Scrim

I agree mate looks good tbf some customers could or would go with the flow and just let you or me do it others just wouldn’t have a clue it would look good
You've got to clean them up first, get rid of all the s**t like old filler/plaster/paint and give them a sand down. The end result does look good though. I've got an old tin template my tradesman gave me to cut back the plaster to the right angle, the bead has to be cleaned up so the template runs smoothly over the bead.

You've got to clean them up first, get rid of all the s**t like old filler/plaster/paint and give them a sand down. The end result does look good though. I've got an old tin template my tradesman gave me to cut back the plaster to the right angle, the bead has to be cleaned up so the template runs smoothly over the bead.
Have you got a picture?

Have you got a picture?
Not my work this but nicked the picture from good plasterer I know , made a lovely job imo and looks a thousand times better than thin coat angle bead
Scrim
Scrim

Last edited:
I always use staples for fixing beads and the only time I would put scrim down an angle bead is if someone else has double boarded and left two layers of board showing on the edge.
Guess what, I've never had a crack down a bead, and I've done jobs where I'm on them for years and know what's happening with the work I've left behind.

I always use staples for fixing beads and the only time I would put scrim down an angle bead is if someone else has double boarded and left two layers of board showing on the edge.
Guess what, I've never had a crack down a bead, and I've done jobs where I'm on them for years and know what's happening with the work I've left behind.
Never heard of anyone scrimming a bead, unless as u say or stop bead.

So where do you stand with dowlings out of interest? Remove them?

So where do you stand with dowlings out of interest? Remove them?
I can honestly say that I've never done a job where there were wooden dowlings in place.
I would imagine that by the time you've applied whatever sealer/adhesive you're using and then putting a bead over the top it would be highly unlikely that enough moisture is going to get through to cause the dowels to swell.

I can honestly say that I've never done a job where there were wooden dowlings in place.
I would imagine that by the time you've applied whatever sealer/adhesive you're using and then putting a bead over the top it would be highly unlikely that enough moisture is going to get through to cause the dowels to swell.
Really? I’ve got them coming out my ears on a regular basis!

We should skim upto them really like they originally were
Would save £2 on beads plus no cracks or nails or scrim lol

Should do really, they are there for a reason, the square you get with a bead cuts down manouvering for furniture only an inch or two but it makes a difference

You bet they swell and crack. Did jess systems for years in early days and tried lots of various options over dowels, nothing worked but cutting them out.

Last edited:
I'm not sure if it's an area thing or not but every old house I've worked on (plenty), with square externals, had originally been done using rules?
It must be an area thing cos i rarely get external angles formed in plaster. I'm in central Scotland.

Big 3.5l u-pol easy 1 off ebay.. It's 2 pack resin for £20 to hold beads on... Works a treat and set hard in under 15mins... Bang on the plaster then.. I always use with thin coat stop end beads at the bottom