Steaming artex

Members online

Got a job coming up next month which I priced today. They have what looks like artex on the walls, is it possible to steam it off? Been told by a couple other spreads you can. Was going to coat it with bonding, but will give the labourer something to do while I over board the ceilings. Cheers

Pointless, all that happens is the paint goes all gummy and if the steam does penetrate through the paint to the artex you end up with an awful mess of gummy paint and mushed up artex. Cleaning it up is horrendous it gets everywhere its no time saver at all.

You can steam anything, I once steamed some carrots n peas.

In this situation tho, bond n skim. No mess. No time wasted.
Cant really board tho because of coving and there a oldish couple on a bit of a budget. just looking at other options

How deep artex . One way we do it is . Scrape first set. But pva very where. Then mix extra skim and use this to put over second set. Then by time firsts finished next bits filled out if ye get me

I’ve got room full of thin artex. Some I’ve scraped because it’s coming away in sheets. Some stuck firm. Some walls normal plaster. This is the job where I prefer pre grit to pva.

Allways same with them jobs. If i have a few weeks work in front of me I won't bother with em
Straight forward enough, just get annoyed by small things like how the old copper boiler should have gone from fireplace, only went yesterday. Plumber couldn’t remove old detached lead pipes . I’ve removed them. Electrician couldn’t be arsed doing proper wiring (I got chisel and notched boards and bit of joist in the end but no give on wires, I give up!)

Its aload of bollox, but yes your right in theroy!
You tell that to the families that have lost one to asbestos Google it artex was full of the s**t 60 70 s and you only need a little bit to cause the damage the abesostos they used in the artex might not kill or might do better be safe than sorry

Got a job coming up next month which I priced today. They have what looks like artex on the walls, is it possible to steam it off? Been told by a couple other spreads you can. Was going to coat it with bonding, but will give the labourer something to do while I over board the ceilings. Cheers
It sounds like you don't have a clue. What happened when you went to price the job and the possible solutions were mentioned?

Anyway just don't do it. I never touch artex jobs these days, or bathrooms, or kitchens, or chases. Easier work out there. Sod that.

You tell that to the families that have lost one to asbestos Google it artex was full of the s**t 60 70 s and you only need a little bit to cause the damage the abesostos they used in the artex might not kill or might do better be safe than sorry
f**k it!! We all got a go one day!

f**k it!! We all got a go one day!
Yes one way or the other but your not going to walk in front of bus tonight are you. What I'm trying to get to is you take precautions if you scrape you wher a mask or you check it out for asbestos but not necessary or you just bond it first without scraping just like crossing the road. But as your not bothered I've got deep artex ceiling to do save me bonding it can you scrape it for me save me two hours

If painted then no it can't be steamed off unless you spend hours/ days at it,and boy what a mess.

So do you send a sample of the artex from all your over skim jobs to be tested for asbestos? I’ve been scraping the shot off for decades when no one knew it was in there so it’s a bit late for that now