Spotless trowels best tip ever!.

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
I've not been plastering long and I'm trying to learn as much as I can as I love the job. My marshalltown 13" trowel is worn in quite a bit now but I've got a very thin brown layer on the back and on the bottom of the face of my trowel, am I right in assuming these are from cleaning it in dirty water? And can i get rid of them?
Cheers.
soak them in brick acid overnight or longer:RpS_thumbup:takes everything off, feels lighter too,almost as if your only holding a handle:RpS_wink:

Soak it in water ever night and itll brush off depending how thick it is. Normally only takes 1-2 soaks

When i soak my blade i put washing powder in.....................Just so it smells fresh................obviously................:RpS_thumbup:

Hi,
I've not been plastering long and I'm trying to learn as much as I can as I love the job. My marshalltown 13" trowel is worn in quite a bit now but I've got a very thin brown layer on the back and on the bottom of the face of my trowel, am I right in assuming these are from cleaning it in dirty water? And can i get rid of them?
Cheers.
thats just a build up of fat. just soak it and wipe clean or do some sand/cement rendering that'll clean your tools

Or just use Tyzacks, when the fecker's break just send them back under warranty and get a nice new sparkly one free :RpS_thumbup:

Don't do what you're mate did and end up shagging you're missus putting it on you tube when you were n you're 2012 works do

Just found out mr muscle oven cleaner is the biz , leave it a hour or 2 and will be like brand new , dosnt feck your trowel like brick acid neither,wife not happy tho them ovens are a **** to clean with just a Brillo

Fook em, when the build up starts scraping ur knuckles quietly borrow the chippies chisel

We did that along time ago ,nice sharp chisels ,trowels were gleaming ,put them back in the chippys box ,he came back after tea and started chipping out for hinges ,lol ,all we heard was " these chisels are fooked " ,we had a good fooking laugh

Just found out mr muscle oven cleaner is the biz , leave it a hour or 2 and will be like brand new , dosnt feck your trowel like brick acid neither,wife not happy tho them ovens are a **** to clean with just a Brillo

Shes a sh#t cook anyway. :RpS_cool:

I was cleaning my skimming trowel today decided to take the handle off to soak it (wooden handle) and snapped the nut off any one got any ideas on what to do ? I have about 8mm of thread but the handle is to long

Hi,
Cheers.
Not from cleaning, from not cleaning enough, happens to us all, the plaster leaves a residue on the trowels, best finish without it as it causes dragging

I was cleaning my skimming trowel today decided to take the handle off to soak it (wooden handle) and snapped the nut off any one got any ideas on what to do ? I have about 8mm of thread but the handle is to long

Use a porsner bit in a drill press or flat bit in a cordless very carefully and take a few mill out of the handle to allow a new nut to be fitted :RpS_thumbup:

araldite fill it up with the stuff and leave it to set, or shave your handle down until you get enough thread to get nut on:RpS_thumbup:

exactly the same happened to my trowel mate i drilled a tiny (thin) hole down the middle of whats left of the thread then just got a ss self tapper and ss washer been on there since nice and solid and that was about 5 years ago:RpS_thumbup:

R.E. the broken trowel I got the chippy to go in with a 15mm bit to countersink the nut worked a treat :) and all sorted now

Plastering at a mates once, finished for the day, came back to find he,d cleaned my hand board/hawk (don't forgot I,m a brickie lol) totally wrecked my nice smooth top,took a while to get a nice finish on top.
Just lightly tap thick of crap off,then scrap with two inch trowel keeps weight down and as long about five mm round top edge is clean don't have a problem.
Surely steel trowel would rust overnight,same as I never leave a brush in water

steel doesnt rust in water, its when you take it out of water and the air gets to it.. dry it off and its fine, our just clean the f**k*r down properly and u wont have to mess around with these weird cleaning methods..lol.. look after your finishing trowel.. ie. keep it clean..

Status
Not open for further replies.