Soooo I bought

Status
Not open for further replies.
Weaker than a twig I think, and the spare, went the s fit for purpose I thought , which is a shame, some seem to find them invaluable, jr spunky and a few more guys, not sure if its the Same one as this but on that theme,sorry to hear jr got mugged,tomorrow
will it be the Barton trowel he gets mugged for...:RpS_wink:

John... You've gotta agree these tools are making things Complicated .... What happened to the days you used to put on, flatten, second coat, 1st trowel, 2nd trowel, set finished if you got all your timings right, not even a need for a polish.

Not sort how these tools are making it easier, people are going over their walls countless times to get the required finish, and i reckon its still sh*t half the time.

Last edited:
So its a 2 trowel finish? Apply your 2 coats, flatten with speedskim then when times right dry trowel with a plastic trowel ? Have i got that right?

No its,

Lay on,
Plazi,
Flatten,
Spat,
Sponge,
Lay on,
flatten,
Plazi
Spat,
Sponge,
Spat,
Plazi finish.

John... You've gotta agree these tools are making things Complicated .... What happened to the days you used to put on, flatten, second coat, 1st trowel, 2nd trowel, set finished if you got all your timings right, not even a need for a polish.

Not sort how these tools are making it easier, people are going over their walls countless times to get the required finish, and i reckon its still sh*t half the time.
Oh yes, they bring new problems, its about timing and your own likes, I believe that with these tools sponging may become the norm, don't let spunky read this...I have deniability

people are going over their walls countless times to get the required finish, and i reckon its still sh*t half the time.

Naa get it to a mirror finish and piis off the painters haha.

No its,

Lay on,
Speed skim

Lay on,
Speed skim

Spat,

Spat,
Trowel finish

No,you forgot to sponge.
Lay on,
Plazi,
Flatten,
Spat,
Sponge,
Lay on,
flatten,
Plazi
Spat,
Sponge,
Spat,
Plazi finish....:RpS_laugh:

Oh yes, they bring new problems, its about timing and your own likes, I believe that with these tools sponging may become the norm, don't let spunky read this...I have deniability

We've done one coating and the process for that is still pretty simple ... Fill out, 1 coat, flatten,sponge,1 trowel, 2nd trowel again set done.

We stick to 2 coating 90% of the time because i find 2 coat rolling is as quick as 1 coat.

Spunkys a proper spread :)

We've done two coating and the process for that is still pretty simple ... Fill out, 1 coat, flatten,sp,1 trowel, 2nd trowel again,third trowel, fourth and fifth trowel ,check forum for advice set done.

We stick to 2 coating 90% of the time because i find 2 coat rolling is as quick as 1 coat.

Spunkys a lover not a spread :)
If you say so

are we talking in codes here lol. What is a spat? and a plazi is plastic trowel I assume? Am I so far behind the times ??? So much for being stuck up north and working traditional methods day in day out for 25 years :) well, 30 years actually gulp. Is it time to retire yet.

are we talking in codes here lol. What is a spat? and a plazi is plastic trowel I assume? Am I so far behind the times ??? So much for being stuck up north and working traditional methods day in day out for 25 years :) well, 30 years actually gulp. Is it time to retire yet.

I have surrendered today and ordered a 1200mm easyskim and plastic trowel from the Plasterers1stopshop today i am willing to try anuthing that might mean this old body can take it a bit easier:RpS_thumbup:

Yes raggles I think I may be doing the same before the weeks out. Been on telling other guys about it today and the comment by ??? who said best invention he s seen since the trowel.

id love to see some of you lots work. im not claiming to be an expert, but my experience and common sense has led me and all decent spreads i know to believe that

a: there is no need to flatten between coats unless you are a complete mong

b: flexible pieces of plastic do not flatten plaster properly

c: it is not any quicker atall

d: using a speedskim on backing coats and render is just plain r******d :)

Last edited:
Lol you are a complete Mong then :)

im sorry but it is a fact that a first coat does not need flattening. It is a waste of time in my opinion but it is 100% not a necessity. Again I don't see b as an opinion. I would say it is quite factual. Flexible plastic will ride any bumps rather than take them out. I think it's more a case of what your happy with. C is from my experience as i said. By the time you've fannied about flattening coats someone else would already have it on. So I can't see any way it's quicker. D I am unquestionably right without sounding like a smart arse :)

Last edited:
Lol you are a complete Mong then :)

im sorry but it is a fact that a first coat does not need flattening. It is a waste of time in my opinion but it is 100% not a necessity. Again I don't see b as an opinion. I would say it is quite factual. Flexible plastic will ride any bumps rather than take them out. I think it's more a case of what your happy with. C is from my experience as i said. By the time you've fannied about flattening coats someone else would already have it on. So I can't see any way it's quicker. D I am unquestionably right without sounding like a smart arse :)
Been called much worse nick,ps asteeltrowel does not flatten finish either, it rides the waves like a surfboard, oddly a speedskim will identify hollows in a wall or ceiling that a trowel won't,basically its a matter of preference, it should not matter to anyone else thay you are wrong..plastering as a living is wrong too, but its too late for most of us now...I will let you have d...

I'm only playing you mong x

like I said just can't understand what all the fuss and thousands of questions are all about. I don't think a first coat needs a flatten. I think it's no quicker and I was thinking more plastic trowel for troweling skim, speedskim flattening bonding and the like. Iv used super flex on spray skim so I think a speedskim would work on that too. Just can't see the need for them or what it really achieves when hand applied. And the latest thing someone said about troweling up with one :confused:

I'm only playing you mong x

like I said just can't understand what all the fuss and thousands of questions are all about. I don't think a first coat needs a flatten. I think it's no quicker and I was thinking more plastic trowel for troweling skim, speedskim flattening bonding and the like. Iv used super flex on spray skim so I think a speedskim would work on that too. Just can't see the need for them or what it really achieves when hand applied. And the latest thing someone said about troweling up with one :confused:
Lots of the stuff only suits big areas, I like the speedskim on big flat ceilings or walls, the s*p*r*lex. Is a handy tool too, but the are not without faults, on our refurbs with twisted walls and ceilings a trowel is best, I always flatten a first coat and always will, perhaps its just preference,

Hi mate was just wondering what sort of increase in production the speed skim gives you.how many bags can you get on with it and what size do you use and why wouldbe greatfull for any feedback thanks

I cannot beleive some of the shite i read on here talk about overcomplicating things its only skimming ffs you can only put on what you are comfortable with

I cannot beleive some of the shite i read on here talk about overcomplicating things its only skimming ffs you can only put on what you are comfortable with

Plastering's not like it was mate ... its full of donkeys nowadays.

If its like some of the crap ive seen today they can keep it cannot wait to get out this game

Love the Speedskims, plastics and superflexs. Do whole sets with out a "real" trowel. If anyone would like to inspect any of it they are more then welcome.

The trowel finish is the best in my opinion, the other is fine when sanded. Its not got the quality, its more DIY in my opinion anyway,the s*p*r*lex s are not designed to last.

s*p*r*lex can finish Spray Finish 100%

Red were **** and warped. Blues have been fine unless I drop them

Last edited:
Great tool, but it does warp badly much too soon in its life span.
just edited my last post

We had warped red ones so I sent them back as unfit for use. Refina have a year guaranty and we good as gold about it. Sent back blues which have been fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.