Sand and cement scratch coat on solid brick?

Members online

mrmeanor

I have some upstairs rooms where the old plaster has blown on some of the external walls. I've removed it back to the brick.

The property is Victorian double brick no cavity. It's not a damp house, but over the course of 100 years the plaster has inevitably deteriorated.

Can I just use sand and cement scratch coat followed by undercoat plaster? There seems to be conflicting advice about breathability requirements whcih just descend into chaotic threads without any categorical answer. Some cement renders seem to state that they're breathable.

Attachments

• IMG-20210910-WA0019.jpeg
    IMG-20210910-WA0019.jpeg
    1,021.9 KB · Views: 189
I have some upstairs rooms where the old plaster has blown on some of the external walls. I've removed it back to the brick.

The property is Victorian double brick no cavity. It's not a damp house, but over the course of 100 years the plaster has inevitably deteriorated.

Can I just use sand and cement scratch coat followed by undercoat plaster? There seems to be conflicting advice about breathability requirements whcih just descend into chaotic threads without any categorical answer. Some cement renders seem to state that they're breathable.

external walls, batten and use insulated PB.

Internals use hardwall.

Any particular brands? Kningspan seems to be quite expensive and difficult to get hold of, whereas knauf board is available at Wickes.
That’ll do. It’s all a bit pricey unless you use the cheaper polystyrene back boards. Recently refurbed a friends house and insulated all external walls, he’s a spreadsheet geek and reckons he’s saving £40-50 a month on heating bills.

If you’ve got no damp no need for S&c and can be floated with hardwall. You might as well insulate it with thermal boards or stud & insulate though with it being an external wall. Might be an idea to do the other side of the breast, if that’s what it is at the same time.

That’ll do. It’s all a bit pricey unless you use the cheaper polystyrene back boards. Recently refurbed a friends house and insulated all external walls, he’s a spreadsheet geek and reckons he’s saving £40-50 a month on heating bills.
In the summer?

You know youve made a totally stupid post when @smoother09 or @Casper give it the thumbs up
You know when you comment on it your thinking about me! In your head I own you it's your own dung heap for you! Do yourself a favour leave the excelsior alone today go to nearest DIY shop and buy yourself a new toilet brush! Think how good you will feel Monday morning be shiniest caretaker in Ireland with your new toilet brush bless you I wish I could see the smile on your face.