Shortage of Plasterers.

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nicm

In my opinion in Ireland anyway there will be a shortage of plasterers and indeed other trades over the next few years.There simply is'nt anyone coming through the ranks and when you live in a rural area it takes years to build a name up.It would be interesting to hear other opinions.

Divint worry about it marra someone will just open a training centre running 5 days courses and all will be right with the plastering world again (y)

Agree with every point Nicm. Up to my spuds in work at the minute and only gonna get busier. Money on a steady increase too.
Massive shortage coming soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Divint worry about it marra someone will just open a training centre running 5 days courses and all will be right with the plastering world again (y)
I don't think after five days anyone could plaster a house internally and externally to a high standard.I don't think there's any of that cowboy courses in Ireland.

Its took a year to learn how to play fifa 15.
Now 16 is out.
I dont think id learn how to do anything in a week except curse myself for taking a week to get over a hangover....but I still dont learn !!

Good tradesmen have been in short supply for a few years, and the rates haven't gone up in a long time. Quite a few have gone on to other things like factory jobs where the money is decent, hours regular and it's a lot easier on the body.

The short course issue is affecting most trades now, but the people who have done them tend to work only in domestics. Unfortunately that's the area where most trades went to as a progression from site work.

Anyone who's of an age will have seen a couple of recessions, and probably agree that this one has been relatively easy compared to some. They'll also realise that there will be a boom time in two to five years from now, rates will shoot up and good tradesmen will be able to cherry pick jobs. Five or six years after that there will be another downturn and round we go again.

If there would be a shortage, people wouldn't charge 100 a room skimmed, or housbashing for stupid meterage prices. Articles about this is just to keep people entertained, nowhere near to reality, people get paid to write bullshti in papers and on the net. Only beneficiary is big companies who dictates prices on sites

There is no shortage of stupid c**ts tho. Here is a job I priced €520 I had to supply skim and bonding. I didn't get the job as they got a quote for €250 labour and materials. In pound that is £177

Attachments

• 1447157583440.jpg
    1447157583440.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 491
  • 1447157595711.jpg
    1447157595711.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 501
That's €1130 your not going to get that in Ireland Eddie.

You need to get that here though. Cost of a house, parking/commuting etc. just got my insurance renewal through, £1k. Full licence 30 yrs, no accidents in 25 yrs, no points. You have to factor all that in here.

At that price you would need to knock it out on your own in 3 days max

2 of us would have finished it in a day. So after tax and materials I would have made a days wage. Don't know how anyone could do it for 250 even if he doesn't pay the tax.

2 of us would have finished it in a day. So after tax and materials I would have made a days wage. Don't know how anyone could do it for 250 even if he doesn't pay the tax.

Would have thought it was more than a day for 2 lads. After sheeting up stairs, loading out, bonding curves, working to hard angles ( horizontal ones), cleaning up and getting the tools etc down to the van. Plus the skimming in between. And then tax ???

I'm feeling very very old :buitre::baaa:

Would have thought it was more than a day for 2 lads. After sheeting up stairs, loading out, bonding curves, working to hard angles ( horizontal ones), cleaning up and getting the tools etc down to the van. Plus the skimming in between. And then tax ???

I'm feeling very very old :buitre::baaa:
Do u not know u can do 100%more work when using a speedskim.
It was 2 plasterers I was talking about doing it in a day. No labour. We can get the short set bonding here Eddie.

Yep, see where you're coming from with the short set, I find the speed skim not great unless the boards are fairly straight which they hardly ever are in attic. I suppose 2 spreads working hard could knock it out in a day but I prob couldn't/wouldn't try to any more. I'm a stiff old fecker now.
I'm sticking to me £800 though :burlas::burlas::burlas:

Looks approx 60/70 ??
House bashing youd probably only get £200/£250
Less 20%
Makes me wanna cry.

60/70 m house bashing is half the work of skimming a domestic attic of same meter age, if not a third. 2 easy hits for one man, less worry about mess, less angles, less loading, less water hassle

In my opinion in Ireland anyway there will be a shortage of plasterers and indeed other trades over the next few years.There simply is'nt anyone coming through the ranks and when you live in a rural area it takes years to build a name up.It would be interesting to hear other opinions.
It's a good thing though a shortage means more work for us and money

That's a contrary little space, unless the bottom angle is done hard the hips will look shite, By time you've got yourself up there and preped it would be lunch, two handy days myself and labourer ,600 Euro.

Sent from my HUAWEI G6-L11 using Tapatalk

That's a contrary little space, unless the bottom angle is done hard the hips will look shite, By time you've got yourself up there and preped it would be lunch, two handy days myself and labourer ,600 Euro.

Sent from my HUAWEI G6-L11 using Tapatalk

A labourer for €25 a day ??? You're spoiling him

I wouldn't of wasted my time pricing it or I would of said double what you said just for a laugh. The boards are shocking and look like they have been on a while. The fella has put the beads on so you know he's going for the cheapest quote I bet he rings you the day after they start for a price to finish off :)

Status
Not open for further replies.