• No for internals

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes for exteriors

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
ive seen less waves at a mexican football game haha.
mines gone the same way mate all over the place i just cnt bring my self to spend the money when its just goin to go the same way

because andy, i get carried away and put it on 3" thick lol. nah i mean like when you pick it up etc, its bound to get on yer ands but if you use a h rule the handles out the way. i only ever used the speedskim for flattening in after ive ruled off, ready for floating, ive seen people do similar with a spat.

gary axminster havent got those rules, just a T shaped one. do i need an account with someone like lord and downing to order from them?

I bought one from axminster a few months ago.

Edit: can't find any on their site now though.

Last edited:
none on ebay either. will have to phone lord and downing tomorrow, or i can have yours when you drop me that powerfloat and spat off

because andy, i get carried away and put it on 3" thick lol. nah i mean like when you pick it up etc, its bound to get on yer ands but if you use a h rule the handles out the way. i only ever used the speedskim for flattening in after ive ruled off, ready for floating, ive seen people do similar with a spat.

Ah now I see, personally I've never felt the need to flatten in a wall after I've ruled it, perhaps I'm just rougher than I already thought:RpS_blushing:

ok i'll rephrase it andrew, i like to close in hardwall or toughcoat once ive ruled it. god your so fussy....and rough

didnt see the second link nicholas. i shall contact leon and see how much forum discount hes NOT going to give me...

ok i'll rephrase it andrew, i like to close in hardwall or toughcoat once ive ruled it. god your so fussy....and rough

didnt see the second link nicholas. i shall contact leon and see how much forum discount hes NOT going to give me...

LOL I knew what you meant Steven I can even see why you'd do it, it's just that I don't bother. Mind you I'm pretty fussy with my scratching, perhaps I'd be better of closing it in as you do. Or perhaps I'd just be better of avoiding Hardwall and sticking to S&C.

Speedskim - Hi all

Hi all -

have been watching the Speedskim thread and wanted to join in to help out with some of the current issues if we can. First of all we realise that Speedskim is not going to be for everyone just like all tools. Everyone has there own techniques and we understand that. This will hopefully be helpful to some of the guy's on the site whether using Speedskim already or thinking of buying one.

Firstly we wanted to apologise to Mark and JHPlastering particularly in this thread. We can see from the thread that you have experienced a problem with warping blade. In the early launch there was a defective batch that was found to be sensitive to warping. This was due to an assembly issue. Having looked into the cause we decided the best thing was to redesign the unit to ensure it couldn't happen again. In the improvement process this would have a positive effect and a benefit to the Plasterer having replaceable blade feature.

The new Speedskim now has easily replaceable pvc blades and built in tolerance for expansion +/- 5mm. This ensures the pvc blade stays straight in wide ranging temperatures. The pvc blades are extremely robust but if they ever get damaged (we know what building sites are like) they can be replaced cost effectively. We are not advertising the pvc blades on our website yet - typically a 1200mm blade will be around £2.99 each including vat. This will include new end caps as part of the kit as we feel it is nice to refresh the whole unit. Our aim with all of our Speedskim products is to make the experience cost effective and efficient.

We have a pole attachment coming out in August which fits all Speedskim sizes. This again is going to very reasonably priced at £14.99 inc vat. The pole attachment will suit any standard professional decorators pole so no need to buy anything special. If you do need a pole we will be selling these also.

About how to use the Speedskim - Our recommendation is that you have to deploy the Speedskim straight after plaster application. As the Speedskim flattens it doesn't bring moisture to the surface. This is due to reduced sound vibration as its soft material. This then begins to speed the overall process. You can then apply your second coat straight after, again deploy you Speedskim straight away. Then leave to pick up and trowel/sponge whichever you preferred method. We also recommend an optimum angle of between 17 to 22 degrees as best. Too shallow an angle is not recommended. Please note that these are our recommendations and we appreciate everyone has their own ways. Speedskim is like any other tool, you have to get used to it and find your best methods/routine.

Blade change instructions are on our website How to change the Speedskim Blade

Once again we do appreciate that Speedskim is not for everyone. The Speedskim is good on a number of other material applications and advice is being loaded on the website within the next week. However we are available to talk to anyone who has any product queries on 0845 6000 227. This support is available 7 days a week.

Its always a bit difficult to reply to thread conversations and debate - we thought it would be beneficial to talk about the main issues and give as much info as possible. We hope this is helpful :)

We have spoken to Mark (good to talk to you mate). Note to JHPlastering, will pm you about the Mexican Speedskim :)

cheers

Scott

haha i read all that calling ya a barst for forgeting me but i take it all back, cheers pal speak to ya soon

Im taking a punt that if they sold the unit for less than £30 then you would not be able to get the blades for for £3 :)

I think they are looking at the bigger picture :)

I could be wrong :)

Hi windy - the aluminium is the expensive part of the unit - metal prices are at a premium. It is extruded to a very high spec and also goes through a more expensive cutting and hole punching process. We should probably charge more for the blades but we dont want to penalise the plasterer. Our thought process is wherever possible make as many aspects economical. The pvc blades are very robust and not prone to digs - its not a money making excersise. Hope this helps. :)

It's £30 good value and it's good for cutting paint in as a cheeky fecker used mine for on a job. So are you going to buy one bubbles

u should be closing it using your rule not a fcuking spat u rough c**t or cant u use an edge properly spats arent for plastering

u should be closing it using your rule not a fcuking spat u rough c**t or cant u use an edge properly spats arent for plastering

As I has said before gary, until I left my old boss I'd done probably 10m2 total floating, he never used to do it. So in the last 2 years I've had to teach myself. I've tried starting left to right, right to left, bottom first, top first, screeds, freehand etc and have now have a way of doing it that I'm comfortable with. If you'd like to explain to me how you close in with your rule I'd be greatful. This is the reason I want a h rule so i can hold it flatter to close in.

Steve to close in using a normal featheredge after you have got the wall where you want it you just pass the edge over the wall at a very shallow angle, but I think you already knew that. By closing yours in is it any neater than this?

Speed skim

No its much neater lol. No I've not done much internal s+c andy so couldn't compare. I find tough coat and hardwall are still quite 'rough' after being ruled. I like the grips on h rules and think it'll be easier to hold flatter to close in. I was working with nick last week and he was using cpi (I think) he ruled it and it was still quite rough but by the time he'd rubbed it up it was perfect and ready for skimming

Status
Not open for further replies.