sand

Status
Not open for further replies.
simplybesty said:
alsways use sharp washed sand, never use building sand, way to fine and you can end up with salts bleeding through
As simps said , as long as it's been washed it's fine , needs to be loam and impurity free or you get salts etc bleeding through, generally building sand is not washed, so should not be used , another option is to buy a mortar mix from your local tilcon, tarmac etc it's great for dashing and can be ordered in loads of colours ,
My these threads have a tendency to roll on even when the ? been answered many times over ::)

im with grand, cpi sell bagged ocr 6-1-1 mix for 3.40 a bag, you can spray it or mix in a mixer and it evens comes up nice mixed with a drill in a tub.

s**t 11.50 a bag!!! Gulp! My local does it for £6. Does OCR have any limitations where sand and cement would be advantageous, ie exposed areas, after damp proofing or with additives, frost/waterproofer? How is it with SBR?

I've used building sand for all my internal work all my working life and have never had any problems at all, as did my dad all his brothers and most of the plasterers I've ever known. Maybe the building sand in Essex is just better gear.

spunky, get cpi euromix mate, you have to buy a pallet but it comes in handy all the time. if you want to put waterproof or sbr in it then you can. as for exposed area's we use it on outsides all the time spraying it through the machine.

essexandy said:
I've used building sand for all my internal work all my working life and have never had any problems at all, as did my dad all his brothers and most of the plasterers I've ever known. Maybe the building sand in Essex is just better gear.
Same as.

cheers simps holme sand is our local bread and butter far better than that soft yellow shite those yoikes from essex use ;D.

del said:
essexandy said:
Same as.
this is the thing though innit.. what some people call building sand, others reckon is sh'te, but jewsons in spalding used to sell 2 'building sands' one was bright yellow and almost like cotton wool, the other was reddish and loverly for rendering and their sharp could be a bit too coarse at times, bit like the wickes stuff..
like andy said earlier, best to go grab a handful first so you know what youre gonna get if its a decent size job..

Building sand I've been forced to use causes me nothing but stress, loads of shrinkage, sodding stuff shells off and if you can get it to stay then after a few months it just disintergrates! Wank!! Fine washed all the way! Had to use Selco plastering sand the other week and that was good gear.

ziggy2 said:
Building sand I've been forced to use causes me nothing but stress, loads of shrinkage, sodding stuff shells off and if you can get it to stay then after a few months it just disintergrates! Wank!! Fine washed all the way! Had to use Selco plastering sand the other week and that was good gear.
Been using Selco plastering sand most of the time, yeah its not bad... Leighton Buzzard I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.