Starting Up on Rendering

Status
Not open for further replies.

PlastererNW

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to the forum and a full-time plasterer, normally work on general internal jobs. But recently been asked to do some rendering jobs... New Field! As far as I know am I right in thinking its 4 parts sand, 1 part cement with Waterproofer? Is it then one layer, leave for abit. 2nd Layer, leave for abit. Then float off. Job done.

Ive been asked to do a few small patch up jobs, can somebody advise on the approach one job is about 1mx1m where there dryer extractor used to be. Thanks.

depends on the background mate but as a rule of thumb use a 5 sand 1 cement scratch with water repellant and 6 to 1 second coat leave first coat for a day
however as its only 1m2 i wouldnt bother with the water repellant in the scratch as you will be waiting ages for it to take up ;)

5/1 6/1 mhat no no no its 4/1 scrach coat then a 5/1/1 top coat
5 sand 1 cement 1 lime
or its 4/1 scrach
5/1 top coat
lay on scrach coat EVA the wall first 2/3 coats of EVA then its scrach coat time
with water proofer then devil float it
let it go over night then wet the wall down then top it off let it pick up then rule off filling dips let it go then start to sponge it off job done

carping said:
5 sand 1 cement 1 lime
or its 4/1 scrach
5/1 top coat
lay on scrach coat EVA the wall first 2/3 coats of EVA then its scrach coat time
let it go over night then wet the wall down then top it off let it pick up then rule off filling dips let it go then start to sponge it off job done

you only devil float your scratchcoat?! ???

whats the point in the EVA?!

EVA /PVA the wall to key the wall ready to render/skim its for the bond for the finish devil float the scrach coat too key it for the top coat or use a render comb sorted

carping said:
EVA /PVA the wall to key the wall ready to render/skim its for the bond for the finish devil float the scrach coat too key it for the top coat or use a render comb sorted
that might be your way mate,but i can garante you the rest of us dont do it like that

carping said:
5 sand 1 cement 1 lime
or its 4/1 scrach
5/1 top coat
no way carping m8 leav it out :mad:

Thanks for the replies... Can I ask a stupid question but is water added and at what ratio? also what is the ratio of the water reppellent? Is that just a standard tub of waterproofer frm wickes for e.g....

What kind of consistency is needed for render?

Do I just work my first coat into the wall, just short level, come back the next day to level up...or level it up on the first coat, then float off the next day?

Cheers

whatever you do, DO NOT use PVA outside, if you need anything then use SBR or an SBR cement slurry, and do not devil float the scratch coat. get a proper scratcher.

carping said:
jesus christ it beggars belief

and people like that have got work mate. out of interest carping, what mix ratio would you use on thermalites?

I use a 6:1 to 7:1 building sand to cement ratio for internal work i dont like rendering over then i try and D&D over it
Thermalite Celcon blocks I stick to a mix of about 5:1 building sand & cement with Febmix or water proofer
then a top coat of 6/1 mix 8)

if my rendering is ok for me then ill stick too it but um up for tips m8te never had a call back on my rendering jobs or skimming but we all have our own way to do things ???

I have a wall that is 4ft high x 3ft in width. It is below a window sill and just below the window sill the render has blown away, behind that where it is crumbling away it looks quite smooth. Can somebody advise on what I should do please.

As I say i'm an internal plasterer... Should I take away top layer in the hope that that smooth layer stays smooth, EVA the smooth layer once Ive cleaned the debri out of the way etc. Apply one coat of render with scratch lines ready for the next days 2nd coat to finish off?

PlastererNW said:
I have a wall that is 4ft high x 3ft in width. It is below a window sill and just below the window sill the render has blown away, behind that where it is crumbling away it looks quite smooth. Can somebody advise on what I should do please.

As I say i'm an internal plasterer... Should I take away top layer in the hope that that smooth layer stays smooth, EVA the smooth layer once Ive cleaned the debri out of the way etc. Apply one coat of render with scratch lines ready for the next days 2nd coat to finish off?
sorry m8 your eather a plasterer or your not,

Take of whats loose, brush it off, dampen it down, to romove any dust and s**t, 5-1 plastering sand-cement, waterproofer and plasterciser.When it firm scratch the surface, not all the way through, leave a couple of days then go 6-1 for ya top coat.

Failing that follow carpys method and watch it fall of.lol

this is the rendering board section carping not internal ie floating or dot and dab there was a big clue at the top of the page

says on the thermalite website minimum of 6-1 but i bet if you phoned them and asked they'd say more like 7-1

Status
Not open for further replies.