s*p*r*lex someone enlighten me please

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

spasm

hi, im a 48 year old plasterer, old skool float n set. i was introduced to these s*p*r*lex trowels not long ago. i normally use my marshall towns ss for everything. laying on, up to the final trowel, a mate gave me a s*p*r*lex a couple of weeks ago and i used it to do a ceiling. laid everything on with my marshall town and troweled up with the s*p*r*lex. 2 days later the customer called me back to look at the ceiling when it was painted. it looked terrible, bumpy a rough. i had to do it again (highly embarressed ) ive never had a complaint in my years till then. ?????????????

Your walls and ceilings have to be supaflat to use supaflex !!
I have a worn in one for coating and getting as flat as possible then I use a new one to finish off gauge.

A bit of getting used 2.
But they are good.

There have been times when ive asked myself why is goin wrong.
As long as you keep to hits that can be handled.
You should be fine.

hi, im a 48 year old plasterer, old skool float n set. i was introduced to these s*p*r*lex trowels not long ago. i normally use my marshall towns ss for everything. laying on, up to the final trowel, a mate gave me a s*p*r*lex a couple of weeks ago and i used it to do a ceiling. laid everything on with my marshall town and troweled up with the s*p*r*lex. 2 days later the customer called me back to look at the ceiling when it was painted. it looked terrible, bumpy a rough. i had to do it again (highly embarressed ) ive never had a complaint in my years till then. ?????????????

In that case it couldn't of looked cock on when you was finished ? You must of looked at it and thought not as good as normal ?

Needs to be so flat for these trowels to work well, they tend to ride over any imperfections where as your SS would flattin imperfections out.

i used to be a big lover of the s*p*r*lex trowel but i also found that once it was finished it looked the nuts completely uniform and perfect, paint it and you could see where there had been a slight high spot that the s*p*r*lex had "flexed" over hiding it, switched back to the trusty mt now only use the s*p*r*lex for the final wet trowel now, cnt beat good old mt

i used to be a big lover of the s*p*r*lex trowel but i also found that once it was finished it looked the nuts completely uniform and perfect, paint it and you could see where there had been a slight high spot that the s*p*r*lex had "flexed" over hiding it, switched back to the trusty mt now only use the s*p*r*lex for the final wet trowel now, cnt beat good old mt

Alright Jason good to hear you about hows things bud?.

yeah good mate works very busy at the moment how about you mate?? keeping busy??

Its because theyre all a pile of shite. As said a million times before. Bendy things dont make things flat. But what would I know.... trust Ryan Hill

Last edited:
f ucking hell its been that long since i used this site ive forgotten how to reply with your response attached aswell haha i just sat there looking at the screen dribbling like a div trying to remember how to use this site............then got it wrong hah

I find this all quite amusing that you slate a tool that you either can not use or have no idea how to.I get perfect results with mine as have the savvy to change my timings to make the tool work. If you can not understand how to work with something new do not bother trying. As for something bendy and ****.. I Believe this not to be the case. I know loads of local spreads trying this out for the first time who thought its got to be used as a normal trowel like an mt and its not the case .. I spoke to them and they realized how easy it was to use without any bumps or ripples Once they changed timings. Its not ****. it does work and i will be happy to prove it to any non believer on here. Thank you .Good night and much love

This is how the s*p*r*lex works....
1. you 1st coat with your premium trowel
2. when ready you 2nd coat with your premium trowel
3. let it pull in the flatten with your PREMIUM trowel ( not the s*p*r*lex )
4. 1st trowel with the s*p*r*lex
5. 2nd trowel with the s*p*r*lex
6. final cross trowel with the s*p*r*lex

the s*p*r*lex WILL NOT take any time of a set, how can it ? its a trowel, not a magic wand
people getting bumps etc are simply getting on the surface too early and therefore '' riding '' over the ridges, if you let it pull in exactly the same as you would if using a marshalltown , thats the way to do it..
the s*p*r*lex makes the job easier on the body, it is not designed to get the wall/ceiling flatter
so for the people struggling with the s*p*r*lex, try using it as the steps above... only get on the stages of trowelling up as you would with say only using a marshalltown... and tiger stripes are caused by applying the gear too thick..

the s*p*r*lex is a great trowel and loved by many people, i will say anyone not liking it, are simply using it wrong, give this a try and see how it goes....

You guys are comical. It's really no rocket science. Yet you explain it like it's some magical tool that other people don't understand.
At the end of the day it's a trowel. And you can trowel up a wall with any old load of **** if you really want to. I just don't understand why everyone is jizzing their pants over it and then when someone dislikes them it must be because they just are using the magic formula.
I do know how to use them. I can trowel up a wall with them. Any half decent spread can. The problem is they do absolutely nothing that another trowel can't do. They finish it no quicker. They finish it no better. You just have to use 2 trowels and **** about more. They are just a toy that bored plasterers are spending their wages on to brighten up their days at work. But at the same time whatever floats your boat

Last edited:
I find this all quite amusing that you slate a tool that you either can not use or have no idea how to.I get perfect results with mine as have the savvy to change my timings to make the tool work. If you can not understand how to work with something new do not bother trying. As for something bendy and ****.. I Believe this not to be the case. I know loads of local spreads trying this out for the first time who thought its got to be used as a normal trowel like an mt and its not the case .. I spoke to them and they realized how easy it was to use without any bumps or ripples Once they changed timings. Its not ****. it does work and i will be happy to prove it to any non believer on here. Thank you .Good night and much love

You have the Savvy lol you tit. Absolute genius

The trowel isn't designed to and won't make anyone a better Plasterer.

What the trowel has been designed to do is achieve the desired level of finish with less effort and more importantly less stress on the body.

We have had several people call us saying they have had a slight issue with bumps etc, we have advised them to have another go but change their timings slightly and the way they use the trowel. This is what we have been advised to say by many Plasterers who use the s*p*r*lex.

9 times out of 10 this advise has worked and the guys have come round and seen the real benefits of using a s*p*r*lex

The reviews we have had on the trowels have been fantastic, in all honestly better than we could have wished for. Yes there are some who can't get on with them but that is always to be expected. By no means are we saying the guys who can't get on with it don't know what they are doing, it just doesn't suit their style of Plastering and that is fair enough

No matter what trowel you use the finish you get is all down to the guy on the end of it. The s*p*r*lex makes this easier for you to achieve with less effort

From the reviews we have had from hundreds of plasterers it is due to the Flexibility of the trowel, the weight and the balancing. It requires less pressure when finishing a wall, therefore making it easier on the wrist, elbow and shoulder.

Weight and balancing I can understand. I actually had one in my hand yesterday Ryan believe in or not. I don't get why the extra flexibility is a good thing. And if you have savvy like my mate chrisjack231 you'll know you don't need to push hard with a normal trowel. The only time you do is if it's going off at which point a super flex wouldn't be any good.

The trowel isn't designed to and won't make anyone a better Plasterer.

What the trowel has been designed to do is achieve the desired level of finish with less effort and more importantly less stress on the body.

We have had several people call us saying they have had a slight issue with bumps etc, we have advised them to have another go but change their timings slightly and the way they use the trowel. This is what we have been advised to say by many Plasterers who use the s*p*r*lex.

9 times out of 10 this advise has worked and the guys have come round and seen the real benefits of using a s*p*r*lex

The reviews we have had on the trowels have been fantastic, in all honestly better than we could have wished for. Yes there are some who can't get on with them but that is always to be expected. By no means are we saying the guys who can't get on with it don't know what they are doing, it just doesn't suit their style of Plastering and that is fair enough
S

No matter what trowel you use the finish you get is all down to the guy on the end of it
. The s*p*r*lex makes this easier for you to achieve with less effort

Spot on, its a trowel not a magic wand.. it makes the job easier on the body by gliding over the finish, thats why its imperative to flatten the 2nd coat down properly ( then no ridges )... just try using it like stated , and I am positive it will work for everyone...

haven't got 1 myself but have plaza etc...I would say because you can go flatten earlier whilst gears wetter thus not having to apply as much pressure on joints etc

See but I have a plastic trowel. And I can't get on it any earlier than with my steel. I can't help thinking people need to learn how to use their normal trowels first lol

i was merely asking the method that others use i spose lol, im obviously a very experienced plasterer with so many years of it under my belt. im aware that you dont get the same feedback through a trowel with a softer blade. i just wondered how you fellas use it to get the best result, think i'll just chuck it in the skip....cheers:RpS_thumbup:

I have to agree with Ryan,I do find it much easier to finish with,I feel it is less strenuous on your body and less effort to get the same finish as say a mt.i have a 16"sf and premium,a 14" and 11" mt and the 16"sf is less strenuous than the 11" to trowel up with,it's the last two trowels I use it for and its the last two trowels that you exert the most force when troweling.

Nice compliment Nick Ty. Reminds me of being back at primary School when if you wouldn't share your best toy. we had to resort to telling lies.. Please keep your comments to yourself as i never called you a name so i would prefer if you did the same.I do understand if you find it hard to act like a grown up.Try harder. You call me another name i will understand and will not reply .I have better things to do than listen to the likes of you

I really cant understand how a professional plasterer can struggle with these trowels, the finish and ridges is all down to the person holding the trowel, the flexibility tells you straight away its not for hard trowelling like mt or whatever trowel you use, less water and get trowelling sooner, softer gear less friction less pressure required what's not to like?

Nice compliment Nick Ty. Reminds me of being back at primary School when if you wouldn't share your best toy. we had to resort to telling lies.. Please keep your comments to yourself as i never called you a name so i would prefer if you did the same.I do understand if you find it hard to act like a grown up.Try harder. You call me another name i will understand and will not reply .I have better things to do than listen to the likes of you

You just come across a bit of a smart arse saying people are commenting on a tool they don't know how to use or aren't able to but you have the savvy to suss it

And you're welcome ❤

I really cant understand how a professional plasterer can struggle with these trowels, the finish and ridges is all down to the person holding the trowel, the flexibility tells you straight away its not for hard trowelling like mt or whatever trowel you use, less water and get trowelling sooner, softer gear less friction less pressure required what's not to like?

it's not a case of struggling. It's just that everything u just stated it does a normal trowel does

yes a normal trowel will do this, I was a single trowel plasterer for 29 yrs before moving with the times and three years later I use a speedskim and a nela s*p*r*lex. The use of less water is a bonus the flexi glides over finish with less friction equating to less fatigue and makes the job easier , it is all personnel preference and I need to make the job easier so I can carry on working upto my retirement , I get some people are stuck in their way and let them carry on with there own way , but with you and your agenda with Ryan im taking this with a pinch of salt

Status
Not open for further replies.