Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes for exteriors

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

bubbles65

I'm toying with the idea of getting one of these and would like the opinions of those who have used it. If you HAVEN'T used it divvent bother posting, but those who HAVE used it, let me know what you're using it for, what it works best on and what it doesn't work on. Cheers me dears:RpS_thumbup:

And you can have a little vote on whether you would recommend it or not.

They arent bad for flattening skim although youve got to flatten pretty soon else it drags. You cant finish with them. They tend to pick up bits easily too. Used one on hardwall a couple of times and its ok would be interested in trying the 1800 for backing coats. Mines not been out the van in ages though because in all honesty it doesnt save much time. I got mine for free and if it came to having to buy one knowing how it works id probably give it a miss

for finish same as beddy. it half arse flattens a wet first coat. and you only need to flatten a first coat if its gone right off anyway

Its not that bad on lightweight hardwall n tough coat but i wouldnt dare use it on something like s+c. I was impressed with the h profile rule nicks got so think im gonna get a couple. Where do i get them from darling?

I had one given by a friend (hope he doesn't mind me calling him a friend) it's not for trad skim imo, but would be ideal for following up on a spray skim set up for a quick flatten, I just use mine for flattening in my colour top coat on the brick effect renders, but the derby an spat works just as well

On skimming I just wouldn't be without mine.
I flatten first coat with it as soon as its on.

Once I've laid down, i flatten twice again with speedskim before spatting to finish.
Awesome IMO.

This is what I used mine on ceilings, walls, ruling off renderlite, and also in re skimming it's good when you have to fill in hollows with multi it;s good to feather these hollows when preping the walls. It's just case of getting use to it. And of cause
it's £30 of your tax :RpS_thumbsup:

Its not that bad on lightweight hardwall n tough coat but i wouldnt dare use it on something like s+c. I was impressed with the h profile rule nicks got so think im gonna get a couple. Where do i get them from darling?

again its one of those things that a h section already does.....

h sections from lord and downing, ebay, refina, i think weber, builders merchants..... cant remember where i got mine from now

I had one given by a friend (hope he doesn't mind me calling him a friend) it's not for trad skim imo, but would be ideal for following up on a spray skim set up for a quick flatten, I just use mine for flattening in my colour top coat on the brick effect renders, but the derby an spat works just as well

its probably alright on basecoats too. but it does nothing that no other tool does

I think the reason i liked the speedskim on hardwall was more to do with the handle and the angles you can hold it because you Can use it to spread any plaster into hollows like you were with the h rule hence why i wanna get one.

I think the reason i liked the speedskim on hardwall was more to do with the handle and the angles you can hold it because you Can use it to spread any plaster into hollows like you were with the h rule hence why i wanna get one.

But don't you just do that with a normal feather edge Steve? I've had h section rules in the past but didn't find them any better or worse to use than a normal feather edge.

try axminster fatty

diddnt like my speed skim for plaster i found it dragged the edges that you would cut back with ya small tool through the skim then you had to touch them up and it wassnt any faster but same as steve i like it on lightweight backing coats although mines warped out of shape in the back of the truck and i dnt wanna spend 30 plus on another

But don't you just do that with a normal feather edge Steve? I've had h section rules in the past but didn't find them any better or worse to use than a normal feather edge.

Yes but find it easier with the speedskim handle plus your fingers are oot the way of the s**t. I like to try and keep clean

Yes but find it easier with the speedskim handle plus your fingers are oot the way of the s**t. I like to try and keep clean

How do you manage to get it over your fingers using a feather edge you messy git? And how do you get anything straight using something so floppy?

Have you used one Andy? Is it THAT floppy like?

No I've not used one myself mate but they're not a new idea, there have been guys using these cavity closers on site for ages and before there were cavity closers people were fixing all manner of flexible materials to their feather edges. And why were they wanting flexible rules? Well because they just follow the shapes rather than straighten the walls so skating over the work quicker. Sorry if this offends but it's what I've seen with my own eyes, in fact even guys that use the lightweight flimsy ali rules rarely leave the walls straight. Having said all that I could see a use for a cavity closer when your using the BG Spray Finish as you need to flatten the Tyrolean type effect of the finish while its still really quite wet.

thier not that floppy and if you block rule a wall and rule it as soon as youve laid it on its still wet and doesnt follow any bumps, thats just what ive found anyway not saying your wrong andy you have far more experience than me, but thats just the way i do it no and it seams to work out quicker and easier for me, also less digs in the float coat from me getting over excited and ahead of myself haha

It's not floppy and they are excellent for flattening material when still wet. That's the key to them. Lay a wall on flatten straight away, another flatten after 15 mins, then switch to spats to finish.

The pole attachment is coming soon, I'll let you all know what its like.

i found it dragged the edges through the skim too much you know the bits that you would cut back with a small tool although i doubt you do that too much theres more of you than me so id imagin all your angles are wet angles, then i had to go back andtidy up the edges with me trowel so i found i might aswell just do it with my trowel anyway, i found it did leave a nice even finish though but i just dnt like it for skim work but lightweight floating ill use it all day long, like i said i usually block rule so works out lovley for that

How do you manage to get it over your fingers using a feather edge you messy git? And how do you get anything straight using something so floppy?

i always used to use a feather edge but changed when i started using a machine. feather edges arnt practical for ruling sprayed gear imo. and andy you should no by now steven is very experience in handling the floppy

IMAG0217.jpg

Like Andy says, the principal behind the speed skim has been around for years. My only reservation is the poor build quality. This happened within 2 weeks of owning it.
And that won't make anything flat. Maybe I have brought a duffen. We used real cavity closers at a fraction of the cost to good effect.

Still prefer the s*p*r*lex for faster flattening of skim though, just got to treat it like a baby and dont breath on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.