s*p*r*lex someone enlighten me please

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly as much as me and Ryan love each other I wouldn't be arguing the toss because Ryan sells a flexible trowel. If I was he'd just have my posts deleted and the thread closed as usual.

Flexible trowels have been around for years. And marshaltown have just brought one out also.
Again I have to argue the toss only because you can trowel with a steel trowel with little to no water. That's how you're supposed to trowel up. Do you see where I'm coming from. The sets the same length. The finish is arguably the same. I just can't see the benefit.
A refina super flex spat tho I do like. Wasn't a fan of the speed skim atall.

As you said yes it's personal preference. I just don't get the massive raving reviews. It's doesn't perform miracles yet everyone reviews spats and trowels every bloody day on here

Last edited:
Its a trowel be all end all , I personally think its a decent bit of kit , I like the spat for ceilings makes lite work of them, its all personnel choice and I have a duraflex trowel made by Marshalltown but I use it for applying the gear bit stiffer than the supaflex's that's out , I can see your point as well but for some people it might be a blessing in disguise(fat marks and such) and its a forum to talk about plastering related topics ,so reviews are going to be written

i use mine like cassie does now have been doing so for a while only difference is i still use my mt for the first trowel the switch to the s*p*r*lex for the final, find its alot less pressure on my wrist ill be honest i had a bad break in my wrist few years ago and after doing this job for so many years the already knackered joint started screaming at me for a break but a break doesnt pay the bills and feed the kids so yes i did start looking for some miracle cure that would make work easier for me to carry on but i have come to the conclusion that nothing beats a mt trowel my s*p*r*lex just gives my wrist a rest near the end of my set.
and they all lived happily ever after

If troweling up with a normal trowel isn't strenuous anyway then may I ask why a good percent of spreads end up with problems in their wrist/elbow/shoulder? Anything to save or even delay that happening to me.

I assume because they're busting their arse on price for 30 years. Doesn't matter what trowel you're using at that point

Could it be that supaflex's are generaly quicker to "break in"
Than marshels.....and everyone seems to of stepped up the size of thier trowels (+spats and speedskims etc).

Has life been made easier from these facts alone ??

The only time ridges in skimming with supaflex is if ive bent it ....
And only slightly bent it without even knowing.

the lad I work with flattens with mt from there on crosses with supaflex his work looks like a machine placed the finish on the walls.

You said it yourself, busting yer balls comes with the trade be it on price trying to earn a quid,like me when it's really busy trying to cram jobs in at night or on your knees all day screeding floors it won't stop in our lifetime,so for me il try and make the rest of my years as a spread as easy as pos.:)

I assume because they're busting their arse on price for 30 years. Doesn't matter what trowel you're using at that point

I was in your crew for months, couldn't see the point of them. I didn't see any benefit and gave it a good go to try and find out why they were being talked up so much.

When i stopped thinking it was a magic wand for everything and only used it for 2nd trowel onwards the benefits showed through.

It is easier on my body and personally i think it's tidied my work up. I use zero water on a mix now every time and the walls look cleaner. I go home not aching anymore. Maybe a coincidence but it'd be a big one because i've had back and shoulder pain for years.

I'm not here to bum nela though just giving u my side

Like jace i had a bad wrist break years ago, had to have a bone graft + find the s*p*r*lex alot easier + lighter on my wrist but only use it after getting it flat with speedskim or mt for first trowel. Had to use mt all way thro a month or so ago for a couple of days cos 1st nela had to go back + defo felt the difference, wrist ached liked like id been wanking non stop for a week!

Fuuck me my wrist always starts to feel it towards the end of the day no matter what trowel I use......spats keep the pain away.

Status
Not open for further replies.