Stabila level recalibration

Members online

Got a set of Stabila and a dewalt laser level. Laser cock on to Stabila Or possibly vice versa. Still need a good eye though.

I have a Rabone 4 foot in hardwood and brass still bang on vertically but horizontal bubble smashed.
i have bought a new one and will glue it in with Araldite giving me about 10 mins to calibrate.

@imago genuine question whose levells do you use & why?

I have a 5' Stanley yellow for general, Ox 30" and 24" for brickwork and rough stuff. They're just because they can be easily and cheaply replaced when they inevitably get dropped, stepped on or driven over all of which have happened at one time or another.

Then I have fat max 'I' beams in a couple of sizes which are kept clean and out of harms way for 'finishing' work.

I also have a 3' Stabila box level which is over 40 years old and has the associated knocks from use. I keep that and make sure I use it for no other reason than it was my Dad's and if it was good enough to earn his living it's good enough for me. (y)

I have no particular preference for one make or the other, I calibrate/set them up myself so accuracy is never a worry.

I have a 5' Stanley yellow for general, Ox 30" and 24" for brickwork and rough stuff. They're just because they can be easily and cheaply replaced when they inevitably get dropped, stepped on or driven over all of which have happened at one time or another.

Then I have fat max 'I' beams in a couple of sizes which are kept clean and out of harms way for 'finishing' work.

I also have a 3' Stabila box level which is over 40 years old and has the associated knocks from use. I keep that and make sure I use it for no other reason than it was my Dad's and if it was good enough to earn his living it's good enough for me. (y)

I have no particular preference for one make or the other, I calibrate/set them up myself so accuracy is never a worry.

Was just wondering if you felt was much gained by spending more on certain brands

Stabila girder level 83s, 1m. there the best mast produced spirit level ever made.
I’ve had one nearly 20 years now, can’t be doing with cheap tools.

Was just wondering if you felt was much gained by spending more on certain brands

It's the same as any other type of tool really, it all depends on what you're doing with it. I have some very expensive high quality stuff, and some cheap as chips almost disposable tools.

As an example I have two compound mitre saws, one is a 12" Bosch zero swing that cost over a grand with the stand. It's very powerful and accurate so is used for accurate work. I also have an Erbaur cheapo from screwfix that was £40 ish. That gets used for repetative stud work, old timber and the like where accuracy is less important and the risk of damage is higher.

Or the Sorbey 2" chisel I use for new oak only, nothing else. It's over 100 years old and will keep an edge you could shave with all day in green oak. Then the screwfix on offer plastic handled chisels for general use.

Spend well where you need to and will see the benefit, and spend as little as you can get away with where it doesn't make sense to do more.

Had'nt heard of Sorby, looked them up. They are quite clearly so fckng good I will never own one, it would be a crime.

Had'nt heard of Sorby, looked them up. They are quite clearly so fckng good I will never own one, it would be a crime.

If you keep an eye out for them you can pick them up for reasonable money second hand. Sometimes you see them on eBay or old tools dealers where the seller either hasn't noticed the Mr Punch logo or doesn't realise what it is. The steel they're made from is second to none.

This is the last time I used it for shaping up a new corner post.

IMG_20180924_092242 (1).jpg