Texture Coat Inside Pricing Guestimates

Members online

H-Block

Gidday,

Im pricing up a job at the moment to do a 'Spanish' look inside. The exterior is an undulating reasonably smooth finish with a few licks but nothing aggressive, whats commonly reffered to here as Adobe or Spanish, though at its peak mid 70's there were many variations of arcs and knife finishes.

Anyway.. Inside the designer has forwarded pictures which are attached here (the first three)

I did a lot of research and decided to do some skip trowel variations, brocades, 'old world' cat face or Montavlo style. I've spent a solid day at least doing boards some over and over to make sure I had a consistent technique.

I did a consult with the Husband of the couple who own the place and he took a few boards home to show the wife and forwarded photos to the designer etc. Based on that meeting I did a second series of boards honing in on the points relevant from the feedback I got, then had a site meeting today with a measure up.

As I'm leaving in walks the competition from another town (who the owner said was pretty useless communication wise and a bit unorganised). He looked the part with a clipboard, monagrammed shirt and sign written Hilux, so I googled him. He does exterior only (big division here between inside and out) so I'm picking he uses portland cement based mixes, where as (on the primer coated walls they have) I'm looking at a hardwall basecoat and then adding sand to some lime based topping compound and maybe a neat coat to soften a few areas.. His finish samples on his website were out of the box bog standard stuff.

So... I've done my homework have alright skills a good system, rapport with the owner and a honest price I'm happy and confident with my quote and if I'm undercut so be it - BUT - it did get me wondering what the normal fashion for texture pricing is with you guys who have a strong tradition in your craft.

Example here outside guys going over aerated block or whatever other cladding are starting at $70+GST(VAT) p/SqMtr for a sponge or float finish.

inside using drywall compounds as the standard for a reskim you're looking at $20-25+GST p/SqMtr depending on the state of the board, with an end result maybe 1 1/2 to 3mm thick. Usually tape and bead, then basecoat with gypsum, top coat with lime based (modified), maybe an extra coat in the middle of either base or topping. I'm moving to more hardwall products, but either way can do a same day system if need be, or on house lots just a coat a day with ultra fine hand sand, more of a polish...

Anyway... venturing into the realm of being an actual plasterer (as opposed to what is called here a Gib Stopper) I've chatted to various guys around the country and to some extent the states as well. One guy who is close to similar here starts his American Clay application rates at $60+GST for one coat of Enarjje Clay (think its a loam plaster) up to $130ish for a High end polished lime. Doing a trick wall last year in a bar I got talking to the guy putting in the Beer Lines, he's into Hot Rods and reckoned as a rule of thumb custom work is about double standard.. so from here we are looking for an interior plasterer to be charging maybe $50+GST p/SqMtr for a texture job with two to three coat system. What I'm pondering though is would the exterior guy here likely deliver one coat of texture over the primed walls and given that would he look at it as an in and out money maker at say $30+GST p/sqMtr maybe with a boy a bunch of masking and a spray gun for brocade... or two coats by hand at $70+GST p/SqMtr, or look at it as 'Fancy' and put a premium on it?

Incedently I ballparked $45+GST p/SqMtr which I think is fair. I can chop through it without flogging myself and make a good bit of extra out of it.

I did a job a couple of years ago similar work but less flair similar situation against an exterior guy and I figured from a few things I picked up on site that he was looking at around $80 including materials and taxes, so was maybe about $60+GST p/SqMtr on his application rate.

I'm not in a huge hury to jack my rate up to make a killing, I enjoy the work and it's not a huge market so I'm looking at increasing share and keeping it honest unless demand goes off the hook then we'll play Robin Hood.

Whats the ins and outs of these type of scenarios in the UK? I'd appreciate some thoughts, opinions, or annecdotes along these lines.

Always iterested to get an outside perspective and learn a thing or two to try and hit that sweet spot.

Cheers

Attachments

• 54cb09b68a9bc_-_faux-finish-05-0213-de   PLASTER FINISH.jpg
    54cb09b68a9bc_-_faux-finish-05-0213-de PLASTER FINISH.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 272
  • texture1.jpg
    texture1.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 265
  • texture2.jpg
    texture2.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 287
Blimey, H.....that's an essay.
In short, you've got to charge realistically. Locally there will be an average for this work, your client will likely know this and be expecting a similar quote. The trick is to know the average. Myself, I work out my costs plus profit, add labour , add a fixed figure for incidentals divide all by the meterage and check the resultant figure against what my research tells me the average charge is locally.
I tinker with the price until 1. I am sure everything is covered 2. I am confident any tradesman could/would make a living 3. I can justify the quote and sleep at night.
You might find that your competition undercuts you significantly, so what. If you are confident in your pricing then either he is really quick, really cuts corners, or he really needs the work. If you are the significantly cheaper man, you are still ok if you are confident everything is covered, you can raise the price on the next one.
All the best.

Blimey, H.....that's an essay.
In short, you've got to charge realistically. Locally there will be an average for this work, your client will likely know this and be expecting a similar quote. The trick is to know the average. Myself, I work out my costs plus profit, add labour , add a fixed figure for incidentals divide all by the meterage and check the resultant figure against what my research tells me the average charge is locally.
I tinker with the price until 1. I am sure everything is covered 2. I am confident any tradesman could/would make a living 3. I can justify the quote and sleep at night.
You might find that your competition undercuts you significantly, so what. If you are confident in your pricing then either he is really quick, really cuts corners, or he really needs the work. If you are the significantly cheaper man, you are still ok if you are confident everything is covered, you can raise the price on the next one.
All the best.

Dropsalot,

Thanks for that. Yeah I'll be the first to recognise I'm a nerd. Mostly I like to be thorough to make sure I've covered everything (or enough).

Yeah, with the pricing I usually even check each job against myself and known associates three different ways until it feels right. I'm not the gun but I'm quick enough and it's just me so low overheads.

I did a quick price comparison for skimming globaly just before, it seems with taxes, exchange rates, and cost of living adjustments most plasteres are within cooee of each other, with variances showing in places like california where there is a saturation of labour in the market. I think given that I could probably do the triple check for texture work and get a good guage on the bigger picture.

One of those things where I don't want to appear too cheap even if Im doing ok, given its about image and perception to a degree.

My instinct says the other guy is going to price high and only turned up to save face with the builder that referred him. At the moment no one is desperate for work, housing is booming and a week ago we just had the biggest earthquake since 1931, so will probably be importing more Irish.

On the other hand yeah if he is cheap I'm picking its a fast money hustle - but the thing with that is if the client is happy then thats the standard required by the market.

Theres a guy in america does colour coats - tints up topping compound, two coats US$2-3 p/SqrFt wants to be competitive with paint.. I think here that's too cheap, but then its not a thing here really either. So in a way he's correct in his method as it's about looking at costing similar end products.

Anyway, thanks agaain for the reply, sort of answers a couple of unvoiced questions too.

Cheers

Go with your instinct mate. Cover all your costs inc labour profit etc, then add an unspecified amount as pure profit, and submit your quote. Even if you are the same as the high pricer, you have room to discount if you need to. If the competition is going to price it to lose it, you might benefit by being the next best.

Hi,

I thought I'd update on this.

Based on pictures from the designer I did a series of sample boards and ballparked the job at about 12k including labour materials travel and taxes. The other guy was 20k on labour and looking at using a cement based system on sealed plasterboard. I haven't got the job yet.

Clients changed their mind as was getting out of their league budget wise so they chatted abot spray and float down which I told them didnt match the new picture they were showing me... anyway dropped some new boards off on Friday, figured out a more subtle two coat technique for them, then he turns and says hes got his local gib stopper (tape and jointer) having a look at what he can come up with... which is funny because before it was mentioned it was beyond him. Money talks though, right.

So now its more likely I'll be undercut than not. But...

Although the client is not an extreemly likeable person at face value, I think he's probably one of those rough diamond type of clients that is a straight shooter (caught in the jam between the tradesmen and his mrs and their interior designer).

Im gonna put in a dead honest quote, and think I'll be a bit high, but am prepared to finetune the new sample to get it bang on and aim to win the job based on service delivery.

I think I can cut us both a reasonable deal, because my gut says its a good lead and I want the photos more than I need an extra however much dollars... wont be going in at bargin basement prices, Id rather stay home and tidy my shed up.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback so far, it's made good food for thought.

Cheers