal of job satisfaction with the end result! Working for yourself is also a good deal, no real boss to get you down!! Also the money ain't that bad!8)

steve cov said:
thats my point flynny, i've only been in it five minutes and i'm bored of it already. it might just be the fact that theres not much work about here at the minute and im working with an old lazy moaning (french person) all day.

well f**k him off instead of your career, if your not confident on your own get with someone else i would of said kirt but he has disapeared off the planet :)

steve cov said:
skimmin2day said:

im affraid i agree. i'm only 23 and i'm starting to get bored of the job now. to many people around who claim to be plasterers. if i was 19 again i'd definately go into plumbing or electrics. something where you have to be qualified to do the job. that way not every 'jack of all trades' can do it.
steve your going on like your a veteran

flat boy skim said:
steve cov said:
skimmin2day said:

steve your going on like your a veteran

im not mate and i dont claim to be. like i said to flynny i think i've just had enough of the bloke i work with and the fact there is pretty much no work around cov at the minute.

will_doyle said:

Abit about myself

I am currently at college studying Media studies and Travel and Tourism, bother together they are worth 3 A Levels.

I have 2 part time jobs, 1 is at a holiday park working in Burger King, quite enjoy it as it can be a laugh and it is rather easy.

My other job is working at a primary school looking after the kids at the After School Club. I enjoy this job.

My interests are Photography, Cars (cars that are modified in a smart way) and cleaning cars.

I want to take a year out, go travelling, then I might have a better idea of what I want to do.

But then I was thinking of learning a trade, like plastering I havn't really done it before, but watched my dad do it.

What you guys think?

don't do it. i can't wait to get out of it.

no money in it any more :mad:

m33spread said:
will_doyle said:

Abit about myself

What you guys think?

don't do it. i can't wait to get out of it.

no money in it any more :mad:

What are you waiting for?

Im working on site and earning £600-£700 take home a week. Plus the private jobs at the weekend. If its something you really want to do go for it. ::) Its what you make of it nothing wrong with given it a go. If you find you dont like it your young enough to do something else.

will_doyle said:

Abit about myself

What you guys think? TR Y IT OUT ASK UR OLD MAN TO GIVE A COUPLE OF WEEKS LABOURING IF U DONT LIKE THAT U WONT LIKE PLASTERING

Im not trying to put you off plastering mate,its a rewarding and satisfying job.But the days of earning big bucks have sadly gone.You can earn a avereage wage same as say taxi driver,office worker etc.
People for some strange reason think they can be in the game 5 minutes and earn £1000 a week . Sadly this is not true!!!!
Some weeks you can earn big,but some weeks you can earn nothing so a thousand for 1 week and 2 weeks with nothing is £333 a week averaged over 3 weeks.
To be capable of earning the good money youl have to have knowledge of all plastering disicplines and be fast with quality work.Youl be 25 before your upto speed and have nearly enough knowledge.

Will
hi m8 just finishing 22 years in the Army and starting out in the big bad world of plastering, as a newbie my advise to you is go for it but dont bite of more than you can chew. it gives you real pride to see what you have done.
good look mate
martin :D

skimmin2day said:

thats like saying roofing is a dying trade

people always want plasterers

will_doyle said:
skimmin2day said:

thats like saying roofing is a dying trade

people always want plasterers

yes they do. but with things like tape and jointing (no offence tony), courses (no offence boys, i know people can do well of these courses but most dont) and foreign cowboys (no offence irish ;D) the trade is flooded with so called tradesmen and alot of the work is being done before hand, i can't count the amount of jobs we go on now and the 'builder' has dot and dabbed the whole job already to save money so all we do is skim them. it takes alot of profit out of jobs.

As said by the lads a few times on the forum mate, go work as a labourer for a spread and start at the bottom and learn from him for about £40 a day. Remember that as an apprentice you only get £95 a week and you have to go to collage once a week.

will_doyle said:
what would you guys suggest I do then?

Apprenticeship? How do you get one?
print a load of covering letters with your CV on etc get a load of stamps and send them to every plasterer you can in a 10 mile radius, bit more personal than a phone call, there more likely to read a letter than take a phone call, i dont know how far your prepared to travel worth a shot though

aswell as the letters ring local firms and tell them you dont mind being paid cash, i get loads of letters etc from young lads but it puts me off cause they would probably expect to be employed etc and tbh 90% of spreads out there wont know how to do it you just need to get youre foot through the door then aslong as youre both happy apply to be self employed get youre cis number keep working alongside the bloke as a labourer and invoice for youre money .......sounds scary but its a piece of pee, youll also need a temporary cscs card 17 quid i think for a year .......then the hard bit you need to be patient for a few years and learn the trade, be polite and show other spreads youre hard working you never know you might be working for them for whatever reason one day

work hard concentrate and theres know reason you cant do it mate

Thanks

I have a c.v

But I don't know what I will attach to it to say I want an apprenticeship, my English isnt that good.

Any advice?

or sites that could help, or templates?

Status
Not open for further replies.