Theory

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foxcroft

Hi, alright guys. I'm fairly new to Plastering, I'm doin an adult City & Guilds course. I'm picking up the skills really well, but the problem I have is that the tutors dont explain the theory behind whats happening, they just tell us what to do next.

My main brain puzzler is the whole suction thing as they mentioned these words without properly explaining it. I rendered up a wall, they told me to PVA it(and showed me how) and then to skim it, but never actually explained WHY I had to PVA it, what it is trying to achieve and when to use PVA and when not to use it.( i know its to help the plaster stick to the wall but thats it)

Thanks for any help guys

When you put a skim straight onto a wall, the wall will suck out the moisture of the plaster, leaving a dry 'mud' which will fall off the wall.
When you apply PVA it slows down this suction of moisture so that the plaster stays 'damp' enough to cure and set properly. The plaster holds onto the glue as well as the wall, giving a better grip.

Applying PVA should be done untill the wall stops 'sucking' the glue in. If its a really dry wall, you want a watery mix of PVA applied, then a thicker mix of PVA untill the glue sits on the wall without dissapearing or drying to quick. The glue should be sticky or tacky before you get your plaster on.
If you get your plaster on the wall without applying enough PVA then it will start to set really quickly, leaving you to run around like a nutcase.

Basically, the PVA slows down the suction and helps the plaster stick, and stay stuck :D

And i think that the guys not taking the time to explain it to you is out of order. Thats their job!

as thomas basically said its to control the suction of the background and give the plaster a bondind, but not all situations require pva it all depends on the backgroung you are applying it to and how strong the suction is. understanding the background is one of the most important things in plastering. if you have a look at the tips and tricks topic in there is a post on backgrounds.

as for the instructors i would keep asking them as many questions as you can. if you dont undersatand anything then ask there is no such thing as a silly question. you want to gain as much knowledge as you can from this course they cost a lot of money ;)

Thanks for the help guys. Much appreciated, I understand it now.

The course is a joke, proplem being there are too many people enrolled on it, so tutors swampt all the time.

And i think that the guys not taking the time to explain it to you is out of order. Thats their job!

Totally agree. Assessing and controlling backgrounds is essential and for that you need to know how and what's available to do it. Be it PVA, Bonding agent or even just water!

As a lecturer myself I am appalled by your comments, if you need any help get in touch and I will send you some info.

Yeah, The college I'm at is supposed to be better than our local college, I'm not convinced though. It is pretty much a shambles!

By using the term “betterâ€￾, college’s and training centre’s leave themselves open for criticism to say the least. What is better? Is it better that I will train you to plaster a perfectly flat wall using hardwall for example. Not really if all your going to do is skim on new builds for example.

The main thing that these organisations/businesses should do is explain the full content of the course and what the student/trainee will get out of it, for example a qualification that will get them on site or a certificate of attendance.

Perhaps something that someone who is just starting out will have little or no experience of and therefore should obtain a written outline of what they can expect from the course.

Maybe this is something that when people seek advice on courses on here we should check which direction they hope the career in plastering is going. Being able to do a bit for yourself is completely different to working on a site or in the domestic market and with the number of members on here surely we can offer suitable advice to suit the individual.

By better, I mean there are allegedly more facilities in the one I am at, but there are approx 20 students per teacher, and not enough walls, its happened twice were Ive rendered a wall one week, come to it the next to find someone else has already skimmed it :mad: All of us students are at slightly different stages, the tutor doesn't demonstrate anything, explain it and send us on our way to do it, when we get to the next stage, we have to go round looking for him, and que up for his attention.

Christ, I would complain and ask for money back!!

When I did the goldtrowel course myself and craig were miles ahead of everybiody else and we were treated different we had more to put on and we were marked stricter and were taught different due to the fact we new already.... still learnt an unbeleivable amount and owe them big time.

there were 4 students per tutor and we never waited long for help.

Danny

PS can you PM me who you went with for the training?

Hi Dp,
Hope that you've looked after Dave over Xmas :D and you've had a good one yourself mate. All the best for the New Year to you and yours.

Got to say Foxcroft that the space issue is a massive problem, we have 16 bays or 16 rooms if you like, each as 3 walls and a lid, but it still happens I'm afraid. The student numbers of 20:1 is crazy to say the least and its no wonder you have to wait for the tutor. Mind you they should demonstrate things to you but then again if they've got 20 students at different stages its damn nigh on impossible. Perhaps you should have a chat with your tutor, I'm sure he would like his numbers reduced, and perhaps make a formal complaint.

Danny,
Not done much assessing yet, starting in September with my arm up my back by the way. I mostly teach the FCA & ICA awards but if you need any help let me know.

LOL Cheers Gary,

Are you from luton then? How do you know DP? man this is like Guess Who...lol

Merry Christmas

Danny

No not from Luton mate, honest!!!! From up here in sunny Chesterfield but I work in Sth Yorkshire. Myself and Dp had a sureal encounter 1 night on a flash chat, by the way as he told you about Dave yet?

Yes I did! as I remember I was on stilts and you were making like an ape on your soakaways! And you were still quicker than me!!

Dave is special. The conversation, gary, as I remember, started with a description of me catching my girlfriend blowing percy and me sending you a picture!

Am I right?
;)

Danny you dont know what intrigued is till you see the piccy of Percy being blown, ask for a sample because its well worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.