speedskim

Members online

Do us a tutorial scottie! I did a little bedroom (walls only) yesterday. Used the speedskim to flatten 1st and 2nd coat. Went over the walls a 2nd time with it but it still needed 2 trowels to finish.
I'd like to see a you tube tutorial! I had a speed skim with grey or white blade and I've currently got a Refina spat that doesn't get used very often. Think the spat needs some breaking in before I consider finishing with it though.

Spoke to scott recently @Speedskim , had both the blue and original white/grey.
I personally found them very similar. Loved the grey as soon as I used it.
Loved the blue straight away aswell, but seemed a lot nicer sooner - finished better quicker.
The grey took 6 months to get nice whereas the blue did after a few weeks.
Still could do with a shop or warehouse north London mate.

I've tried using the speedskims for 2 weeks now I can't get on with them at all so they've gotta go . I got one of the refina equivalents the other day and it's great to work with already. I think the metal blades are definitely my preference

I've tried using the speedskims for 2 weeks now I can't get on with them at all so they've gotta go . I got one of the refina equivalents the other day and it's great to work with already. I think the metal blades are definitely my preference

Refina equivalent? Do you mean either of the newer plastic bladed rules or metal s*p*r*lex ones?

I've got the 800 metal one it leaves a much better finish.I was gonna get one of the plastic ones but I haven't seen anyone using them yet so I don't know if there any good

I've got the 800 metal one it leaves a much better finish.I was gonna get one of the plastic ones but I haven't seen anyone using them yet so I don't know if there any good
U mean a refina spatula? Y can't u use a speedskims lol? There's nowt easier.can u float? It's just like ruling off with a feather edge but 100xs easier

Yes I can float,they've all got different names I think it's a spat tho. I really don't know why I can't get on with them they leave lines all over my work, just don't find them easy to use

Yes I can float,they've all got different names I think it's a spat tho. I really don't know why I can't get on with them they leave lines all over my work, just don't find them easy to use
Wat lines do u mean? The 1 line it leave because of the corner or the tiny mm lines what are on the blade? It dsnt matter with them tiny lines the purpose of the speedskim is to flatten ur work quicker so wen you trowel up you wil have no lines I dnt get where ur coming from if its the line where the blade ends bend it back

2 Passes with speedskim flatten only

Attachments

• WP_20160523_001.jpg
    WP_20160523_001.jpg
    442.3 KB · Views: 546
  • WP_20160523_002.jpg
    WP_20160523_002.jpg
    483.1 KB · Views: 1,255
  • WP_20160523_003.jpg
    WP_20160523_003.jpg
    395.4 KB · Views: 508
f**k knows how you lot do it. I skimmed a 40m ceiling last week. Thought id give the speedskim a try. Gave it one flatten. Didnt like how it left it and went straight back to a trowel. I'll try and find the pic i sent scott

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Thats laid in then flattened with a 600mm on a pole. Dog shite

1972d3e60c4380874e26e6d2052542c1.jpg

f**k knows how you lot do it. I skimmed a 40m ceiling last week. Thought id give the speedskim a try. Gave it one flatten. Didnt like how it left it and went straight back to a trowel. I'll try and find the pic i sent scott

They're a waste of time and money. Just put it on FLAT in the first place with a trowel. Pretty simple really

Thats laid in then flattened with a 600mm on a pole. Dog shite

1972d3e60c4380874e26e6d2052542c1.jpg

Wen u flattened it did u flatten it straight away? Uve got to run it over 1st pass wen its piss wet

Last edited by a moderator:
Wat lines do u mean? The 1 line it leave because of the corner or the tiny mm lines what are on the blade? It dsnt matter with them tiny lines the purpose of the speedskim is to flatten ur work quicker so wen you trowel up you wil have no lines I dnt get where ur coming from if its the line where the blade ends bend it back

Yes it's the lines on the corners,I've bent the corners ba
ck and then I rounded the corners .I still got no joy from them

Yes it's the lines on the corners,I've bent the corners ba
ck and then I rounded the corners .I still got no joy from them
U shudnt get any lines if u give u corners a rounded snip then bent backwards pal..if u stick with it u will not look back mate don't listen to that dinasour

I'll get some close ups, @beddy throw that 600 away for ceilings, hardly ever use mine at all, minimum 4ft for me.
And kitchy is right, get on it as soon as you have it on, before you wash out or anything. Then another wipe 10 mins later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got it as a freebie mate thats the only reason ive got one.

I'll get some close ups, @beddy throw that 600 away for ceilings, hardly ever use mine at all, minimum 4ft for me.
And kitchy is right, get on it as soon as you have it on, before you wash out or anything. Then another wipe 10 mins later.

Yep that's the key..as soon as my last bit of gear is on its straight over even b4 ive washed my tools off..

@Speedskim need to be used when the gear is wet :D I actually use the speedskim as an added extra pass... once I have gone over it with the the speedskim I would often go over with an 18.... unless I cant be arsed

Rnt u the guy who gets loads of tiger stripes?
Now and again..And like I said previously bg call it Ribbing so it's to Do with the material. Dont tell me speedskim solves this because it doesn't I know lads who've tried speedskim to see if eliminated them and it didn't. Just get your walls flat with your trowel which any decent plasterer can do.If you want to waste your money then that's your choice

Does the mash man ever sing a different song?
Why must we use a trowel to get our walls flat?
As regards of not being able to, how do you think I went on for 26 years prior to using speedskim??
Also it's not ethical to use them everywhere so it's sort of miss guided your point of not being able to use a trowel.....
Can you not just let it go if it's not for you without questioning people that do use them on EVERY thread that relates to them?

Tbf everyone plastering different ways now there are so many trowels out on the market.
If we started a thread how do you trowel off when plaster is on there would be about 10 or 12 different ways in the answers..i don't think anyway matters as long as it works for you

Now and again..And like I said previously bg call it Ribbing so it's to Do with the material. Dont tell me speedskim solves this because it doesn't I know lads who've tried speedskim to see if eliminated them and it didn't. Just get your walls flat with your trowel which any decent plasterer can do.If you want to waste your money then that's your choice
Exactly as big k say..ive used a trowel 15 years so y not make it easier for myself..only used speedskim for a year and half

You need your trowel to put it on the wall.When it goes on the wall it goes on FLAT. Everyone to they're own.Thank f**k I'm nearly finished at this game couldn't stand starting now. It's a very simple game plastering.

You need your trowel to put it on the wall.When it goes on the wall it goes on FLAT. Everyone to they're own.Thank f**k I'm nearly finished at this game couldn't stand starting now. It's a very simple game plastering.
How long u been in the plastering game?
I think yer little bit interested with the Speed skim u just need a bit more encouragement:whistle::cachetada: