Intricate 1850's ceiling rose restoration

scattycat64

Hi all

I'm after quite a bit of advice and guidance on a project I have just started. Some friends have a very old house and I offered to help with the redecoration. It was built around 1850 and so I am assuming the ceiling rose will date approx. the same.

I have used Peel Away 7 to remove the layers of paint, quite successfully and then neutralised (or so I thought the plaster rose detail). I used a spray so that it would reach all the intricate areas. Once done I washed with water and then applied a Zinsser BIN 123 primer, sealer. The adhesion failed completely, and it was all very dusty and chalky if I rubbed it. It looked like there were more layers to be lifted and the BIN had reacted. So, I have applied a second lot of Peel Away 7 to remove anything else left behind and the BIN. I'm just waiting for this to work and then I'm going to set to cleaning and neutralising again.
Would the chalky residue be due to not all the paint being removed, the Zinsser BIN or not neutralising and cleaning properly the Peel way off? I literally had water running off the ceiling rose, so I thought I had soaked it enough? Should I use sugar soap, would this help?
Do I need to scrub it after the neutraliser or just wipe away? I can't scrub too hard or some of the ornate pieces may detach.

Which leads on to my next question of what would I use the reattach a couple of pieces that have fallen off cleanly. They are only small pieces with no weight to them, but I want to use the right medium and not just use no more nails like someone suggested.

Which then finally leads on to my other question of once all the peel away is gone and I have a sound clean base to work from, do I need to seal the plaster before painting and possibly gold leafing. What sealant would be suitable and what white paint should I use so as not to clog the detail once again. The gold leaf size will adhere to most primers/sealers, so I just need to get the finish right before I start to apply the leaf.

Exciting project but needs to be done right. Thanks for any advice anyone can give me to what to use, tips on tools to get into the hard to reach places. Anything that will make it easier or quicker tips will all be very much appreciated and greatly received!

Ceiling Rose before.jpg Ceiling Rose peel away 1.2.jpg Ceiling Rose peel away 1.3.jpg Ceiling Rose peel away 1.4.jpg Ceiling Rose peel away 1.5.jpg Ceiling Rose peel away 1.6.jpg Ceiling Rose peel away 1.jpg

It’s a difficult one without seeing it but you can reattach bits using fine casting plaster, just wet the two bits down knock your casting plaster up like cream put some on each side and press together hold in place till it goes of which will be quick remove any excess with a flat piece of thin metal with a bit of flex if need be fine wet and dry will get it right back, I can list tools but without being cocky you probably won’t have a clue what I mean. Try to find someone near you so they can maybe show you. Could the chalky stuff be distemper or lime wash?

It’s a difficult one without seeing it but you can reattach bits using fine casting plaster, just wet the two bits down knock your casting plaster up like cream put some on each side and press together hold in place till it goes of which will be quick remove any excess with a flat piece of thin metal with a bit of flex if need be fine wet and dry will get it right back, I can list tools but without being cocky you probably won’t have a clue what I mean. Try to find someone near you so they can maybe show you. Could the chalky stuff be distemper or lime wash?
Thanks for the info, thats very helpful. Do I use the same product to re-attatch the bits to the ceiling too? I'll investigate tools locally as you suggest, I'm sure you're right I wouldn't know what you were talking about, lol. Maybe it is distemper or lime wash, so I'll try and treat is as such. Thanks again for the help.

The enrichments will come off so getting a cast is quite simple and I would stick them with liquid nails :)

Thanks for the info, thats very helpful. Do I use the same product to re-attatch the bits to the ceiling too? I'll investigate tools locally as you suggest, I'm sure you're right I wouldn't know what you were talking about, lol. Maybe it is distemper or lime wash, so I'll try and treat is as such. Thanks again for the help.
You seem to have great respect for that job which I admire,but unless you know exactly what your doing it’s best left to people who specialize in that area.work like that deserves the best professional’s attention to restore it to it’s former glory which i’m sure you agree.And also they should be rewarded handsomely which in fact is never enough for these highly skilled people who have invested years at this study and not just a quick fix on the internet.Yours kindly Nick.

If you are asking how to fix the rose to the ceiling just screw it up and make good with casting plaster or even plaster of paris, you should be able to get it from a art shop, otherwise you will end up with 25 kilos of the stuff which incidentally is what we use to repair holes instead of filler