Saying hello and any thoughts on a rendering problem much appreciated .

Members online

Alan Partridge

Hello all , been in the building trade 30 + years , brickie originally but had the foresight not to just stick to that , competent in a range of trades which has done me ok . Now the question , rendering over painted exterior block work , yes i know its not the done thing ! So i have an old out building , 4inch single skin tatty concrete block and its painted externally with masonry paint , i want to render it as its an eye sore but due to time restraints ( its at home , not for a customer ) i dont really want to have to needle gun it all off , or the cost of mechanically fixing mesh to the whole thing . So i came up with a plan which i have started , but its just turning into a right head ache to be honest . Have scored it all over with the grinder , 10 mm deep scores and approx 2inch diamond criss cross pattern . The paint seemed really sound so then primed with bond it exterior pre grit , that should do the trick i thought , the new render scratch will bite nicely into the scores and to make sure i will bed fibreglass mesh into the scratch too . Good job its been too cold to render the last few days and i didnt start it , as today i noticed the pre grit has reacted with the paint and the surface has gone soft and mulchy , nightmare . So do i pressure wash the stuff off and rely on the very decent key i have created with the scoring and get on with it , i so want to . I do realise the fibreglass mesh will only reinforce it as a sheet in itself , not help stick it to the wall , but do i trust the scoring or not ..decisions !

alan partridge.gif

Get it all off mate don’t be a pansy , atm I’m stripping ever single one of these tiles before I start the rendering works , nitromors a scraper and wire brush plus muscles
06698CF1-DCD9-492F-B473-2E9030DFE5BA.jpeg
EB06145E-B8C8-4EDA-A0E6-5EBD547D93D4.jpeg

Thankyou gents for the input ...and humour . I did try stripping an area of the paint and its really on there , would take days to do the lot . Grinder side on and again painfully labour intensive , ok if it was a paying job . One of those annoying home jobs and to be honest i was looking for the impossible ...a quick easy solution just to get it out of the way .

Hello all , been in the building trade 30 + years , brickie originally but had the foresight not to just stick to that , competent in a range of trades which has done me ok . Now the question , rendering over painted exterior block work , yes i know its not the done thing ! So i have an old out building , 4inch single skin tatty concrete block and its painted externally with masonry paint , i want to render it as its an eye sore but due to time restraints ( its at home , not for a customer ) i dont really want to have to needle gun it all off , or the cost of mechanically fixing mesh to the whole thing . So i came up with a plan which i have started , but its just turning into a right head ache to be honest . Have scored it all over with the grinder , 10 mm deep scores and approx 2inch diamond criss cross pattern . The paint seemed really sound so then primed with bond it exterior pre grit , that should do the trick i thought , the new render scratch will bite nicely into the scores and to make sure i will bed fibreglass mesh into the scratch too . Good job its been too cold to render the last few days and i didnt start it , as today i noticed the pre grit has reacted with the paint and the surface has gone soft and mulchy , nightmare . So do i pressure wash the stuff off and rely on the very decent key i have created with the scoring and get on with it , i so want to . I do realise the fibreglass mesh will only reinforce it as a sheet in itself , not help stick it to the wall , but do i trust the scoring or not ..decisions !
Thanks for that

Ok so im going to bite the bullet and grind the paint off . Anyone got a heads up on what they find to be a decent primer in this situation , conrete block with paint grinded off and all scored up too , fibreglass mesh going in scratch .