Spray plastering

Members online

Jimmyc321

Jimmyc321 here spray plastering is it worth trying to get into it been plastering for 15 years thinking this might be the future

Jimmyc321 here spray plastering is it worth trying to get into it been plastering for 15 years thinking this might be the future
Hi mate just seen this bin a while sins over bin on here we moved to airless plaster and it’s great was hard to get used to at the start and had a couple problems but now it’s bang on

I’ve seen one job with airless and it looked absolutely shocking I don’t get the point of it either don’t you still need to tape joint the boards ?

I’ve tried it mate with the Knauf spray and the bg spray finish , a few of us on forum went to Knauf and the system I feel is good but imo maybe more for a new board work room or job , that said I’ve not tried any refurb with it so can’t comment on that , there would be a a sanding down day though which I feel is where it would be less effective than us skimming a room in refurb as it would be done in same day

Bg spray finish through my ritmo , I did on a new build with two of the lads on here it was a messy application in terms of the floor was covered in over spray , I felt the walls were ok though but again compared to just hand applied of skim we could of probably took longer to do the areas but made up on lost time clean so wasn’t the best

I’d really like to try it again though as I have more experience now with the machine my mate @theclemo always said spraying walls it’s ok but hand apply ceilings sue to the mess which Tbf he’s spot on would be all right

I’ve tried it mate with the Knauf spray and the bg spray finish , a few of us on forum went to Knauf and the system I feel is good but imo maybe more for a new board work room or job , that said I’ve not tried any refurb with it so can’t comment on that , there would be a a sanding down day though which I feel is where it would be less effective than us skimming a room in refurb as it would be done in same day

Bg spray finish through my ritmo , I did on a new build with two of the lads on here it was a messy application in terms of the floor was covered in over spray , I felt the walls were ok though but again compared to just hand applied of skim we could of probably took longer to do the areas but made up on lost time clean so wasn’t the best

I’d really like to try it again though as I have more experience now with the machine my mate @theclemo always said spraying walls it’s ok but hand apply ceilings sue to the mess which Tbf he’s spot on would be all right
It was a nightmare pete...its good in theory but just not worth the hassle...we gave it a good shot but I'm sure 2 sets by hand the 3 of us would have done more

Hi mate we recently did a 200 year old Manor House in wales. System is awsome onto board but also really good for refurb work. We use alsecco fx which you can pritty much trowel to a finish like multi. Sanding takes about 10-15 mins a room tops between 2. We also use alsecco fleece which is large rolls of fibre glass which 1 helps strengthen the walls and 2 shops any hair line cracks down the line.

We have found if we are just doing 1 room we will just use multi as by time your set up you could of done a full set.
But saying that we also do the paint spraying so if we are going to be doing paint also we will do spray plaster and we can get it dry quicker ready for paint.
Both systems have there place you just need to know which to use where

I’ve seen one job with airless and it looked absolutely shocking I don’t get the point of it either don’t you still need to tape joint the boards ?
Its very quick for a full house and not labour intensive. Couple of days to prep it all tape up windows, tape and bead, then a few days to spray it all.

It'll never catch on though, expensive machine, and only good for empty houses

Its very quick for a full house and not labour intensive. Couple of days to prep it all tape up windows, tape and bead, then a few days to spray it all.

It'll never catch on though, expensive machine, and only good for empty houses
Sounds like @algeeman would skim quicker than spraying is?

Steve currier would be the prob one to ask…he done everything spray wise,…if it can’t be sprayed…etc,I’d say he’s the fella ,was he on here for a bit???

Steve currier would be the prob one to ask…he done everything spray wise,…if it can’t be sprayed…etc,I’d say he’s the fella ,was he on here for a bit???
Still here :)

Easterlow has summed everything up in the post above.

Ready mixed airless plasters are great for new build house or full house restorations. The quality of the finish is far superior to gypsum plasters. It is also quicker in most buildings once you understand the system. If you also get in to spraying paints after then you can make some real good money, even if its raining out side.

Spraying multi or thistle spray finish is a just a ball ache. It's so messy and your Limited by set times.

We will still do smaller jobs with gypsum by hand for a quick in and out in a day option.

Airless and traditional both have merits in different situations and it not just a case of one is better then the other however I rather do airless any day of the week.

Finishing a 4 bed house tomorrow, will take some pics and add them here.

Still here :)

Easterlow has summed everything up in the post above.

Ready mixed airless plasters are great for new build house or full house restorations. The quality of the finish is far superior to gypsum plasters. It is also quicker in most buildings once you understand the system. If you also get in to spraying paints after then you can make some real good money, even if its raining out side.

Spraying multi or thistle spray finish is a just a ball ache. It's so messy and your Limited by set times.

We will still do smaller jobs with gypsum by hand for a quick in and out in a day option.

Airless and traditional both have merits in different situations and it not just a case of one is better then the other however I rather do airless any day of the week.

Finishing a 4 bed house tomorrow, will take some pics and add them here.
Out of interest how many days labour in total to prep, spray and sand?

Also do you still need to tape joint the joints to a decent finish before you start spraying or just scrim the joints and away you go

Out of interest how many days labour in total to prep, spray and sand?
It's 725m2 and taken 18 days. Vaulted ceilings and media walls with fire were tricky and slowed things down.

Attachments

• 20220222_101816.jpg
    20220222_101816.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 182