Speedskim or refina finishing spat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

James Quinn

So basically i have two workmates who both have different ways of flattening down their finish coat.
One has a speedskim and one has a refina spat.
I have used both tools and think both are great but i am at a loose end of which 1 to go for.
Any advice on which 1 to opt for? Any pros & cons?

Thanks for all help given in advance.

I use the speedskim but don't finish with it but there is something else to throw into the mix as well and that's the eze spat from @Plasterers1StopShop

I do like the speedskim though and it is a great tool but that's all I have used so I am sure some others will pipe in and help :)

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

I use the speedskim to flatten and with the pole is quality for big ceilings especially high ones.i have used the eze spat which I would think would be better for troweling with it but I found flattening brought all water up to surface

I have a speedskim and an eze spat,both good tools and I'm struggling to decide between the two atm but I have only used the eze a couple of times so far so that could change when I get more used to it.

If theres only room in your tool kit for one id personally take the blue bladed speed skim over any spat.
There's a redesigned metal tipped speed skim blade being rolled out fairly soon aswell.

Speedskim for me my cousin users refina though...just buy both u can never have to many trowels

old grey blades got upgraded to better plastic and the blue ones can be used to finish with... they also have less grooves @Speedskim can conform or deny this for you though :D

The speedskim blue fantastic I use right thru to the finish ,Neva used the eze spat ,what is the best size speedskim for ceilings using a pole 600 or 800??
As anybody using the speedskim sf?(y)

The speedskim blue fantastic I use right thru to the finish ,Neva used the eze spat ,what is the best size speedskim for ceilings using a pole 600 or 800??
As anybody using the speedskim sf?(y)
Got the speedskim sf, not too keen on it though, after flattening with the blue blade + couple if trowels cant find a use for it, git the 600 sf + 1200 st so sf ok for small ceilings.

So basically i have two workmates who both have different ways of flattening down their finish coat.
One has a speedskim and one has a refina spat.
I have used both tools and think both are great but i am at a loose end of which 1 to go for.
Any advice on which 1 to opt for? Any pros & cons?

Thanks for all help given in advance.
its spit or swallow mate. in the end its down to personal preference. try both

Eze spat all the way. The refinas are flimsy and can't replace the blades. Only ever tried the old grey blade on a speedskim and hated it can't say over the new ones but @scottie5 knows his stuff so I believe him. But like anything it's personal preference so try or buy all 3 (y)

I have tried all 3 I found the refina spat warped really quickly, the eze doesn't and being able to change the blade is a big plus so its definitely got the edge over the refina.
I have a 600 and a 1m eze spat but seldom use them its all personal preference I just find the speedskim works better for me the way I approach my gauges.
2 or 3 passes with the speedskim a quick tickle with the s*p*r*lex, then get some more on.
It leaves a fairly consistent finish.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-10-23-09-48-10.png
    Screenshot_2015-10-23-09-48-10.png
    292.4 KB · Views: 814
I've been using the blue blade speedskim much better than the old grey one
Scratch on then flatten lay in then first wipe over with the speedskim again
Then finish off with nela sexy flex results are mint

Couldn't you give that lad a shout? The one who helped you do the Spanish ceiling? I can help if you're stuck Dan?

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

No the guy when you did that old guys ceiling. You know

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

I've been using the blue blade speedskim much better than the old grey one
Scratch on then flatten lay in then first wipe over with the speedskim again
Then finish off with nela sexy flex results are mint
Must admit so easy on any background as well ,the speedskim saves so much work and the walls flat as fuk,everybody on ere don't rate the SF blade not a bigger seller then:sorprendido3:

I have tried all 3 I found the refina spat warped really quickly, the eze doesn't and being able to change the blade is a big plus so its definitely got the edge over the refina.
I have a 600 and a 1m eze spat but seldom use them its all personal preference I just find the speedskim works better for me the way I approach my gauges.
2 or 3 passes with the speedskim a quick tickle with the s*p*r*lex, then get some more on.
It leaves a fairly consistent finish.
I've tried to finish the way you describe but can't do it so hats off to you. That technique would make it very easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.