second coat

Status
Not open for further replies.

daz1968

is ther n art in getting just fine lines on second coat which makes it easier to flatten as i cannot get this with second coat , may be i am putting to much on or what

dont play with it to much, leave it to pull in before you trowel up and use water sparsly then just work along methodically on your ceiling or wall,i lernt that on my second week of my plastering course ;)
as regards to much on you should only have a few mil on.

Daz this is a basic question so I'm going to have to give a basic answer. Your laying in coat (second) should be going on no more a 1mm thick and deep lines are usually left because the pressure is not being applied to the correct part of the trowel (heel), I hope this helps.

there is also the possibility that the wall you are working on is all over the place, get your straight edge on the wall and it might need floating before you apply the finishing coat. oh and also check your trowel mate if you look down it it should have a gentle curve.. the miidle should be more proud than the corners if its the other way you will need to get a new trowel. i always use tyzack trowels now but have to get a new one every 12 months or so because they always loose there shape. marshaltown seem to keep there shape but i dont like how they feel. ;)

WOW every 12 months mate! To me the longer you have one the better it gets. Couldnt be a**ed trainin one in every yr. Invest in a better trowel mate.

Bruce Willis said:
WOW every 12 months mate! To me the longer you have one the better it gets. Couldnt be a**ed trainin one in every yr. Invest in a better trowel mate.

haha i know mate but i love the feel of a tyzack, i dont mind i have about 7 trowels all different sizes in my van and loads and loads in my lock up so i dont mind breaking a new one in as i still have a fey to finish with ;)

Bruce Willis said:
madmonk said:
the new tyzacks are thin tinny crap in my eyes ive had 3 all lost there shape really quick not like the tyzacks of old
Are they the ones with a black plastic handle?

no mate they are the cheap ragni shyte, tyzack have a red handle, they are a bit cheaper than marshaltown but i like the position of the handle. it is further back than the marshaltown so i feel i have more control over it ;)

kirk johnstone said:
what you using at the moment mate?
Havn't a clue Kirk. I got it yrs ago at b&q coz it had a wooden handle thats curved to fit perfectly. Never took any notice of the name and now Ive forgotten. Absolutley love it.

essexandy said:
Daz this is a basic question so I'm going to have to give a basic answer. Your laying in coat (second) should be going on no more a 1mm thick and deep lines are usually left because the pressure is not being applied to the correct part of the trowel (heel), I hope this helps.
can only agree with andy mate. (remember the neater it goes on the easier it is to finish ;) )

Think along the same lines myself cant really see the benefit of having to go back to your bucket every trowelfull.

Tut tut i know! Not many builders want it done that way no more though mate. Plus I dont think the said piece of apparatus would last long under the pressures of sand and cement! Hope this comment does not get sued for slander

kirk johnstone said:
barryed said:
Bod said:
;D They have the Two hawk for sale as well. ;D

Kirk did you end up getting one of them?

erm no, although i think this is a great tool for diy jobs for the general public, for things like tile adhesive and the sort ;)
why not buy one and see for yourself each to there own but its there for people to buy and try the comments ive had are fantastic piece of kit not just for plastering and not just for diy by the way kirk is that you in the picture with your dad lol

barryed said:
Think along the same lines myself cant really see the benefit of having to go back to your bucket every trowelfull.
Think about this up your ladder highest point of the hall stairs and landing empty hawk all the way down the ladder to reload. The plastering tool and your bucket raised saves a lot of climbing up and down dosent it mr barryed that goes for high ceilings as well

Alright then mate fair is fair next time I have a hall,stairs and landing to do ( which is the end of march ) I willorder said item and I will give it a try. If its any help i will share this info but if I find it to be a waste of time i will also share that.

jimfish said:
kirk johnstone said:
barryed said:
Bod said:

erm no, although i think this is a great tool for diy jobs for the general public, for things like tile adhesive and the sort ;)
why not buy one and see for yourself each to there own but its there for people to buy and try the comments ive had are fantastic piece of kit not just for plastering and not just for diy by the way kirk is that you in the picture with your dad lol

thats my daughter jim!
to be honest mate if i come across your invention i will buy & try, i would think it would also be good for all the ready mix plasters that they use for jointing boards ;)

kirk johnstone said:
jimfish said:
kirk johnstone said:
barryed said:
Bod said:

thats my daughter jim!
to be honest mate if i come across your invention i will buy & try, i would think it would also be good for all the ready mix plasters that they use for jointing boards ;)
[/quoteThanks kirk great photo by the way i know you like to have a laugh but when it comes to serious issuses your spot on mate keep it up regards jim

jimfish said:
kirk johnstone said:
jimfish said:
kirk johnstone said:
barryed said:
Bod said:

thats my daughter jim!
[/quoteThanks kirk great photo by the way i know you like to have a laugh but when it comes to serious issuses your spot on mate keep it up regards jim

thanks jim ;) any way where are you from mate?

barryed said:
Alright then mate fair is fair next time I have a hall,stairs and landing to do ( which is the end of march ) I willorder said item and I will give it a try. If its any help i will share this info but if I find it to be a waste of time i will also share that.
Thats fine barry im open to critisism whether positive or negative thats a way life . because without it we would all be right all the time thats boring as for a waste though i will take your opinions note them and pass back to the manufacturers as i always do but i must tell you this there are ten times more positive reports to every one negative regards jimfish

Status
Not open for further replies.