Setting a business up

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.
One thing I miss is holidays without tech.... have to take laptop and check online at least twice day

I take my stuff to keep up with football, check out the local area on trip advisor and keep in touch with my family.

I get owls point but when Mrs smith texts you saying the scaffolding isn't down a week after you've finished it wouldn't do my reputation any good if I just ignored her.

Btw, I found some cracking brothels in Prague :bailando::bananas:

I take my stuff to keep up with football, check out the local area on trip advisor and keep in touch with my family.

I get owls point but when Mrs smith texts you saying the scaffolding isn't down a week after you've finished it wouldn't do my reputation any good if I just ignored her.

Btw, I found some cracking brothels in Prague :bailando::bananas:

Lol... no suchh thing as a holiday. .. hence why I have lots of them till I get enough actual days off

:hueco:I've worked for myself for years and don't regret it.
I've had the good bad and ugly times I've always kept 3 plasterers going and luckily there good lads who don't need baby sitting.
Take the step and get a couple of good lads and you will be fine.
But beware! You will not finish work and enjoy your evenings like you do when working for someone else there's always someone ringing or moaning that you haven't finished or started there job yet!!!! ENJOY

I've just had a company tell me they have no money to pay and they may go under.
They owe me 12 grand.not good.

Ouch Jesus Bobby that's gotta smart!

A regular client of yours? What's the story have they been knocked and its trickling down or have they bitten off more than they can chew?

What's your plan of attack to be first inline to get what's owed or some at least if they do go into liquidation?

Sorry to hear that mate :-/

I've just had a company tell me they have no money to pay and they may go under.

That was my biggest fear and one of the main reasons I didn't pursue trying to organise site work.

With a non paying customer I'd have the balls and be confident of fighting for my brass, with larger commercial business's there's that many loopholes I don't think I'd stand a chance.

Had it done to me for £3k, was enough, never again.

Hope you get it Bobby,best of luck bud

there's ways and means to chase them down, but ultimately if there a ltd company and the business is liquidated you'll get nothing or very little as Hmrc get dibs first then it's every one else after thst and you'll only get a certain percentage in the pound of what's owed, if anything at all.If there not limited its different you can go after the directors or owners, I'd seek legal advice as everything wants to be above board.
Happened to me in 2010 mine was a similar amount 11 grand , and wed been on payments until then and this was the last payment but they went bust before I got it, I saught legal advice but in my case they could do nothing and In the end I had to swallow it.

there's ways and means to chase them down, but ultimately if there a ltd company and the business is liquidated you'll get nothing or very little as Hmrc get dibs first then it's every one else after thst and you'll only get a certain percentage in the pound of what's owed, if anything at all.If there not limited its different you can go after the directors or owners, I'd seek legal advice as everything wants to be above board.
Happened to me in 2010 mine was a similar amount 11 grand , and wed been on payments until then and this was the last payment but they went bust before I got it, I saught legal advice but in my case they could do nothing and In the end I had to swallow it.

I think we can all empathise with you, I'd say it's happened to us all, I just turned down an. €80k job , cos I know there's not a hope of getting paid in full, for a shop fitting company in a Hotel extension,I've had nothing but trouble with similar jobs , and I got fed up lying awake wanting to take revenge,the legal route has worked for me , but only when they had funds and we're staying in business
And a third to Solicitor

Cheers chaps.it was a company called longcross.did a mono job for them a few months back.not expecting to get feck all so move on to the next one.

Ashley
If you feel you need to do it go for it.
Its no all about the cash.
Your heart needs to be in it to make it work. Ive been in business a year n a bit now.
Left a good job with the council.
I had been doing private work for 12 years before i left my job.
Created a gd customer base n got notice by a few building companies.
The demand got to much that i couldnt keep up with doing 2 jobs. Thats when i decided to go into business.
Point is you need to do groundwork n get a customer base n work ahead of you before you leave a secure job.
To tell the truth i never thought i could be so busy. Its a bold move giving up a secure job wi a gd pension

sorry to hear that bobby, that would finish me, whats the story,why did you let the bill get so big

Never take my phone or iPad on holiday, road to ruin that, defies the point of going on holiday if your carrying on like that.
agree with owls on this one, I am going to York tomorrow for a few days, and I make a real effort not to even mention work in any way shape or form, get enough of it throughout the year , you have got to have a break mentally and physically, but having said that it is difficult easier for me I suppose I do not employ anybody/no big contracts/housing sites etc etc ....... but bottom line is you must have a break

Cheers lads thanks for input, will stay put for now, just gets boring asking how high to jump when there barking orders at you I do a lot of Govey jobs on a weekend so as long as I keep on with them then I'm happy. I wouldn't know wat to do if I got stung for 10k or more like the earlier comment, I hope you sort that out as wel bobby

I worked for someone and did privates at evenings and weekends until the privates were at point where I didn't have enough hours in a day, took the plunge.
That was 7 years ago and still going. I got a young family and mortgage to pay, wife hates how the job kinda takes over my life but you get out what you put in and your only as good as your last job, look after your reputation and you'll b sweet as

It happened me in 2008 €32000. Reading all this just takes me back. Great times. Best of luck to u tho. I didn't get a penny.
I would do someone serious harm if they screwed me for that sort of money, but I would never let anyone owe me that amount in the first place.

I would do someone serious harm if they screwed me for that sort of money, but I would never let anyone owe me that amount in the first place.

That is how mad it was in ireland at the time. I did a lot of work for the same company for years and always got paid. It just went bang in ireland. I was lucky at the time that I could afford to take the hit. Couldn't take it now tho.

Same as that , didn't have to even call for a payment , just came in middle of every month then bang , game over one company took me for €34,000 , I went to the creditors meeting and mine was the smallest amount , grounds work guy was down half million and home and his partner were gonna lose their houses,
Kept it small and tight since then and getting back there ,doing the work on site is the easy part , hope you get on mate , sure you will, don't let it get to you

Same as that , didn't have to even call for a payment , just came in middle of every month then bang , game over one company took me for €34,000 , I went to the creditors meeting and mine was the smallest amount , grounds work guy was down half million and home and his partner were gonna lose their houses,
Kept it small and tight since then and getting back there ,doing the work on site is the easy part , hope you get on mate , sure you will, don't let it get to you

I think u told me b4 u did work for mc cabe in ardee co louth. He is gone bust now.

The amount of money people can stitch you for is quite frankly petrifying. Most I lost on one was a couple of grand. I am a one man band, and I felt like my world was gonna end! Sleepless nights etc. Now I price by room, and won't start the next one until I have recieved payment for the one just finished. The only way I have found of limiting potential losses.
Christ knows how you big boys limit it. Scary.

Good luck.

The amount of money people can stitch you for is quite frankly petrifying. Most I lost on one was a couple of grand. I am a one man band, and I felt like my world was gonna end! Sleepless nights etc. Now I price by room, and won't start the next one until I have recieved payment for the one just finished. The only way I have found of limiting potential losses.
Christ knows how you big boys limit it. Scary.

Good luck.
Yes the stress not worth it mate ,good for you , problem is we are relying on our client , and he's relying on his , so the knock on effect flows downhill ,

I think u told me b4 u did work for mc cabe in ardee co louth. He is gone bust now.
Yes Clemons , we did quite a few jobs including his own mansion in Ardee , but he paid us in full , I think he overextended on the development end,
I heard they took the wife's jewelry , did he sting you

Yes Clemons , we did quite a few jobs including his own mansion in Ardee , but he paid us in full , I think he overextended on the development end,
I heard they took the wife's jewelry , did he sting you

No didn't sting me. And they did take the jewelry off his wife. They didn't get the farm machinery. A mate of mine got it out in time lol. I was doing a job for a bloke that knows a farmer that sold land for 12 half million in 07. He never took the cows of the Land and no one ever contacted him to take them off the land. So in looked in to it in 2012 and found out the land was up for sale. He bought it back for 3 hundred thousand lol

Signed contract Payment on completion which is standard for mono jobs this size

could you not put an order on the unit that the material and labour is still your property until you are paid in full?
if the building contractor has not been paid for your work you can apply for the payment to be paid direct to you. i think this is called a garnishee, a solicitor would be able to help you if this is the case.

Ireland was bad, I remember in February 2007 the site manager came up to us to say, "you got 2 weeks left, whoever says whatever don't come back" 6 months later MOS mostly went under, I think they only ended up keeping some hotel of some sort. Lot of contractors got done , some will probably never recover.

I too work for a company what contracts to housing associations ,it's not the best work ,dog mess ,needles etc no support from management ,I don't get 500 a week or sick pay or phone or phone allowance ,morale is low no days out etc .i have just been offered site work at 120 a day then 3 pound a metre on the next job ,no hassle ,yes I'll lose the van which is tough but I'm tracked everywhere so if I finish a job an hour early and leave I'll get docked ,they never see you working through lunch or brews though just because you want to get away from the job ,no overtime even though we do it at least an hour or two a week , I would go back to Ireland in a perfect world ,I miss my daughter .i need a good think myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.